Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
205 user(s) are online (149 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 203

Ozstatman, 39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: A strange Clipper
Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
I like bare bone cars too. This is my Panama. Radio, heater,power brakes and od..When I park it next to my Caribbean, more people seem to relate to the Clipper

Attach file:

jpg  (121.06 KB)
310_4bafe95793aae.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (121.06 KB)
310_4bafeac5485b1.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2010/3/28 18:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
Sorry for the two pics. Guess I did something wrong.

Posted on: 2010/3/28 18:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
Sorry for the two pics. Guess I did something wrong.

Nope: "Double plus good!" (lyric from 1984 by the Eurymics)

Posted on: 2010/3/28 19:42
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
That's one spiffy red/black Panama! There are some Deluxes out there, but it's pretty rare to see really well preserved originals, or properly restored ones, in the kind of numbers that you see of Caribs, or hardtops of any series. I guess that's because, besides being econo models, all were 4 dr sedans. A hardtop Deluxe might have been interesting.

Posted on: 2010/3/29 9:13
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mrs. Amanda Burton
See User information
I have never participated in one of the forums before but I am glad I came across this one. It seems I have a car that, for some-other than myself, is more special than I thought it was. Which makes me laugh because of my story with this car and it makes me wonder if people are more surprised that I own it or that they don't see many of them. Maybe both.
If you don't mind, here is a little bit of background on myself and my car:
I was 18 and I had never owned my own car before and it was time to do so. The rules as my Dad and I had decided upon were that if I was paying for it then I was picking it as long as it was in good order. I don't think he expected it when I told him I wanted a classic car as my first car. I also don't think he was expecting me to say that I wanted a 1950's something sedan instead of the "normal" muscle/sports car coveted by teenagers. He gave me a grin and told me that if I could find one... Well, I did. It was listed in the Flint Journal with very few details and no price. To entertain me, we went to see it. The man selling it was tickled when he was told that it wasn't my Dad interested in it but rather his 18 year old daughter. I had never even heard of a Packard but when I saw it, it was perfect. Six years later I still have my first car, my 1956 Clipper Deluxe, in like original condition.

Posted on: 2010/4/1 13:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
On the question of who buys a stripped luxury car or big car with no options.

I once owned a 1968 Buick Electra 225 2 door hardtop with exactly 2 options: the cheapest AM radio, and the biggest engine available: the 365HP 430 V8 with 10:1 compression.

I have seen similar cars but very few. One was a base 1975 Dodge Monaco 4 door sedan (a C body car, the same body as Chrysler) with a 440 4 barrel motor.

Both these cars had trailer hitches. My theory was that they were bought by middle aged men who wanted a heavy powerful car to pull a trailer but did not want to spend any more than they had to.

The alternative would be that the original owner was used to driving cheap Fords or Plymouths with no power windows, steering or other options. But when they could afford a new car they wanted to buy something good, like a Packard. But they had a budget and could not see splashing out on expensive luxuries they were not used to and didn't miss.

Posted on: 2010/4/1 14:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
alburton wrote:........18 year old daughter. I had never even heard of a Packard but when I saw it, it was perfect. Six years later I still have my first car, my 1956 Clipper Deluxe, in like original condition.
G'day alburton.
A very special to you in joining PackardInfo. Although we have some female members, like most things automotive related, our membership is predominantly male. That coupled with your age, one of the youngest members here, makes for a very rare combination. Really enjoyed your story being surprised and delighted with your gender revelation near the end, well done!

I'm sure we'd all like to know more about your '56 Clipper Deluxe and to this end I invite you to include it in the Packard Owner's Registry here, together with a pic, any known history and the great story of how you acquired it.

Posted on: 2010/4/1 16:22
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mrs. Amanda Burton
See User information
Thank you for the welcome. I did indeed enter my car into the owner's registry but I am having difficulty getting my image to show up. I'll have to try again later. I'm glad you enjoyed the summary of our history. You can only imagine the looks I get in it and why it is so funny that one of the cars that you don't see many of belongs to an owner you see even fewer of.

Attach file:

jpg  (117.80 KB)
2468_4bb561b7be80d.jpg 1280X1123 px

Posted on: 2010/4/1 22:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
alburton for including your '56 Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry. The expanded edition of your story is quite a tale, congratulations on your Packard bringing you and your husband together. But a question, did you load a pic? There doesn't appear to be one with your entry.

Posted on: 2010/4/1 22:18
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mrs. Amanda Burton
See User information
It shows here in the forum but it wouldn't load in the registry.

Posted on: 2010/4/1 22:20
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved