Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
227 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 226

Packardbarry, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Water distribution Tube - 1948 - 356
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

48customfastback
See User information
Question:
Will the Water Distribution Tube just slide straight out the front? Mine looks to be brass. My car runs perfect and at temperature... BUT recently when I removed the head and drained coolant... I saw different colors of coolant in different areas which tells me I have a circulation problem.

UPDATE:
Thank you for the comments.
I may leave well enough alone at this point. I replaced the Head and while doing so... noticed the differential coolant colors. I got a lot of crud out of the water jackets and hoes. I have cleaned and vacuumed out areas prior to installing new head. I will clean radiator and will install a re-built water pump. I am preparing for a Florida Club Event in late January. I expect to, in the next couple/ few years to freshen up the entire car. At that time, I expect to rebuild the engine. I have been collecting NOS Engine parts for about 30 years so I may have 1/3 of what I may need. LOL. At this point, for fear of damaging the WDT, I may leave well enough alone. I will flush the remaining system. I have heard many have had good luck with Thermocore...which I may try.
I also will install a GANO Filter as I try to get rid of more crud as I get the car back on the road. Thanks!

Posted on: 12/17 0:38
 Top  Print   

Re: Water distribution Tube - 1948 - 356
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
It pulls out the front once the water pump and radiator have been removed. The service manual shows a tool being used but probably a steel coat hanger or other stiff wire with a small tight hook bent at. The end will suffice.

Posted on: 12/17 3:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
Agreed, I removed mine just like that, bent a coat hanger wire in an 'L' to fit into the hole drilled in the top of the front area of the tube, chucked it in a slide hammer and it slid right out. Mine had sat for 60 years with an empty water jacket having had the frost plugs knocked out and was still shiny brass with the usual mouse house inside. Well made part and cleaned up great.
Bob J.

Attach file:

jpg  water distribution tube-in place.JPG (215.94 KB)
225215_657f005206377.jpg 870X541 px

Posted on: 12/17 9:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Keep your fingers crossed it pulls out smoothly and be thankful you have a brass tube and it is still in decent condition to pull out. Those who happen to have a car where the original brass tube was replaced with one of the sheetmetal aftermarket or replacement tubes that were apparently around during or shortly after the war will have some fun. The steel tubes are often found to be very rusted and if there is enough remaining in any condition to come out will probably come out in small pieces.

Posted on: 12/17 10:22
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
I was not aware, good point.
I guess they call it progress, but it has gone on too long!!
Bob J.

Posted on: 12/17 14:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I think as you planned, flushing it more thoroughly, drain well, and new coolant it should be OK til you get it rebuilt. I got all kinds of crud out of the '49 and it ran just fine(cool) when I had it running.
When there's dissimilar metals in a system they are subject to more corrosion. Brass is more "noble" so lasts better in aqueous systems. Cast is better than mild sheet steel.
A periodic extra dose of coolant inhibitor is usually called for with mixed systems but Prestone claims/warrants it's not necessary with their silicate based inhibitors...
Frequent flushing and changing is the best maintenance protocol, usually every ~4 years or so, about 50K miles.
These old systems have more lead based solder in them and heavier gauge brass. The solder is the weak link usually, tends to pinhole/ pitting corrosion.

Posted on: 12/19 13:14
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved