Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
233 user(s) are online (156 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 230

didatelogg, Don B, tsherry, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Final gear ratios for 5th, 6th, and 7th series Packards.
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

pmhowe
See User information
The late 1920s cars underwent tremendous developmental changes. For Packards, I'm guessing gear ratios were in the 4.5 to 5.0 range, giving them rather modest cursing speeds. I haven't been able to find the actual ratios and how they changed over those three series. Also, what were the engine compression ratios?

Thanks for the help.

Phil

Posted on: 3/20 21:23
Phil
 Top  Print   

Re: Final gear ratios for 5th, 6th, and 7th series Packards.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Standard ratio is 4.69 to 1. Sports models were 4.38 to 1. In either case 50 mph is fine, 55 mph is pushing it and 60 mph sustained should be done only on the way to the engine rebuilders for new poured big ends. Compression ratio was 4.8 to 1 and quite high for the day. Peter T

Posted on: 3/21 0:57
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
Most shop manuals for cars year have the ratios listed usually several ratios depending on model or body styles.Possible to learn a lot by reading manual all you need is to remember what you have seen I retain less the older I get.

Posted on: 3/21 10:05
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
As you consider the effect of the rear axle ratio on rpm and road speed, don't forget to take into account the effective tire diameter.

Here's some PMCC data related to 19" tires driven thru the 4.38 and 4.69 ratio rear axles.

Attach file:

jpg  rpm vs mph.jpg (112.05 KB)
177_65fc76a50fcb4.jpg 516X609 px

Posted on: 3/21 13:05
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

pmhowe
See User information
Thanks to each of you for your responses. My car is a 5th Series coupe. I think it is quite sporty but I will guess that it has the 4.69 gear ratio. The “sport” designation was probably reserved for the roadsters and speedsters. Anyway, I think top road speed will be influenced more by ride and braking characteristics than engine rpm limitations.

My car has Stabilators rather than more modern hydraulic shocks. The stabilators provide a slightly springier feel to the ride than what I am used to. To my surprise, the combination of leaf springs and Stabilators makes the car handle speed bumps and potholes very well - better than a lot of modern cars. However, at speed, I am reminded that this is indeed an old car.

I have inspected the brakes and adjusted them to correct for a tendency to pull to the left. The linings show very little wear. The linings are of a woven design (see picture) which might be period-authentic, but which provides a very spongy brake pedal. I suspect using modern design brake lining material would greatly improve braking behavior.

Anyway, thanks again for the responses.

Phil

Attach file:

jpg  lf brake.jpg (727.47 KB)
225887_65fde84dd259c.jpg 1484X1520 px

Posted on: 3/22 15:21
Phil
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Modern brake linings will NOT improve your braking feel and will decrease your brake effectiveness. The cable and rod brakes on pre hydraulic systems always have a take-up play which is less noticeable with the early Thirties Vacuum boosted mechanical braking systems. Your woven linings are the best but are now totally illegal in Australia. Importing a vehicle with OEM asbestos parts is a nightmare and costs around 10k to 15k to get around. Your rear axle ratio can be checked by jacking one rear wheel up and rotating the wheel two revolutions whilst counting the tailshaft revolutions. If the tailshaft revs are over 4.5 then you have as 4.69 diff ratio. Peter T

Posted on: 3/23 1:51
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Asbestos anything is about to formally go bye-bye in the US shortly as well.

Posted on: 3/23 7:44
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I have always been of the idea that going to a higher gear ratio (lower numerically) in a pre-war vintage car would be to slow the engine speed for a more comfortable drive and less wear and tear on the engine. I know in later model cars some change to a "high speed" ratio for higher speeds, but pre-war vintage Packards were not made for this use.

Posted on: 3/24 12:51
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
IMHO fitting a higher diff ratio is a bit of a trade off in an older car as you do not generally have the horsepower to drive a higher ratio particularly in hilly country. The 5th Series Six has approx 85 hp gross which is probably 45 at the wheels. I have fitted a 4.38 ratio to my 7 pass 304 bodied 533 and with a trailer of old bikes attached it will sit on 50 mph comfortably and takes most hills in top gear. It would probably not pull with a 4.1 ratio. Peter Toet

Attach file:

jpg  1927 Packard & Trailer - Copy.JPG (81.90 KB)
154_66009ed818e26.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 3/24 16:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Good point, Peter. The engine will not develop enough power if the gear ratio is too high. This would necessitate shifting gears more often.

Posted on: 3/25 14:14
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved