Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
206 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 204

DavidM, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Anyone ever rebuild a water pump?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

ecvpaul
See User information
The water pump on my 288 is growling. Both Kanter and Max Merritt sell a rebuild kit. Has anyone on this forum ever rebuilt their pump?
Thanks!
Paul

Posted on: 2009/6/8 22:23
1947 Clipper Deluxe (parts), 1947 Super Clipper Eight Touring Sedan. ECV, XPBC, XNGH, XCP, HA #VII
 Top  Print   

Re: Anyone ever rebuild a water pump?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I send mine to Gould(sp?) in Ft Salonga, New York. He has retired but the business is still there and does a good job with fuel and water pumps..

Posted on: 2009/6/8 22:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
Paul-

What did you end up doing for your water pump? I have the same situation. Getting ready to spend $110 for a rebuilt one.

-Carl

Posted on: 2009/6/22 20:29
-Carl | [url=https://packardinfo.
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Just pay someone to do it for you. Unless you have done them before and have the proper tool to press on an off the parts, then it's just not worth it. If you buy the rebuild kit and mess up your screwed. If they send you a bad pump, it's there fault.

Just my .02

Posted on: 2009/6/22 20:35
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Paul

I bought my current Packard in 1997, with plans to take it to the Centennial. In 1998, the water pump failed. Considerable effort and time was expended in getting it off. The engine mounts had softened and the engine had settled.

The previous owner had novel ideas about auto repair. The water pump rattled and we took it apart. The impeller vanes were brazed together....

Regards

John Harley

Posted on: 2009/6/22 21:08
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The water pump is one of the parts that you really don't want to fail while on the road as they can be the biggest pain in the butt to change, and your local parts store isn't going to have one laying around. Pay the money and have it professionally rebuilt. Thats a small price to pay for peace of mind. I bought a rebuilt unit from Kanters. But by the time I paid the shipping for the actual pump from Kanters, and the shipping of the core back to them it was close to $200. Find a place (like Gould) where you can just ship yours to them and have it sent back rebuilt for a flat rate.

Posted on: 2009/6/22 21:16
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

ecvpaul
See User information
I ordered a rebuilt water pump from Max Merritt. $110.00 plus shipping (and a $100 core charge).
Paul

Posted on: 2009/6/23 10:23
1947 Clipper Deluxe (parts), 1947 Super Clipper Eight Touring Sedan. ECV, XPBC, XNGH, XCP, HA #VII
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
just called Arthur goulds, 90 bucks to rebuild my water pump

Technical support is offered Monday - Friday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. (CST).

Shipping Address: 5R Main Street???????????? Kings Park N.Y. 11754
Phone : (631) 269-0093
http://www.arthurgouldrebuilders.com/index.htm

Posted on: 2009/6/23 10:35
-Carl | [url=https://packardinfo.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Based on my own experience which is long-standing, you'll not be disappointed with Gould's service on water pumps. I've had similar fine experience with fuel pumps with him, though I tend to do them myself unless I have problems with castings, arms and the like. For example, the Twelve arms often need straightening and reinforcement at the bend and he has the proper jig for this job.

Posted on: 2009/6/23 10:47
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

39Pickle
See User information
Art Gould rebuilt mine earlier this year and did a first class job. Being where I am, the turn around on the whole thing was less than a week too. You can buy repro from Kanter with no core exchange/charge. If you buy from Max Merrit you will get a repro, and have to send them your real one. I do not recommend these repro pumps, they get noisy after about 100 miles and are a pain to have them not leak. Kind of makes me wonder what these guys are doing with the original cores they get in.

Posted on: 2009/6/23 11:14
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved