Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
136 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 135

Marty or Marston, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'37 Packard 120 convertible sedan Weather stripping
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dbedsole
See User information
I have a '37 120 sedan convertible but do not know where the weather stripping goes around the doors - none was on the car when I purchased it. I would appreciate a photo of how to install around the doors and also a profile picture of what the weather stripping looks like.

Thanks
Dwight

Posted on: 2023/10/14 14:36
 Top  Print   

Re: '37 Packard 120 convertible sedan Weather stripping
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
Back then they used 'Windlace", it is a cotton cording wrapped in a bias woven fabric and is trapped between the kick panel and the inside cowl on the front, then between the B pillar wood trim and B pillar on my 2 door, not sure of the exact geometry on your sedan.
As you can see in the two pictures I attached, Since there was very little curve to the convertible seam I simply used the same material as my seats and wrapped around 1/2 diameter cotton cording I got at an upholstery supply shop. That would not work on a closed car as the tight curves all the way around a door would cause pleats and kinks, but ours stop at the belt line/door tops.
Hope this helps.
Bob J.

Attach file:

jpg  Front Windlace.JPG (142.01 KB)
225215_652b1109e185e.jpg 1920X1320 px

jpg  Rear Windlace.JPG (132.24 KB)
225215_652b11161f0f7.jpg 1920X1639 px

Posted on: 2023/10/14 17:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
The '37 120 literature (Service letters(?) mentions foam door weather strip as an addition in cases of air leaks. It was sold by the foot and cemented in place. Apparently, some '37 120s came with it, in addition to the regular windlace. Some service material mentions a metal channelon the door to hold the rubber. My '37 120 convertible has no such metal channels, and no evidence of ever having had any rubber gaskets on the doors. The doors still wear original paint. My experience with windlace is that it usually leaks.
My car does have a rubber strip across the bottom of the doors that meets the aluminum trim piece when the door is shut. Adding rubber gaskets to cars not originally equipped with them required modifying the rubber door bumpers slightly. The procedure is given in one of the Service Letters available on this site. (1936, 1937 or maybe 1938)

Posted on: 2023/10/14 18:12
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Convertibles had much less weather stripping than closed cars.

Hence the leather vs fabric.

Posted on: 2023/10/15 11:33
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
My biggest concern is keeping dust out, since I can't avoid some dirt road driving. Better weather stripping also prevents water intrusion when washing the car. Wind noise is another factor, although I don't notice any excess wind noise around the doors. I'd like to have a blower with outside air access to blow air under pressure into the car. I see no way to do that without cutting exterior sheet metal.

Posted on: 2023/10/15 13:22
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dbedsole
See User information
Thanks for the response. Interesting that Packard relied on windlace to keep both wind and water from intruding the cabin. I have the channels and rubber weatherstrip seals for the top to door glass and windshield to quarter window seal and thought that there were seals around the doors since Kanter shows two options in their catalog for '37 door weatherstrip. I can see how the door bumpers would be problematic.

Posted on: 2023/10/15 14:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Packard recommended grinding down the rubber bumpers just enough to allow for the strip-type gasketing. The combination of a perimeter gasket and windlace is much to be preferred. If you add gaskets, you might have to loosen the latch adjustments a little to get the doors to shut properly without slamming. After the gaskets take a set, you could re-adjust the latches for best alignment. The instructions are fairly comprehensive on procedure. I can't remember exactly where I came across the information, but it's in the Literature Archive, probably in the pre-war Service Letters or body manuals.

Posted on: 2023/10/15 18:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
It was common practice back then for autos to only have wind lacing around the door openings. Gaskets came along later, but the wind lacing remained as a way to trim the openings.

Posted on: 2023/10/16 13:47
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved