Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
165 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 165

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Re: 1956 Packard Patrician for Project or Parts- Asking $3,000
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Carl Jr
See User information
There are other items which might be Packard related - albeit for earlier models in Dad's family in the decades before this one. I found these spare parts in the basement or in the trunk of the Patrician

* dash clocks & hood ornament est. 40's era (already went to family)

* Delco Radio (available- images attached)

* filter (available- image attached)

* two glass jar things / I wonder if they might be lamps (available- bad images attached, better available in next day or two)

Could anybody comment - do these look identifiable, remarkably interesting or unusual?

Attach file:

jpg  Unknown Item- Glass Jar with Bracket - 1.jpg (461.10 KB)
225464_6579242cb3bfc.jpg 1116X1376 px

jpg  Unknown Item- Glass Jar with Bracket - 2nd one.jpg (105.02 KB)
225464_657924398fc81.jpg 543X527 px

jpg  20231016_221611011_iOS-Spare Filter.jpg (651.81 KB)
225464_65792447e457f.jpg 2048X1536 px

jpg  20230830_150226774_iOS-spare radio-2.jpg (1,593.69 KB)
225464_65792454d6c3e.jpg 1536X2048 px

jpg  20230830_150226774_iOS-spare radio-3.jpg (1,539.51 KB)
225464_6579245f12d4e.jpg 1980X3030 px

Posted on: 12/12 22:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Glass jar assys are Trico windshield washers and other brand cars also used them. In the Packard version, if it has only two hose connections - vacuum inlet and water outlet - on the lid it is for 51 to late 53 and maybe low end 54 models. If it has 2 wires and two plastic assys on the lid connected together with a short hose it is 54-56. If electric wire version, a black cap where the wires go is 6v and a red cap is 12v.

Second photo is an oil filter for most 46 to 54 engines.

The radio knob styling looks to be 51 - 52 and some 53 Clippers so that is probably the years. Can't see much of the pushbutton and dial area but think it is the standard push button version.

Posted on: 12/12 23:06
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Carl Jr wrote:
There are other items which might be Packard related - albeit for earlier models in Dad's family in the decades before this one. I found these spare parts in the basement or in the trunk of the Patrician

* two glass jar things / I wonder if they might be lamps (available- bad images attached, better available in next day or two)

Could anybody comment - do these look identifiable, remarkably interesting or unusual?

Hello...

The glass jars in the metal bracket holders are merely reservoirs for windshield washer fluid.

On a 1956 Patrician they would have been located in the engine compartment either on:
• Right-hand fender splash well for cars equipped with factory air and/or pushbutton transmission

• Left-hand fender splash well if not equipped with either pushbutton transmission or factory air conditioning.

Posted on: 12/12 23:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Alright everyone, I'm back from checking out the car. I took a good amount of video which I'm thinking I'll just splice together and put on YT as unlisted, meaning you can only watch it if you have the link. PM me if you want the link. For now, I will summarize the most important things below.

The fender relays appear to be completely original with the original wiring harnesses running down under the car with the exception of the motor power harness, which did not match up with the Packard colors as listed in the schematic. However, I can only deduce that the motor works the exact same way as the Packard motor, with dual field coils along with an armature and ground wire to enable the bidirectional rotation. I was able to confirm that the shifting motor is an Auto-Lite unit however I could not figure out how (or if) the various wires coming off of it were labeled so I was unable to tell exactly how it was wired. I find this a bit odd because as I understand the Packard unit was made by Auto-Lite, yet instead of reusing the Packard unit there appears to be another one hacked in. What I was able to tell is that the two orange wires going to the pressure switch are shorted, and the rest connect to the transmission motor, maybe except one. Some of the colors (white, gray, tan, brown) are hard to tell apart even when clean. The shift pattern would have been NDSLR as far as I know, so it would make sense to have one less wire. I think someone fairly knowledgeable about these things (a Hydramatic and wherever this Auto-Lite unit came from) who watches the footage will be able to deduce what must be going on. Maybe it actually is the Packard unit, or at least is the same design, though the contact wires are all this black cloth instead of being color coded as indicated on both the Packard service manual and the Auto-Lite manual.

Mechanically there is a simple bracket connected to a couple bell housing bolts to hold the actuator in place. There is an arm coming off the actuator which connects to a simple threaded rod linkage to move the arm on the transmission. It's a decently tight fit but I don't believe any significant modifications had to be made to that area to fit it in.

Posted on: 12/13 20:42
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I would like to see the video if you would PM the link.

Autolite also built the Edsel Teletouch system and that could be the actuator that you saw. It looks similar but has a stronger motor and more robust electrical control and position locating or "fingers" circuit. It still electrically works a lot like the Packard unit. Scuttlebutt has it that after building Packards first generation system and seeing the inadequacies of the unit Autolite engineering greatly improved things and implemented much needed changes in the Edsel system. Unfortunately the Edsel actuator is probably harder to find than the RR unit and just as expensive.

Here is an uncredited photo I found on the web showing what the Edsel actuator looks like. So far have not found any photos showing how it mechanically hooks up to the transmission and gear selector.

Attach file:

jpg  Teletouch.jpg (156.29 KB)
209_657a6877df9c9.jpg 1014X724 px

Posted on: 12/13 21:27
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Interesting, Howard, but I don't think that is the same one. We'll have to check the video.

Carl, as a side note I realized when I got home that your car is almost completely optioned out. No idea if it has the twin traction diff, but other than that it's only "missing" the dual rear antennas (a pretty rare option except on the convertible, and the second one is only aesthetic) and the wire wheels.

The MSRP would have been around $6,200 for this car, nearly $70,000 today. Pretty expensive when you consider that, with 68k miles on the clock, it basically cost a dollar per mile amortized and adjusted. In some ways, it's like buying a $200,000 car today, nearly the price of something like a Bentley Flying Spur.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 12/13 21:56
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Carl Jr
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Glass jar assys are Trico windshield washers and other brand cars also used them. In the Packard version, if it has only two hose connections - vacuum inlet and water outlet - on the lid it is for 51 to late 53 and maybe low end 54 models. If it has 2 wires and two plastic assys on the lid connected together with a short hose it is 54-56. If electric wire version, a black cap where the wires go is 6v and a red cap is 12v.

Second photo is an oil filter for most 46 to 54 engines.

The radio knob styling looks to be 51 - 52 and some 53 Clippers so that is probably the years. Can't see much of the pushbutton and dial area but think it is the standard push button version.

Cool Thanks - Good to know.

Unless somebody shouts out with a specific interest - I'm tempted to let these with the car as a lot. Please speak up if interested and we'll consider splitting them out.

Posted on: 12/14 14:53
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Carl Jr
See User information
Quote:

humanpotatohybrid wrote:
Interesting, Howard, but I don't think that is the same one. We'll have to check the video.

Carl, as a side note I realized when I got home that your car is almost completely optioned out. No idea if it has the twin traction diff, but other than that it's only "missing" the dual rear antennas (a pretty rare option except on the convertible, and the second one is only aesthetic) and the wire wheels.

The MSRP would have been around $6,200 for this car, nearly $70,000 today. Pretty expensive when you consider that, with 68k miles on the clock, it basically cost a dollar per mile amortized and adjusted. In some ways, it's like buying a $200,000 car today, nearly the price of something like a Bentley Flying Spur.

Click to see original Image in a new window

William - Thanks again for all your feedback. I greatly appreciate your 1st hand assessment and feedback.

Wow - placing a Packard Patrician in that light... Except for the fancy options, I never would have seen my Dad as owning a car like that. He usually talked about the used Mercedes 300 SL Gullwing that he decided not to buy circa 1961 because he didn't want to maintain it's mechanical fuel injection. Dumb factoid - it seems that while digging out from WWII, Mercedes outfitted the 300SL with a Messerschmidt fuel injector. Seems like very different times from today...

Posted on: 12/14 15:02
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Carl Jr
See User information
Quote:

Leeedy wrote:
Quote:

Carl Jr wrote:

Hello...

The glass jars in the metal bracket holders are merely reservoirs for windshield washer fluid.

On a 1956 Patrician they would have been located in the engine compartment either on:
• Right-hand fender splash well for cars equipped with factory air and/or pushbutton transmission

• Left-hand fender splash well if not equipped with either pushbutton transmission or factory air conditioning.

Thanks Leedy -
As you suggested - we found a windshield fluid jar installed on the Right-hand fender splash.

Posted on: 12/14 15:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
HPH, thanks very much for all your effort to get a decent look at the actuator. It is not easy seeing and working on the stock Packard unit and access looks to be even worse in that conversion.

The Packard unit was used and a mount for the actuator assy was fabricated so it could bolt on the side of the GM transmission. It flashes by quickly but a quick shot of the actuator with connecting linkage starts at about 6 minutes into the second video. You made the comment in the video something to the effect you thought in the Packard the unit was directly connected to the shift control and you are correct. It slips over and is entirely supported by the shaft with a little strap brace to keep it from rotating due to torque. On this transmission, in addition to the mount an additional fabrication was another lever for the actuator end which was connected via an adjustable rod with clevis ends to the GM trans shift lever. This is very much the way RR chose to do it. Not quite sure how lever was mounted in the actuator but the sector gear is fairly sturdy so maybe only by welding on a shaft and using the stock setscrew to the sector gear on the one end. Cannot say for sure but does not look like there is any support for the other side in the fabricated mount.

I know next to nothing about GM trans of that era to know what gear positions are available but in order for the Packard unit to work the GM trans, either the GM trans has the same shift position spacing or else a new finger block was made to fit the GM trans. If the spacing is the same but gear order is different then using the stock finger setup the wires between buttons and the fingers could have been changed to make that work. Either way, it is a very interesting and looks to be well made conversion. My hat is off to the person that did it.

With Bendtsen's comment that a method so the electric shift can still be used with their modern GM trans conversions, am almost wondering if they could have worked out the geometry to do the same thing.

Attach file:

jpg  lever1.jpg (184.05 KB)
209_657e2223c7313.jpg 1338X1878 px

jpg  lever2.jpg (222.47 KB)
209_657e223b883b4.jpg 1306X1832 px

jpg  lever3.jpg (191.85 KB)
209_657e224c4f7bf.jpg 1244X1800 px

Posted on: 12/16 17:18
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved