Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
197 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 196

37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Yet another fugitive from the C. Lewis Ablelove auction comes up for sale
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Wat scores his anvils (my pet term) eyeball-to-eyeball, cash in hand, and a .45 on the truckseat close at hand. There will be no fleecing of Wat.

Posted on: 2023/11/22 5:25
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

r1lark
See User information
Quote:

Wat_Tyler wrote:
Wat scores his anvils (my pet term) eyeball-to-eyeball, cash in hand, and a .45 on the truckseat close at hand. There will be no fleecing of Wat.

Amen brother, that's the way I do it too unless I specifically know and trust the seller.

Posted on: 2023/11/22 8:22
Paul
www.studebakerskytop.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Quote:

r1lark wrote:
Quote:

Wat_Tyler wrote:

Amen brother, that's the way I do it too unless I specifically know and trust the seller.

As HPH indicated (I think), I've had good luck with Packard people. One guy in particular, we did 75 cents down by wire after several talks and a couple of visits and cash when we went to collect the first car. He said something about trusting him, and I reminded him that I knew where he lived, and he just laughed. He's one of the nicest people I've met in the last several years, and we go up for lunch once of twice a year and his missus stays in touch with the landlady.

In other news, Fred is transitioning nicely into housecatdom.

Posted on: 2023/11/22 15:17
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardsix1939
See User information
1954 Caribbean in Polaris Blue. I had posted this car earlier under another thread not realizing it was from the C. Louis Ablelove collection. It has just been relisted on Facebook Marketplace with a price drop. Original asking price was $12,500; seller has now dropped it to $10,500. Car was Lot No. 191. Hammer price at the auction in November 2021 was $3,250 and the top bidder was antnucci. As I noted earlier, this person purchased a total of 35 vehicles at the Phase 1 auction and another four vehicles at the Phase 2 auction in April of last year. Eight of his purchases were Caribbeans. This person now has several former auction cars listed for sale on Facebook, including 1953 and 1956 Caribbeans, a '48 Super Eight Convertible Victoria and a 1940 110 Coupe. Here is a link to the current Facebook ad for the '54. It appears to have been one of the nicer Caribbeans in the collection, but it will still require a full restoration:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1090495121919765/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post

Here is a picture of the car from the auction catalog.

P.S. Happy Thanksgiving to all!!

Attach file:

jpg  Lot_191_CLL_112021.jpg (38.65 KB)
225503_655f8124af02d.jpg 600X400 px

Posted on: 2023/11/23 11:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Again...

Is there a secret code word (like "Tse-tse fly") one has to use? Does one need to know a secret handshake?

• The phone listed does not work. Try it.

• The email listed does not give responses.

A FB inquiry to the poster gets no response.

• Inquiries to the web site page for the tow company get no response.

So... if you have a connection to the seller and IF this is not a secret sale, but is real, I for one would love to get a chance to ask questions!

That's all.

Thanks.

Posted on: 2023/11/23 13:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
It appears as though the seller wishes that you FB message him your phone number and he will call you. If he were selling anything I had interest in, I'd do it myself, but I won't waste the man's time otherwise.

Posted on: 2023/11/23 16:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Wat_Tyler wrote:
It appears as though the seller wishes that you FB message him your phone number and he will call you. If he were selling anything I had interest in, I'd do it myself, but I won't waste the man's time otherwise.

I already stated that a FB message got ZERO response.

My time is important too. Everybody's time is important.

I also mentioned that the towing business phone number is NOT working despite a web page listing.

I give up. I've bought Packards all over the country. Sold them too. In fact, at least a couple of the Packards in the original Abelove collection came from me. BUT... in over 50 years of dealing with Packards and looking at sales... I'm very, very sorry if I am the only one who thinks this one as listed here is BIZARRE.

Bentleys flying 20 feet in the air and exploding in flames. A guy in Las Vegas with 17 moving violations STILL driving and running a red light at 103 MPH, killing 8 people. A guy in Atlanta snuffing a poor waitress because she put too much mayo on his sandwich! The new normal. The world has changed THAT much. WOW.

Posted on: 2023/11/24 15:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardsix1939
See User information
Leeedy: I am very sorry that you were not able to contact the seller for the ads I posted. I agree that it apparently makes no sense. This individual bought a total of 39 cars st the C.Louis Ablelove auctions and has listed several for resale, at least one as far back as last year. His total investment in the cars was quite significant and he must have been planning all along to try to resell at least some for a profit. No one could restore that many cars, not even in several lifetimes. So, one would think he would be eager to recoup his investment and would be responsive to any inquiries.

I had an incident recently where I answered an ad for a Packard and the seller never responded. Again, no explanation why. I think that sometime people are not really serious about selling and just want to see how many responses they get, just for the heck of it. Or they are potential scammers.

All I can say is that I hope you have better luck next time you respond to an ad. I post ad links on this site with the hope of connecting a car to a buyer who will either preserve or restore it and there were a number of cars at the C.Louis Ablelove auctions that I would like to see saved. It is disappointing to me as well if these cars are not going to good homes because of issues with the current owner not being responsive to prospective buyers.

Posted on: 2023/11/24 16:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

r1lark
See User information
Quote:

Leeedy wrote:
I'm very, very sorry if I am the only one who thinks this one as listed here is BIZARRE.

Yes, it is bizarre. But you are preaching to the choir. Probably all of us have had similar experiences of sellers not responding to inquiries.

Posted on: 2023/11/24 17:14
Paul
www.studebakerskytop.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I put in an offer recently and never got a response and my offer was close to their asking price which stated OBO. Even if they had gotten a better offer, the courtesy of a reply would have been nice!

Posted on: 2023/11/24 19:00
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved