Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
201 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 200

moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 10 »

Re: Upholstery Refresh
Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

kevinpackard wrote:
Looks great! It'll be a race to see who gets their material from SMS first. I ordered mine Dec 11th and supposedly it was in stock. We'll see.

I'm also curious about your sewing machine. I would love to try some upholstery but I'm pretty sure my little home machine isn't going to cut it.

Kevin, check out my reply to Ross. I would NOT try with a home sewing machine, I think you would end up disappointed, and frustrated.

If you do tackle your upholstery take LOTS of pictures as you take your seats apart and even make yourself little videos. There is a lot going on, and no diagrams to help put it back together like there are for our engines.

I'm sure you'll get your material first, mine wasn't in stock.

Posted on: 1/7 10:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Quote:

53 Cavalier wrote:

If you do tackle your upholstery take LOTS of pictures as you take your seats apart and even make yourself little videos.

It would be nice if you could, say, make a YouTube video of a slideshow to show others the process a bit.

Posted on: 1/7 11:46
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

humanpotatohybrid wrote:
Quote:

53 Cavalier wrote:

If you do tackle your upholstery take LOTS of pictures as you take your seats apart and even make yourself little videos.

It would be nice if you could, say, make a YouTube video of a slideshow to show others the process a bit.

Unfortunately I barely have time to work on my car, let alone make presentations. These posts are about as good as it gets right now. But I do have a bazillion pictures on my phone! LOL

Posted on: 1/7 13:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Quote:

53 Cavalier wrote:
Quote:

humanpotatohybrid wrote:
Quote:

53 Cavalier wrote:

Unfortunately I barely have time to work on my car, let alone make presentations. These posts are about as good as it gets right now. But I do have a bazillion pictures on my phone! LOL

Totally understand. Putting together videos is very time consuming. I've gotten a little quicker at it, but it's still a big process. Not my favorite thing to do.

Posted on: 1/7 15:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Yes, YouTube can be fairly time consuming. Even for my pretty basic videos, usually I will record the second attempt, then the editing ratio is usually around 3:1 (i.e. a video that is 10 min finished takes 30 mins to edit and check). If I need to add parenthetical explanations or text (like my headlight switch video) it can grow to 5:1 easily. For highly edited videos, like YouTube Shorts, the ratio is probably more like 20:1 but keep in mind such a video is under a minute in length.

Posted on: 1/7 15:39
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Working on my front seat "frame". Couple of little repairs, cleaning & dying. Not sure if I'm done yet or not, but pretty happy so far.

The ashtray is off because I'm going to refurbish it. Not that anyone is going to be smoking in the car, but you know that anyone sitting in the back is going to have to play with that little roll top cover! LOL

Attach file:

jpg  20240112_170151_resized.jpg (326.78 KB)
226104_65a1f0cf3d7d5.jpg 1008X756 px

jpg  20240112_183327_resized.jpg (250.55 KB)
226104_65a1f0e04dde7.jpg 1008X756 px

jpg  20240106_224654_resized_1.jpg (291.60 KB)
226104_65a1f0fd811f0.jpg 756X1008 px

jpg  20240112_183023_resized.jpg (327.40 KB)
226104_65a1f10d4d237.jpg 756X1008 px

Posted on: 1/12 21:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
That's a big improvement with the dye. What did you use?

Posted on: 1/12 21:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

kevinpackard wrote:
That's a big improvement with the dye. What did you use?

I'm pretty happy with the results, it actually looks better than it does in the pictures.

I used Rit All Purpose Dye and I believe this material is wool, so used those instructions for mixing. For my car I'm using Pearl Gray, I experimented with a bottle of Charcoal Gray and not the right colour at all.

After gently cleaning the fabric I used a continues mist spray bottle I pick up at a salon supply store. My barber uses one, and I thought that's just what I need for my upholstery project!

After applying the dye I went over everything with my heat gun thinking that may help set the dye. I'm not sure how well it would stand up to an upholstery cleaning machine, but it doesn't matter as that won't be happening!

I'll be working on my door panels, which are also in amazing condition, over the winter as well. If everything goes well I may try to add a bit of grey to my head liner in the spring. Still haven't convinced myself of that one yet. I'm always scared $***less of wrecking something!

Posted on: 1/13 0:04
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Working on the rear seat of my 53 Cavalier and have a question.

The welting in the below picture, where I have the blue arrows, has a wire core rather than plastic like everywhere else. It has about an extra 6" on each end and was hog ringed back to a seat spring. (The front seat, which has the same pattern but no armrest, had a plastic cord below the pleats.) I suspect using the wire has something to do with the back seat being 3 pieces and the armrest, but not sure why.

When I make a new cover I think it's best to copy what Packard did, but does anyone know they reason they used wire instead of the plastic in only these two places?

Attach file:

jpg  welt 1.jpg (86.55 KB)
226104_65c14eee0a264.jpg 921X395 px

jpg  welt 2.jpg (139.24 KB)
226104_65c14ef917060.jpg 720X960 px

jpg  welt 3.jpg (160.54 KB)
226104_65c14f06d5975.jpg 720X960 px

Posted on: 2/5 16:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Wire versus plastic - availability and what was generally used is probably the answer. On the home sewing machine - I used my mother's machine on my first car. The material was naugahyde and I did not have piping. The machine did just fine. The down side was with the operator being a teenage male with no sewing experience. But it was a "First Car" a '49 Chevy that cost $89 in 1961.

Posted on: 2/6 17:33
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 10 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved