Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
81 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 80

TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Factory Service Index
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
In addition to the following:

Service Letters (SL)
Service Counselors (SC)
Service Techincal Bulletins (STB)
Studebaker Service Bulletings (SSB)
General Letters (GL)

The Techincal Letters (TL) have now been added to the master Factory Service Index.

I find these contain more information on a variety of topics than actually made it into the Service Letters.

This is especially helpful for folks with earlier cars, 1st—9th series, as the Technical Letters we currently have are mostly focused on those years.

The Factory Service Index makes it faster to find what you are looking for, as opposed to drilling through all the above documents to find something that may apply to your car and issue. Which may be many years in the future from the model year of your car.

We still have the Trade Letters to add and a few other offshoots as well. Since we are missing a few issues of the above different types of letters/bulletins, we will fill in the information for them as those pieces get donated to the Literature Archive here on the website.

Thanks!

Posted on: 5/8 10:42
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   
LikeLove (2)

Re: Factory Service Index
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Trade Letters added to Factory Service Index

Skimming through these, and the other Letters, as I am checking them for relevant content, I do find it interesting in the 1st through about the 11th or 12th series that they made retrofit parts to update prior models with changes in later models. Not just things like mechanicals (engine parts, shocks, brakes, etc), but actual body styling.

Here is one example I thought was interesting:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/TL/T-2545.pdf

It talks about the optional equipment needed to mimic the appearance of a 9th Series V Radiator/Grille on an 8th Series.

There are also several other instances like this. I wonder how many folks had these factory-approved alterations and fast-forward to the future and are perplexed why their car has different equipment on it than expected. They probably figured that was done by an owner way later in a car's life or/and have been told it was incorrect when it was a "factory" approved change.

This could be the meat of a great article for the Commorant or something.

Posted on: 5/9 9:49
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe this was touched upon in one of the books where the author mentioned Packard making improvements and running changes throughout a series production and in many instances would offer the upgrades to previous owners of that series or even older series when possible or feasible.

This was initially done to counter other mfgs who typically sold a brand new looking car every year which instantly made the previous model obsolete. Packard owners noticed this too but tended to be long standing more conservative customers not necessarily wanting the latest and greatest flash. By doing the upgrade program many still got the current improvements for a minimal cost. This way they did not feel or see their cars immediately losing value and would realize that buying a Packard did not mean early obsolescence..

When the junior cars came along this retrofit program was not as prevalent although Packard did do something similar by making some accessories available for older models. To some extent the programs to retrofit the R11 ODs and the new 52 Easamatic into the 51 models was the same thing. OD was initially promoted as a reliability and Easamatic a safety issue but they were still a throwback to that make it look less obsolete era..

Posted on: 5/9 10:23
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Very interesting Kev and Howard. Hope this isn't too far off topic but do you know what the "BRH:HN" means in the lower corner of the second page? I know that was a "thing" back in the day but don't know what it's called.

Also I noticed often the "BRH" part would be the person's initials who signed the letter, but it's not the case here.

Posted on: 5/9 11:40
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I wonder if it has to do with the telegram codes that Packard used for factory communication. There are a couple letters explaining the various telegram codes.

Posted on: 5/9 11:57
-BigKev

Top  Print   
Like (1)

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Parts and Accessory Bulletins added to the Factory Service Index

Also added missing Parts and Accessory Bulletins:

47P-15 - SURPLUS HYDRAULIC FLUID
47P-17 - ASH RECEIVER FOR CLUB SEDANS

Posted on: 5/9 15:17
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Also:

46P-40 AUTOMATIC WINDSHIELD WASHER
49P-35 BACKUP LIGHT EQUIPMENT FOR 23RD SERIES ULTRAMATIC CARS
50P-44 ROTARY ANTENNA - 22ND AND 23RD SERIES CARS

Posted on: 5/9 15:45
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Now we know why those rotary antennas are so hard to find. They were back then also, as Packard lost it's supplier.

Posted on: 5/9 16:26
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

moodydavid16
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
Now we know why those rotary antennas are so hard to find. They were back then also, as Packard lost it's supplier.

This is unfortunate to learn as my car has this, however it is broken and not something I had looked into yet.

Posted on: 5/9 21:12
If you want something done right; you have to do it yourself

1948 Super Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Kevin

Don't know where other post is.

But the scanning came out really well.

Better than the book

Posted on: 5/10 0:45
Riki
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved