Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
205 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 205

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Copart has a Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

packardsix1939
See User information
1955 Clipper Super Sedan. Believe it or not, it actually looks like a pretty nice car. Don't see any rust and the interior is very clean. Body tag says Paint BA which was Tourmaline over Jade, but the car is all one color, and it looks like a blue/green shade. Car is in Newburg, NY. Can be yours for $5,900. Only issue I see in the photos is that the hood ornament is broken off.

https://www.copart.com/lot/74386853/clean-title-1955-packard-coupe-ny-newburgh

Posted on: 11/30 16:29
 Top  Print   

Re: Copart has a Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Claims very low mileage... is not a coupe... would look good with a white top. Interior looks original and unworn.
Is it running?

Posted on: 11/30 17:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
It's obvious from the data plate that it was repainted, they probably tried to match the original Jade color... it's a decent match. Here is what the correct paint job looks like.

Click to see original Image in a new window

In my opinion, if you were to paint it, flipping the colors to be Jade over Tourmaline would look the best.

The car is also unusually optioned, with power brakes and two heaters, but the cheapest radio (nor power antenna or rear speaker) and no reverse lights, meaning that it also would not have the Clipper Convenience Package of a trunk light and washer. No engine shots so can't tell if it has PS or an oil filter (though surely the latter).

Posted on: 11/30 19:04
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardsix1939
See User information
Yes. I am not sure why Copart referred to the car as a coupe in the ad, but I frequently see similar mistakes when the person who put up the posting is obviously not an old car person. Not sure if it runs, but probably not. What seems to be happening is that an elderly collector passes on and the kids have no idea what to do with dad's non-running project car. All they know is that they need it out of the house so they can put it on the market. Or, they tried to sell it on Craigslist or FB Marketplace and had no luck because it is not a popular make or model. So, they call Copart. They will buy literally anything. Right now, they have two pretty nice 1920's Studebakers, both are sedans. But there isn't much of a market anymore for cars like these

Posted on: 11/30 19:13
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Didn't cops like 20s Studebakers because they were tough and would catch most other cars in a chase? I'd like to have one, regardless.

Posted on: 12/1 12:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardsix1939
See User information
Never heard about cops in the 1920's using Studebakers. I did hear that cops in Chicago during that time period preferred Lincolns because they had a V-8 and were pretty fast for the day. Reportedly, a lot of gangsters preferred Cadillacs, which is how Caddys got the reputation at the time of being associated with criminal elements. Capone had a bullet-proof 1928 Cadillac limo specially built for his use. This car still exists. Packards, as we know, represented "old money". If you were a well-to-do high society type, you drove a Packard. Your bootlegger drove a Cadillac.

The two 1920's Studebakers now on Copart are a 1928 Commander sedan and a 1925 two door sedan. The 1925 appears to be a Standard Six Coach model. The '28 has a "Buy it Now" price of $18,500, but the high bid is now only up to $3,750 with 2 days left to go in the auction. The '25 has not yet come up for auction and is listed on the site as an Upcoming Lot. The lot info for this car indicates that it runs and drives. The '28 does not appear to be running at present because the front tires are flat. But they do both look like nice cars, good older restorations that could be used as is without any major cosmetic work.

Posted on: 12/1 13:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
The car is also unusually optioned, with power brakes and two heaters,

Green cars in 55 seemed to be plentiful and an issue even to the point Nance wrote a memo to the vice president in charge of production wanting to know why and that dealers were complaining because they had customers ordering one color only to get a green car as their shipment.

It is surprising the number of low option radio/heater only type cars or even low end bare bones cars that did have power brakes. Possibly Packard's campaign to promote power brakes as a safety feature started when the brake option came about in 52 was still going on. There might have even been dealer incentives.

Not sure it has two heaters though. Cannot see the right hand fan switch well enough to read the label but I believe I can see FAN and maybe speeds above it so probably a standard heater. The switch on the left that would be for the optional underseat unit is blank. It would just have a knob screwed onto a stud that was used to hold the dummy blank label in the recess in the vent control casting. When the underseat heater was installed the blank label was removed, switch added and a new label saying REAR FAN replaced the blank.

Posted on: 12/1 13:24
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
I agree Howard, clearly it's only one heater. Not sure why I thought otherwise as I have a car of each and know the difference 😅 I must have been tired.

Posted on: 12/1 16:06
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardsix1939
See User information
Two more Packards now on Copart.com

1937 115C Touring Sedan. Needs work but looks like a pretty solid car. Located in Scranton, PA:

https://www.copart.com/lot/36860744/1937-packard-all-models-pa-scranton

1951 200 Deluxe Sedan. Not bad looking. Has standard shift. Nice interior; looks like it may have been redone. Sun Valley, CA:

https://www.copart.com/lot/82341223/clean-title-1951-packard-packard-ca-sun-valley

Posted on: 1/17 14:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
anybody a registered bidder on Copart? I think I can find a home for the 115c at the right price.

Posted on: 1/17 22:53
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved