Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
209 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 208

Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: Since Packard had a V-12 in the 30's....
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Owen: I can't answer your question right now. I will try and do some research over the next couple of days. Right now my main interest lays in Hudson as I am reading the history of that company at the moment.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2009/7/30 20:18
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Well, here's what I found on the aluminum vs cast iron history:

""Pistons [on the '23 model] were slotted aluminum alloy but reversion to cast iron (as in the Single Six) was made in December when aluminum was found to suffer from warpage, piston slap and wear."

Packard, A History of the Motor Car and the Company, Beverly Rae Kimes, ed., copyright 1978, Automobile Quarterly, Inc. p. 238.

I was kind of wondering about piston slap, with that 5" stroke and high piston travel speed and resulting heat, that maybe aluminum was a bit too touchy. To compensate for expansion, they would have had to undersize them a fraction, and startup may have been quite noisy, especially after some wear set in. Not in keeping with Packard standards!

Don't know when they resumed aluminum, or what changes allowed them to, but someone will be sure to get that, too.

Posted on: 2009/8/2 16:31
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
There was a episode of Modern Marvels recently on the subject of Aluminum and its uses. It was fascinating. Aluminum was considered precious in the 1800's and before due to how expensive it was to mine and process. Aluminum is not extracted in ore form like other metals, but from a special type of clay. Alcoa biggest production site is in Australia.

Aluminum was so previous it demanded prices higher that gold and platinum. It was said that Napoleon used an solid aluminum goblet to drink from, while his guests had to use lowly solid gold ones.

But the show did get into it's uses in automotive applications.

Posted on: 2009/8/2 17:31
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Don't know when they resumed aluminum, or what changes allowed them to,
Probably when someone figured out the autothermic piston or else casting & foundry techniques advanced to the point that the other metal could be reliably & cheaply incorporated.

Posted on: 2009/8/2 17:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
1932 Eight, Super Eight and Twelve pistons were aluminum, cam-ground and controlled expansion autothermic strut design and believe the use of these dates back at least to the 1st Series Eight in 1924, perhaps much earlier.

Posted on: 2009/8/2 18:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If they were autothermic back then and still suffered from warpage, piston slap and wear, then if not casting & foundry it would almost have to be a different design or better alloy.

Posted on: 2009/8/2 18:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Any references that they suffered from piston slip or warpage? I've heard plenty of original, unrebuilt Packard engines from the mid-20s that are silent, and I've seen original OEM pistons removed that looked good enough to use again, and can't recall ever reading about piston problems. There was a service letter about 1934 suggesting that the "T" slot could be installed either way, though earlier recommendation was that it face the camshaft side of the engine.

EDIT - assuming the cite in the Kimes book about reverting to cast iron is in fact correct, I'd guess it was a very temporary measure. Packard's aluminum pistons were of a very sophisticated design, not much different than those used in all the L-8s right thru 1954.

EDIT - the pictures in the 7th series and up service letters show the aluminum 4-ring piston of the controlled expansion autothermic strut design, and states they were used from (at least) the 6th series. Perhaps Packard tried a cast or forged slug design aluminum piston, got poor results, and changed to cast iron while they quickly sourced an improved design?

Posted on: 2009/8/2 18:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The only reference I was going by was posted above and speculating as to the reasons.
Quote:
Well, here's what I found on the aluminum vs cast iron history: ""Pistons [on the '23 model] were slotted aluminum alloy but reversion to cast iron (as in the Single Six) was made in December when aluminum was found to suffer from warpage, piston slap and wear." Packard, A History of the Motor Car and the Company, Beverly Rae Kimes, ed., copyright 1978, Automobile Quarterly, Inc. p. 238.

Posted on: 2009/8/2 18:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Perhaps Packard tried a cast or forged slug design aluminum piston, good poor results, and changed to cast iron while they quickly sourced an improved design?
That would make sense. I imagine aluminum metallurgy was still considered in it's infancy then and maybe an early version of all aluminum pistons (which still have issues for some today despite all the advances) would have had much bigger issues then.

Posted on: 2009/8/2 19:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
(which still have issues for some today

Oh yes, the fabled Chevy piston slap on startup. Almost standard equipment.

Posted on: 2009/8/2 22:51
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved