Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 »

Re: 12 voly conversion lessons learned
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Quote:
will be converted to 84 volts---and----

ahead of the game for at least the next 50 years or so!

Not sure about that. Seem to recall reading the hybrids are running in the neighborhood of 400v to their motors (hence the big orange caution wrapping around the cables). Probably the Volt and Tesla are too. Only a matter of time before the regular electrics in those cars bump way up. 110 or 220v radios and lights anyone?

220v? I can't WAIT until i have a mig welder i can run off of a cigarette lighter outlet!

In reference to the above, yes, i was looking for a 6v alternator that looked like a generator. On this car, i do want it to look and seem original, just less troublesome on daily driving, such as the dim lights etc. Probably going to try LED bulbs in the rear and check to make sure previous owner doesn't have 12V bulbs up front.

Posted on: 2009/4/30 11:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
Seem to recall reading the hybrids are running in the neighborhood of 400v to their motors (hence the big orange caution wrapping around the cables).

The Ford Escape Hybrid uses a 600V battery, and when the dealership I used to work at started getting them in there was some special equipment from Ford that they had to buy to service them. The best one was a 6' piece of PVC pipe, used to "remove a technician who forgot to unplug the battery"! I nearly fell on the floor laughing about that one! It seems that SOMEONE had already been electrocuted by the battery, and a non-conducting instrument was used to get them off the car. This is no joke, which makes the Ford supplied piece of PVC pipe even more funny!

Posted on: 2009/4/30 12:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Quote:

Turbopackman wrote:
Quote:
Seem to recall reading the hybrids are running in the neighborhood of 400v to their motors (hence the big orange caution wrapping around the cables).

The Ford Escape Hybrid uses a 600V battery, and when the dealership I used to work at started getting them in there was some special equipment from Ford that they had to buy to service them. The best one was a 6' piece of PVC pipe, used to "remove a technician who forgot to unplug the battery"! I nearly fell on the floor laughing about that one! It seems that SOMEONE had already been electrocuted by the battery, and a non-conducting instrument was used to get them off the car. This is no joke, which makes the Ford supplied piece of PVC pipe even more funny!

I bet if you looked up that part number at the dealership, it'd be a $50 ford specialty tool :)

Posted on: 2009/5/1 10:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
it'd be a $50 ford specialty tool :

Probably right, but at least it's not medical.

Posted on: 2009/5/1 10:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
If MediCare approved it would be $500 and 4our feet shorter and maybe even chrome plated in China-rica. I can't belive the prices and poor quality level of that junk that medicare approves.

Posted on: 2009/5/1 12:48
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Very true. And someone else shares a dim view of govt acquisitions because there's this. The whole article about a govt contract for a hand held device is here:http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/20991/

Attach file:

jpg  (7.44 KB)
209_49fb38155d1bb.jpg 451X62 px

Posted on: 2009/5/1 12:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Just got home from the swap meet, found a guy selling 6 volt positive or negative ground alternators your choice, the alternator doesn't do both) for $70, and $20 for the wide belt pulley. I thought it was a fine price and picked one up. Now i don't have to switch to negative ground and buy a different pertronix unit for under the cap. (The solid state units need to be hooked up correctly and have different part numbers for positive or negative ground)

Posted on: 2009/5/2 18:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
Mike-

Can you post pictures of your new 6v alternator? Same 3 leads (ground, F, A)?

Posted on: 2009/5/2 20:29
-Carl | [url=https://packardinfo.
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Most of the 6v Alternators I have seen are of the "one-wire" style, or are the GM three wire (10si) style. Either way they usually have internal regulators.

The three wire style ones allow you to hook up the GEN dash light so it's operational.

Posted on: 2009/5/2 20:35
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Quote:

carlmadsen wrote:
Mike-

Can you post pictures of your new 6v alternator? Same 3 leads (ground, F, A)?

It's out in the truck right now, headed back to the swap meet tomorrow. I'll put up pics probably Sunday night after we get back and everything put away. Or maybe Monday morning. I don't know what was changed technically to make it positive ground, but he checked 15 times to make sure i wanted positive ground, and said the apocalypse would occur if i hooked it up negative ground.

What will my amp meter read with an alternator hooked up? I'll have to research this some more before i do it, i think i have to bypass an external regulator.

Anyone try LED tail light replacement bulbs? I think that'd be a safe change to keep us all from being rear ended, 12v or 6v.

Posted on: 2009/5/2 23:16
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved