Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
212 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 212

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 29 »

Re: Carl's 1952 Packard 300
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I will be joining you on the 30th of this month Carl, you are not alone! I figure it will be good Packard bonding time, and some time to get some things done that I've been wanting to for a long time.

Posted on: 2009/4/19 20:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
Sorry to hear about your pending layoff, Eric. You hitting unemployment or finding other sources of income?

Posted on: 2009/4/19 20:51
-Carl | [url=https://packardinfo.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Actually, both.

Posted on: 2009/4/19 23:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
carlmadsen wrote: Laid off today from the power plant. Now I have ALOT of times on my hands.

Sorry to hear that Carl, hope something comes up quick for you. In the meantime, as Eric said, good Packard catch up time.

Posted on: 2009/4/20 2:26
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
exactly. more time with the packard = a good thing

Posted on: 2009/4/20 16:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
So, I removed the front left brake shoes and cleaned them to reveal any part numbers; only "PATENTED BENDIX MADE IN USA".

Of course I can buy them on ebay for 78/axle, so I may just do that. I would rather buy them at NAPA if I knew the cross reference number.

I also researched the weep hole under the bearings and cleared it out but couldn't see daylight, so I have to keep cleaning to make sure it is clear. ALOT of dirt/mud/grease packed behind the backing plate.

Here's a copy from BigKev's post of what the weep hole should look like:

Attach file:

jpg  (25.00 KB)
471_49ed270c2cfc1.jpg 500X375 px

Posted on: 2009/4/20 20:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As I recall, it's about the same size as bolt holes. Has your car had undercoating that might have been applied a bit too generously or maybe just 50 years of road mud and caked grease. Guess it's also possible the gasket or a part might have been installed incorrectly in the past--although with the shape would doubt it.

Posted on: 2009/4/20 20:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
I'll keep cleaning, it's got to be there...

Posted on: 2009/4/20 21:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
Any advice out there as I begin to take off my grill and fenders for the first time? I've never done this before, and my car has never had it done to it in 57 years. I would appreciate some words of wisdom so we both make it through this invasive surgery without complications.

Posted on: 2009/4/21 7:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
An extra set of hands is a a help. Of course the bumper and splash panels first. Some of the bolts will be rusted so be prepared for broken and use some good penetrating oil--particularly the ones at the bottom of fender under door jamb. Remove the kickpanels and look carefully for a bolt going from inside the car in the middle of the fender next to door jamb. Some have, some apparently didn't so check. Don't recall anything too complicated on yours that's as bad as other years but look carefully at the chrome pieces where they come together around corners and over sheetmetal. Make sure any that overlap are removed first. Look carefully for screws to grill that may be hidden under the fenders covered with mud or undercoat or somesuch. One screw holding things up & potmetal may crack if angled.

Some have found it useful to drill a small 1/8 hole discreetly at a couple of the fender mounting bolt locations. A suggestion is at the top corner near hood hinge at the fender to firewall bolt and another at the front corner at frame to fender location. When reassembling, a piece of rod through the holes allow alignment to go back much easier. If you'd rather not drill, then remove a bolt and make some kind of good alignment marks inside the slotted openings that will be covered by the washer. Do that at 2-3 locations before completely loosening.

Posted on: 2009/4/21 9:33
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 29 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved