Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
141 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 141

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Carpet Restoration
Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Sprucing up my Cavalier's original carpet. This was the test piece, now onto the rest.

Attach file:

jpg  Carpet 1.jpg (175.26 KB)
226104_655c446026eb3.jpg 420X2048 px

jpg  Carpet 8.jpg (233.61 KB)
226104_655c4470084f7.jpg 710X2016 px

Posted on: 2023/11/21 0:50
 Top  Print   

Re: Carpet Restoration
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Russell Harmon
See User information
53 Cavalier , what is your process for restoration?

Posted on: 2023/11/21 1:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

Russell Harmon wrote:
53 Cavalier , what is your process for restoration?

First was a lot of research, then a bit of experimenting, which lead to this.

I had the carpet professionally cleaned. Then using Rit All Purpose Dye, which I mixed in a spray bottle, I sprayed the entire carpet and worked the dye in with a brush. This next step I'm not sure how effective it was as I didn't do any testing, but I used my heat gun and went over the entire carpet thinking it would help set the dye. The banding was still a bit scruffy so I masked off the carpet and sprayed the banding with Duplicolor vinyl and fabric paint.

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out because it looks good, but not too good, which is perfect for my car. And it's still the original carpet, which I like, because my car is all pretty original.

Attach file:

jpg  Carpet 4.jpg (544.09 KB)
226104_655c4c0b0bb47.jpg 1512X2016 px

jpg  Carpet 5.jpg (262.91 KB)
226104_655c4c1b5687d.jpg 1512X2016 px

jpg  Carpet 6.jpg (310.54 KB)
226104_655c4c466f8f2.jpg 1512X2016 px

Posted on: 2023/11/21 1:23
 Top  Print   
Like (2)

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Rich49
See User information
Good tip, tks for sharing

Posted on: 2023/11/21 6:17
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Russell Harmon
See User information
53 Cavalier, thanks for sharing your process. Results look great, and as you said best part is you get the retain the originality of the car.

Posted on: 2023/11/21 9:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Did you wash out the excess RIT dye?
If not, it can run onto something else when it gets wet again.
I've had new denim stain my light colored leather, before they were repeated washings.
Looks good otherwise.
After posting on some of this, I was thinking one of those hand held carpet cleaning attachments that spray cleaning agent and apply vacuum to pick up fluid might be a DIY to pro cleaning for door panels etc. It's what one does in the house. I've cleaned my carpets that way and they come out nice but they're not 70 years old. They 'oriental' rug cleaners deal with age and old dyes.
I have a floor dryer that I use on the boat - no heat. Fairly inexpensive at the chinese tool takeouts.
From my view, I don't see much sense if a piece of new carpet would do the same... I put new in the Cad but floors have to be sound/watertight..

Posted on: 2023/11/21 11:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

Fish'n Jim wrote:
Did you wash out the excess RIT dye?
If not, it can run onto something else when it gets wet again.
I've had new denim stain my light colored leather, before they were repeated washings.
Looks good otherwise.
After posting on some of this, I was thinking one of those hand held carpet cleaning attachments that spray cleaning agent and apply vacuum to pick up fluid might be a DIY to pro cleaning for door panels etc. It's what one does in the house. I've cleaned my carpets that way and they come out nice but they're not 70 years old. They 'oriental' rug cleaners deal with age and old dyes.
I have a floor dryer that I use on the boat - no heat. Fairly inexpensive at the chinese tool takeouts.
From my view, I don't see much sense if a piece of new carpet would do the same... I put new in the Cad but floors have to be sound/watertight..

I haven't rinsed out excess dye from the carpet, at least not yet. I did wipe it with a wet rag to see if any dye was picked up, and there was none. I'm not too concerned about the carpet as it's not likely to ever get wet and I'll have floor mats.

I'll be dying the seat covers as well, but they will have a different process, not spraying, so they will get rinsed to make sure dye doesn't transfer to clothing.

Posted on: 2023/11/22 12:39
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packard51
See User information
Nice work!!

Posted on: 2023/11/22 16:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
It's a sad day.

I discovered today that the bright idea of taking my carpets to the dry cleaners, instead of cleaning them myself, was not a bright idea after all.

This picture shows how much they shrunk them. So much for my all original interior......very disappointing.

I guess I'll be making, or buying, a carpet set. Does anyone have any advice? Is there a supplier for original looking carpet? Is there someone that makes a carpet set that fits well?

TIA

This is the first big cock up on my Cavalier, and it doesn't sit well with me.

Attach file:

jpg  Shrunk.jpg (322.08 KB)
226104_65680ab3e4abc.jpg 756X1008 px

Posted on: 2023/11/29 23:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Wow, that's a lot of shrinkage. I'm kinda surprised it did that.

How similar would the original carpet be to modern boat carpet? That would be readily available and could be easily cut and binding sewn by an upholsterer. Lots of colors to choose from also, so should be able to get something close.

Posted on: 11/30 1:26
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved