Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
162 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 161

Alvin14, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

38 Packard wont start
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

executivekev
See User information
I am working on a 1938 Packard Super 8, the car came to me to fix. I primarily work on English cars so you will have to forgive me with my lack of knowledge on these beautiful motorcars. The initial problem was a bad battery which was easy, after installing the battery and squirting starting fluid down the carb she fired right up, I took her for a drive and found it to be missing a little. After I came back I turned her off and had my morning cup of tea, I went back out to start her and no joy. I decided to change the points, condensor, cap and plugs. Because the car was stood for about 3 months I rebuilt the stromberg carb and the mechanical fuel pump, I figured I would give her a good overhaul. After doing all this the car will not start, I have spark from the coil and I have spark from all spark plugs when I lay the plugs out. The firing order is correct. The manual states that the timing marks are on the flywheel, I have looked everywhere but I cant find any. The only marks I can find is a 0 on the front pulley with a pointer on the front of the engine, which I would assume are the timing marks, I aligned the 0 with the pointer, #1 piston on the firing stroke, #1 being the front of the engine with the rotor pointing at #1 wire and no firing. The manual says 6 degrees before TDC which I have tried by setting just before 0. I have squirted starting fluid down the carb while moving the distributor slightly and still no firing. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Kevin.

Posted on: 2010/5/18 17:52
 Top  Print   

Re: 38 Packard wont start
Home away from home
Home away from home

Richard Taylor
See User information
Run a compression test ,wet and dry.
You have (good?)spark and(good?) fuel.

It's possible you may have a bad condesor ?
Alot of great mechanics have pulled their hair out over a new condensor that was faulty.

Posted on: 2010/5/18 20:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
I don't know about the super 8 but on my 38 standard 8 there is a hole in the bell housing below and to the right of the starter. You have to take out the fender liner and stick your head in there.

Posted on: 2010/5/18 21:15
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

executivekev
See User information
Thankyou for your reply, the compression I have is between 110 and 120 across the 8 cylinders, I have a great spark which would not be there with a bad condensor and the points would be burnt. Gas is new.

Posted on: 2010/5/18 21:49
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

executivekev
See User information
Thankyou
I will look tomorrow.

Posted on: 2010/5/18 21:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
executivekev wrote: I am working on a 1938 Packard Super 8, the car came to me to fix........Kevin.
G'day Kevin,
First, to PackardInfo.

Second, have you perused the 1937-1938 Shop Manual available for download from the Packard Literature and Manuals section here on PackardInfo?

Third, a request. If it's OK with the '38's owner, could you please include his '38 Super 8 in the Packard Owner's Registry here, together with a pic, any known history and how it was acquired?

Posted on: 2010/5/18 21:56
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

executivekev
See User information
G'day mate
The Packard I am working on is a Super 8 convertible, at the moment the owner is in Europe, as soon he comes back I will get the info. I looked up the workshop manual and I will download it tonight, thanks Kevin the limey, dont hold it against me.

I checked underneath the starter this morning and found no cover plate or opening for timing marks, I will look in the manual.

I did notice that there is quite a lot of play in the distributor rotor back and forth, which is about half an inch. I removed the distributor and found that the play is not in the distributor itself but in the drive between the bottom of the distributor peg and whatever drives the distributor, any thoughts anyone, Kevin.

Posted on: 2010/5/19 7:57
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

johnpoly
See User information
Following an engine rebuild on my '40 8cyl, my mechanic and I looked for a timing hole on the bell housing. None to be found! What's going on here? Is this typical? Being a pro, my mechanic set the timing an old fashioned way. He got it right on the first try.

Posted on: 2010/5/21 10:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
That kind of play in the rotor is too much. Did I understand you to say the play was in the rod beneath the distributor? If so, this rod is connected to the distributor gear on the camshaft. Make not of the direction of the slot in this shaft and pull it out of the cylinder block. Check the end of this shaft to determine if it has worn. If it isn't, the play may be in the gear itself. I hope not. The only way to replace/repair this gear is to split the block and replace it.

Posted on: 2010/5/27 22:47
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
I would suggest that there is no need to worry about the play in the extension shaft which goes from the distributor to the top of the oil pump drive. It drives in one direction only and has no effect once the timing is set. The fact that you started the car and drove it indicated that there can't be too much wrong with the initial settings. The timing marks are usually on the vibration damper , but if they are not ( some engines have a pulley only), then you have to remove the starter motor and use the timing marks on the flywheel. Best regards Peter Toet

Posted on: 2010/5/27 23:50
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved