Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
223 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 223

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Led stop light and turn signal bulbs
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rscott77x
See User information
I want to upgrade my stop light and turn signal bulbs to LEDs.
Of course I want them brighter! Anyone have experience with this change?

Posted on: 2023/11/6 12:24
 Top  Print   

Re: Led stop light and turn signal bulbs
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I am a fan of LEDs and have done it on several cars. Note, however, that for the turn signals, you'll also have to replace the flasher unit to a solid state type as the old mechanical type requires a higher load than LEDs provide so the flashers won't work. The solid state flasher units will typically also need to have a ground wire to attach somewhere.

Posted on: 2023/11/6 13:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Electronic flashers come in both pos and neg ground so be sure to buy the correct version. Also on a 47, to use the electronic flasher you will need to eliminate the ring terminals on the wires and convert to a flasher socket or use quick disconnect type terminals on the individual wires. There is no provision on the flasher to be able to use the original screw mounting at the steering bracket so you will need to fabricate or provide some kind of clamp arrangement around the flasher can to utilize the stock location and mount.

Posted on: 2023/11/6 13:39
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rscott77x
See User information
Many thanks for your input

Posted on: 2023/11/6 19:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
This is bright idea! I think I'll put it on the list of projects for my 53 Cavalier.

Posted on: 2023/11/7 0:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
If you just want "brighter" they make halogens in most of the old sizes. I know I have pair of NOS 7" halogen rounds I picked up at auction, and tail lights, etc exist. There's website (bulbs,com? or something) that sells all kinds of bulbs and LED equals. I put halogen on the Cad. but 12VDC-, four light. I have a bunch of square one sets, too. Not to mention my 27 fuel pumps, but that's another story.
Some LED bulbs are direct plug in also, no changes, but not sure about 6 +.
LEDs themselves are not and require different voltage but may operate fine on 6VDC, but not sure about + grd. My diode brain cell is out to lunch right now preceding me.
PS: expect a little LED bulb sticker shock also. Dome light went out on P/U last week and a regular was $3 and LED $8. They've realized they won't sell as many. I tried one anyway and got a few regulars for the spot lights.

Posted on: 2023/11/7 12:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
For standard 7" headlights, my preference would be these LEDs in the Economy style lens option which looks very vintage. They work from 3.5v to 24v and are polarity insensitive. The economy lens shows out of stock but a new supply is expected later this week.

The specification says that they draw only 16 watts but one owner tested theirs and said the measurements showed it closer to 20 watts which is still a very low draw on our older wiring.

Posted on: 2023/11/7 13:46
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved