Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
195 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 194

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 134 135 136 (137) 138 139 140 ... 148 »

Re: Stewart's 1955 Packard 400
Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
A few months ago I installed a GM headlight switch. The switch itself is fine but the small threaded part that connects it to the bezel turned out to be way too small. It was only holding on to both parts with maybe 2 threads each. After pulling the switch a few times it just fell out.

I made the part from an existing part (and instructions from Howard) that came with the GM switch. It has a really unique thread (7/16-28). You cannot buy a bolt with that thread anyplace. So I had to make my own.

I had to buy a tap and die and a 7/16 steel rod. It only took 3 tries to get it right. I think it cost me about $45 to make this little part. You can see the size difference in the image below.

One question for you folks. How are the tail lights grounded? I assume that grounding comes from the metal bulb casing but the tail housing that it fits into does not appear to be metallic. Am I crazy?

Attach file:

jpg  20231008_161935_resized.jpg (256.48 KB)
5209_6535779682cec.jpg 1512X1512 px

Posted on: 2023/10/22 14:26
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
My attachment screw must have been longer although I was careful to remove only the hex portion of the original. It extends out the same amount as the original so it can screw into the bezel full distance and still extends into the switch housing a fair distance. I had more trouble with getting the triangular shaft fitting the knob tightly than with the mounting to the dash.

As to the tail light ground, the bulbs do ground thru the socket shells which IIRC, is either crimped or held by push in socket prongs to the pot metal housing. 4 mounting studs screw into the housing and pass thru holes in the fender in spots sort of in the middle to lower third of housing. Ground is established to the entire tail light housing thru those studs and attaching nuts.

Posted on: 2023/10/22 14:54
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
I have been so careful with these original sidelight lenses trying not to break them and then I bumped this one off the table today and broke off the corner of it.

I have a feeling these are not going to be easy to replace.

I have been working on the interior lighting and doors lately. It has been slow progress but it is coming together.

I have the interior dome lights working with the headlight switch and the door jamb switches. The headlights and tail & brake lights are working. I need to get all these done before the interior is completed.

Attach file:

jpg  20231030_133611_resized.jpg (164.28 KB)
5209_653ff1ad3403d.jpg 1512X1512 px

Posted on: 2023/10/30 13:18
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Those were in reproduction at one time and may still be. Dell posted that fact a few years ago so he might comment again or if not, you can try the name and number in this post to see if it is still active or if the lens is still a project. Tucson Packards may also have some as they sometimes carry repro items other vendors do not.

IIRC an early repro offering was a clear lens but don't believe that lens was entirely correct. Don't remember if that was due to the repro itself or because there was a difference between 55-6 lenses. Someone else came up with a milky white lens closer to what you show.

Posted on: 2023/10/30 13:54
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Depending on the quality you need, there are plenty of hazy fair condition ones floating around for cheap. If I were you I would go with a repro though probably.

Posted on: 2023/10/30 16:27
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Try Tucson Packards first, then Max Merritt as one or the other should have NOS lenses. Of course to match, you’ll need to get a pair. As for being milky, I’m sure that’s not how they were originally!

Posted on: 2023/10/30 17:00
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I'm sure Gerry at Packard Southwest has a pile of them for sale.

Posted on: 2023/10/30 18:54
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
I have a new pair of lenses on the way from Gerry. I just assumed that a decent pair would be hard to find. Those exterior parts take a beating.

I have a question about these courtesy lights.

If I am reading the wiring image correctly. The light with 1 wire comes on with the tail lights and the one with 2 wires comes on anytime the dome lights are on. Is that correct?

Posted on: 2023/11/1 12:40
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe 55 works same as the 56 HT with main difference being they changed from 2 single function door switches in 55 to a single switch with dual function in 56.

Smaller single wire bulb does turn on with tail lights. Other bulb is larger and turns on when a front door opens. The doors also operate the interior courtesy lights but turning the interior lights on manually with the headlight sw turned to the left does not turn the outside light on.

Attach file:

jpg  light.jpg (81.73 KB)
209_654298f2e5ea1.jpg 1076X356 px

Posted on: 2023/11/1 13:29
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Perfect response from Howard. The only other thing to note is that the small bulb is grounded in the lamp, but the large is grounded thru the front door switches. If one is not lighting, troubleshoot accordingly.

Posted on: 2023/11/1 15:13
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 134 135 136 (137) 138 139 140 ... 148 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved