Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
109 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 108

Kiwi Lad, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Parts Suppliers to the Custom Body Builders
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

randy berger wrote:
JW, I am confused. Are you saying Packard celebrated their 40th anniversary in 1940? How did they then celebrate their 50th nine years later in 1949?

Randy - I was referring to a special Automotive News publication that celebrated Packard's 40th anniversary. It was distributed to dealers in February of 1940.

(o {} o)

Attach file:

jpg  (30.82 KB)
565_4b40d6c88cfd2.jpg 480X640 px

jpg  (38.94 KB)
565_4b40d7310b896.jpg 480X640 px

Posted on: 2010/1/3 12:43
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
There were two most popular types of shock absorbers used by Custome Body Builders were as follows.

Watson Stabilator Company of West End Avenue in New York City.

Houde Engineering Company of Buffalo, New York, which made Houdaille shock absorbers. The Houdaille distributor in New York City was C.I. Barrows located at 36 West 63rd Street.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2010/1/5 21:14
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
John, wouln't you think shock absorbers would be selected by the chassis builder rather than the body builder?

Posted on: 2010/1/5 21:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
John, wouln't you think shock absorbers would be selected by the chassis builder rather than the body builder?

That makes the most sense to me.

Posted on: 2010/1/5 21:53
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Perhaps they were selected by the Coach maker since the chassis maker may not have been aware of the finished vehicle weight. But thats just speculation on my part.

Posted on: 2010/1/5 22:44
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Owen: I think Big Kev answered your question.

The two main suppliers of glass for the coach builders was as follows.

Triplex Safety Glass Company of Hoboken New Jersey. In the mid 20's they brought the idea of none shatterable glass to this country from England. This shatter proof glass did not have wire running through it as some others did.

M. Rawle Company Inc. located at 210- 212 West 65th Street New York City. They offered both polished plate glass and indestructo none shatterable glass. The firm claimed their glass wouldn't yellow.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2010/1/6 21:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
TriPlex laminated glass technology (a sandwich of glass and butyrate) came from Pilkington. The Triplex name and xXx mark was used for a long time (1980's at least)in Britain. Pilkington now owns L-O-F (Libbey-Owens-Ford) glass and still produces auto glass.

Posted on: 2010/1/7 10:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
kazmer: Thanks for the information concerning Triplex glass.

Clocks and gauges for the custome coach builders were supplied by Elgin, Waltham, Smiths and Jaeger. Most of the clocks usually gave eight days of service before requiring a rewind.

The Jaeger Watch Company showroom in New York City was located at 36 West 47th Street. Jaeger also had offices located in London, Paris and Geneva.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2010/1/7 21:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
I found this watch on ebay. Apparently Waltham also made commemorative watches for Packard employees Packard Appreciation Watch but that might have already been known. I thought the watch was nice though.

Posted on: 2010/1/8 8:41
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
After a coachbuilt car was finished it was tested by the body maker. It was often necessary to adjust the rear springs and shock absorbers to the weight of the body in order to get the best ride.

I recall an interview with an old time body designer who recalled one particularly difficult job. They tried 4 different spring sets and 2 different brands of shocks but weren't satisfied. In the end they put on the best springs and both sets of shocks and sent the job out.

This was on a Lincoln. He also said Franklins had the smoothest ride and were easiest to deal with in regard to setting up the chassis.

Posted on: 2010/1/8 9:37
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved