Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
137 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 137

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: 1975
Home away from home
Home away from home

Pack120c
See User information
I was a junior in high school and just cut from the varsity football team. I eased the pain by chasing girls and looking for street rod projects (bought a 1940 Chevy with a buddy). Little did I know how much pain each of those would cost me.

My daily driver at the time was a 1968 Rambler American. Packards were still 3-4 years away but I was fascinated by old (1920's -40's) cars.

Posted on: 2010/1/11 11:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
I was eight years old then, and I remember that one of the things I was most grateful for was my Dad getting rid of the Corvair (don't remember what year it was)! I've heard people say that FORD stands for Fix Or Repair Daily. Well, I've never owned a Ford yet that had to be fixed or repaired on a more regular basis than that damn Corvair! I learned quite a bit at the elbow of my Pop working on that car. Seems the thing I learned most was the creative use of the English vernacular.... you know, scatalogical references, pain in various portions of the body, etc.

Posted on: 2010/1/11 11:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
I was still 1 year away from being born! I was a Bi-Centennial Baby.

Posted on: 2010/1/11 11:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

Turbopackman wrote:
On a cold day in Nov. 1975 yours truly was born. A single prototype, they broke the mold after me. (I know, you're all thinking 'probably a good thing", LOL!)

Happy Birthday, Eric.

(o {I} o)

Posted on: 2010/1/11 12:06
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
In 1975 I was 2 years old and the family was moving from Bentwaters, England to Edwards AFB in California for my father to finish out the remaining 2 years in the Airforce before retirement. They had the mid-60s Mercedes they were driving in England shipped to the U.S. I often remember my mother telling stories of the family having to wait in a dreadful motel in New Jersey for a week before the car showed up at the dock.

Posted on: 2010/1/11 12:43
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
My kids were 16, 15 and 14. I was working as a programmer for a railroad consortium and had purchased the 400 in 1972.

Posted on: 2010/1/11 14:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
I was still 1 year away from being born! I was a Bi-Centennial Baby.

I'm glad someone was younger than me! I was getting the feeling that almost everyone else on here had to to first base before I was born!

Thanks for the belated birthday wishes everyone, but I didn't mean this to go this far, I was just making a joke post in honor of our own Packard53.

Posted on: 2010/1/11 15:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Hmm, 1975.

A junior in HS, I had just gotten my driver's license and '75 Chevy Monza 2+2 V8 - bright red. I got into a lot of trouble with that car in the years that followed. Ultimately, I decided it was a keeper, but I had a nasty wreck with it in 1987 and never got around to completely fixing that.

You see, it wasn't even a year after I started driving that I rediscovered my dad's Exec, quietly rusting away in a field, and caught the bug. Though I had hoped to restore that car, it was too much for me (perhaps, anyone) at that time. Instead it lead me to a lot of legwork and - beginning in 1986 - a string of V8 Packards (plus one Cosworth Vega), and a plenty of related parts and literature, and - eventually - PackardInfo.

Posted on: 2010/1/11 18:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
...I didn't mean this to go this far, I was just making a joke post...

The joke may have bombed, but it sure generated a nice series of "Where Were You in 1975?" essays.

Posted on: 2010/1/11 18:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Yes it did Brian, and that makes it all worthwhile.

Posted on: 2010/1/11 21:32
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved