Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
242 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 241

moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Offenhauser Packard Trans Adapter
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
hammy56J wrote Quote:
I have installed an early '80s Granada (Ford)toploader 4 speed behind the Packard engine in my '56 Golden Hawk. It has 30 percent O/D in 4th gear. (snip)

That sounds like an excellent option for my Panther project since I already have the MT bell housing and flywheel. I was going to install a T-10, but the OD toploader sounds better. Thanks for the info.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/2/4 17:48
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ryan Messner
See User information
It was their only one but I found the adapter for $245, should be here next week. The guy said it was a Offy part but the one he is sending me was made by Hildebrandt.

There is no overdrive in the c4. But.....I have one in my 66 mustang they are easy to work on and cheep to build up. I was also going to look and see how the Ford AOD would bolt up to that flat-o-matic bell housing so I would gain the over drive.

I found the whole trans setup on craigslist. Trying to find out how I am going to get it home.

Attach file:

jpg  (104.68 KB)
998_4b6b6dc9d4993.jpg 1280X872 px

Posted on: 2010/2/4 20:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Impossible to know without having it next to a Packard V8 on the stand, but it appears the only part which bolts up is the Packard V8-to-early-Ford-adapter and the early-Ford-to-C4-adapter. The crankshaft adapter won't work. As mentioned above, if the crankshaft adapter is off, the starter won't mesh.

thnx, jack vines.

Posted on: 2010/2/4 22:51
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ryan Messner
See User information
Look what I got today. Same as the Offy part but made by Hildebrandt.

Attach file:

jpg  (63.40 KB)
998_4b71ff6179ae0.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (85.44 KB)
998_4b71ff7b266c2.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2010/2/9 19:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Congratulations on your recent acquisition. Keep us posted on your findings.

Posted on: 2010/2/9 22:18
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
JACK:

Might be nice as a wall decoration, but not to use. A strong Packard V8 will eat an early Ford transmission like popcorn. BTDTNA. The Borg-Warner T85 is three times as strong as the early Ford V8 transmission and has overdrive besides.

SERIOUSLY?? then i guess the early ford transmission in the Greendragon is JUNK? i would have thought that if that was the case she wouldn't move after 44 years of drag racing and dayly driving.

HUMMM she still shifts fine and has all forward gears
and reverse. seems to run down the road real nice too!

Posted on: 2010/3/10 23:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
SERIOUSLY?? then i guess the early ford transmission in the Greendragon is JUNK? i would have thought that if that was the case she wouldn't move after 44 years of drag racing and dayly driving.

As they say, "your results may vary." IIRC, that adapter is for the '32-48 top shifter 3-speed tranny, which no one would ever describe as being strong.

First, describe precisely which "early Ford transmission" you are using. The other day, I saw a '56 GH advertised with "an old Ford floor shift." It turned out to be the forty-seven-year-old Ford top-loader four-speed, the strongest and best four-speed ever built.

Second, if it is the '32-48 early Ford, build your "as-raced dual quad engine", put some cheater slicks on it, drop the clutch and power-shift it a few times and report back to us.

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2010/3/11 11:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Jack,

See Chad's '56 Clipper Super Panama Packard Owner's Registry entry which cites using a "47 ford school bus 4spd non syncronized" trans. No doubt a lot bigger and beefier than the 32-48 passenger car trans.

Posted on: 2010/3/11 14:40
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
GOOD CATCH MAL!! i bet you were talking passenger car trans, were you not Jack? i which case i believe you would be correct. the Pack v/8 would devistate one of those! Truck tranny... not so much!

Posted on: 2010/3/11 21:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
a "47 ford school bus 4spd non syncronized"
well that's an entirely different kettle of fish, init?

AFAIK, we were discussing an adapter plate which mates a '32-48 Ford-built passenger car 3-speed to the Packard V8.

How green dragon managed to take offense at our saying the Ford 3-speed is weak when he is apparently running a Borg-Warner T9 truck 4-speed is difficult to understand. BTW, the T9 was used in dozens of old trucks over a twenty-year span, including Ford, Dodge, IH and thousands of Studebakers. If I were choosing a transmission to put behind a Packard V8, the T9 wouldn't be on the list. That old rock crusher is the most difficult thing to shift I believe I ever drove. If green dragon has lived with it for forty-four years, he is a better man than I.

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2010/3/11 23:05
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved