Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
139 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 138

TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 37 38 39 (40) 41 42 43 ... 48 »

Re: Resurrecting a 1951 Henney-Packard Parts Car
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I would like to order battery cables for this car but have not found a good source for the 0 or 00 gauge that can make the braided one with the proper flat end. Any ideas?

Also, does anyone know the lengths? My notes show 20" long for the braided positive cable and 40" long for the negative but these seem rather long to me.

Update: I found another note that says that the cable in my 1954 Patrician is a Delco-Packard 1E-41 which likely indicates that it is 41" long. However, the senior 1954 Packards have a larger solenoid post than found on the earlier cars so does anyone have a Delco-Packard chart? I located a 1U-41 but not sure of the solenoid connector size or whether it's for the negative post or not.

Posted on: 2023/9/23 11:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
1953 Packard Cable catalog shows 1U or 1L 30 for the battery to switch cable and 5U or 5L 23 for battery to ground for all 1951-53 Packard cars
The first number 1 indicates an insulated cable while 5 indicates a braided ground strap.
The second number U indicates a leaded brass terminal and L indicates a "leadalloy" terminal
23 and 30 indicates the approximate length in inches

Posted on: 2023/9/23 16:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Thank you so much! That's exactly what I needed to know. Interesting that my 1954 has a 40" (or 41") cable as it doesn't seem excessive but it may be routed along the inner fender rather than going directly from the battery terminal to the solenoid post. It is, I believe, 0 or 00 GA and the car always cranks nicely.

Posted on: 2023/9/23 16:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I’m heading up to my shop for the first couple weeks in November but had a terrible time booking the flights! Usually I try to find a morning flight out of San José that with a very brief layover in Seattle gets me there in the early afternoon. This time however, the only flights were VERY early in the morning with an all-day layover in Seattle or Los Angeles, arriving closer to midnight! I ended up booking on another airline from San Francisco which will be a bit of a drive but no layover as it’s direct, arriving (if all goes well) a little after noon.

That said, I managed to get some battery cables but for the ground strap, 2 ga was the largest I could find which, according to many people, is what the factory used. That seems rather small but I guess it’s short enough to somewhat compensate. The new negative cable is, I believe 0 ga but might even be 00.

The fuel system is all installed and ready so I am hoping to try to fire up the engine during this visit even though it’s not going anywhere yet with no rear brakes. I’ll try to work on those too

Before putting in petrol I need to be sure that the tank is grounded and I need to replace a couple head studs where someone put in bolts instead while also adding some that are missing. I have a tool that I hope will do the job without having to remove the head but if it does need to be removed, I have a new head gasket.

Posted on: 2023/9/29 15:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Is there some trick in getting the governor installed when the transmission is in the car? Try as I might, the threads won't engage. I even removed the rubber boot in order to give more space around it but that didn't help.

Posted on: 2023/10/22 20:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
I have cables made at a local battery shop, braided or rubber coated, they can do them all.

Posted on: 2023/10/28 19:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
I got my battery cables made from these guys: https://www.batterycablesusa.com/.

0 and 00 available, specify length, etc. Cost was reasonable and it arrived within a few days.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2023/10/28 22:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Getting cables made wasn’t the problem, The problem was in 0 or 00 with the braided cable as it would have require a round end connector which would have looked odd.

Posted on: 2023/10/29 1:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Once the Limo is on the road, You can simply have your driver run you up to OR.
:)

Posted on: 2023/10/29 8:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I would have to get some cots for it first! Otherwise the rear floor is quite hard.

Posted on: 2023/10/29 15:12
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 37 38 39 (40) 41 42 43 ... 48 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved