Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
200 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 199

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

beveled glass
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wogec
See User information
Hi all,
I am searching for someone who reproduces beveled glass. I need the rear view mirror and a wind wing for the 1929 model 645 seven passenger sedan reproduced. Does anyone have a recommendation for who might take this on? Also, the rear view mirror is noticeably dark. Is that intentional (was tinted glass a thing in 1929?), or just due to 94 years of aging. Your thoughts and recommendations on both issues are greatly appreciated.

John Wogec

Attach file:

jpg  mirror.jpg (114.04 KB)
4844_650b5c159ddc7.jpg 1080X810 px

jpg  full size.jpg (78.71 KB)
4844_650b5c2653bed.jpg 810X1080 px

Posted on: 2023/9/20 15:55
 Top  Print   

Re: beveled glass
Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Most glass shops can bevel glass. The questions are 1) will they do it on a small job, 2) cost and is it possible on mirror? It may be cheaper to send your existing mirror out for re-silvering.

I opted for going non-beveled with a size readily available at a classic car parts house.

Posted on: 2023/9/20 16:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
I am not sure about the tint, I suspect it is not, as tinted glass was a big deal starting in the 50's. I seem to remember an ad with Raymond Burr (of Perry Mason fame at the time) extolling the virtues of tinted glass keeping his car cool.
I see what you mean about it being darker, but clear safety glass would pass for it too unless you hang a white item in the window to compare.
I had all mine cut new with a light green tint and it looks clear after installation but does cut UV.
Here, the mirror with the bezel can be cut by a specialty glass company in town. I suspect if you call a firm in your local area that cuts glass for homes they will be able to help you out. I doubt you would need to worry about tempering or safety glass in a rear view mirror. Nice too that it is a rectangle and not a fancy ellipse or anything difficult to match in shape.
Bob J.

Posted on: 2023/9/20 16:06
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

GaryinSC
See User information
You might try a local stained glass studio. I had an Ivory handled cosmetic mirror resilvered and they did it beautifully. You also might look at Restoration Supply they have several sizes available.

Posted on: 2023/9/20 17:00
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved