Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
272 user(s) are online (168 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 270

Tobs, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Just like the factory, period correct, or owner preference?
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Dan

To cut to the chase a little bit, I and some of the rest of us, think that Packard made some of the best cars ever built, and I'm not qualified enough to improve one. I'm much more interested in trying to figure out what they did in the first place, and why, than looking at someone's "improvements". The "improvements" seem to be all the same anyhow

I had a Saab 96 for a short while in the 70"s.. The two stroke engine toasted itself after a few months, which is what they did, so I moved on. I liked the car a lot.

Two years ago I saw an original Saab 95 Wagon at a cruise night complete with the 2 stroke engine. Apparently 2 stroke oils are much better now. As I was studying it, someone came up and said it would be really cool with a crate 350 in it.

I told him that after his friends put crate 350s, automatics and tilt steering wheels in all the old cars and made them all alike that no one would care about them anymore.

He agreed

Regards

John Harley

Posted on: 2010/6/7 22:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
John, did you ever notice at a car cruise that very few even look at cars with a Chevy 350 in it? They just walk on by - but they will stop and look at an original car, or one that has been restored rather faithfully, and ask questions.

Posted on: 2010/6/7 23:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Randy

I'm too busy walking by the cars myself to notice...

Regards

John

Posted on: 2010/6/8 7:20
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

A man who owns one!
See User information
It all boils down to what the car will be used for. I'd expect certain things from a trailer queen. And who'd blame you for turning away your head at another crate 350. But I want to drive my packard coast to coast. I don't want 8 miles per gallon, I don't want to get my hands dirty on the side of the road. So nothing you've mentioned would fit my criteria. Automotive technology has come a long way in the past hundred year. And in my opinion style has not. So it is of my opinion that a vehicle should be purpose built. Also that a well preserved original should not be butchered or hacked. That would be a sin. But in some instances (mine) a beautiful rust bucket that has been destined to make my next beer can, could be a one of a kind purpose built joy ride. A piece of art that almost nobody has and everybody wants to see going down the freeway.

My vote: OWNER PREFERENCE

Posted on: 2010/6/8 13:44
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

johnpoly
See User information
Speaking of Cruise-ins, have you noticed how many people ask "what model is that"? Of course they mean "what year is that".
If I said my car is a model 1801 I would get a blank stare and a follow up question about the year. I always tell them it is a 1940 and they smile. No need to be a smarta**.

Posted on: 2010/6/8 17:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike T
See User information
I second the thought that your Packard should be purpose built. If you want it all period correct, then that's how you build it. Trailer queen, daily-driver. resto-mod, custom, it's your ride. Build it to enjoy it.

I think most will agree we all like Packards for their unique style. Which unique "style" you identify with is a personal choice. One not being better than the other. One not being equall to the other. And thats a good thing.

Posted on: 2010/6/8 21:32
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

jbakerps
See User information
actually, i agree with all the above thoughts on what a "proper restoration" is. i've always strived to be "period" correct - what was correct for that time in our history. i may not always paint the car the color it came from the factory with, but will only do it in the colors that were available for that model and year. paying customer's do get some input. i will vary is some cases. say the client is wanting a driver or something to tour in, o.k. i'll put on radial tires and adjust the suspension. say the client wants a collector for his museum, then i will go the extra lengths for that more-than-perfect paint job. (of course i still do not do base coat/clear coat finishes. when did you see an original pre-war car with clear coat?) and, there has never been nor ever will be any bondo in my shop! so you know that means going the extra mile in labor.
as time allows, i will post some photos of my inventory of packards and current projects underway. of my favorites is a 52 ford f3 pick-up, unrestored original truck that is my daily driver. bought it from the original owner.

jb

Posted on: 2010/6/9 7:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
jbakerps wrote:......as time allows, i will post some photos of my inventory of packards and current projects underway. of my favorites is a 52 ford f3 pick-up, unrestored original truck that is my daily driver. bought it from the original owner. jb
jb,
Looking forward to the pic's.

Posted on: 2010/6/9 15:29
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
not to hijack the thread - but i read an obscure post from 2001 that said packard considered the fenders/running boards as part of the chassis. since chassis were painted black, would that mean it would be correct for my 37' 115c to have black fenders with a different body color...kinda like a model t?

Only the cheapest cars were done this way in 1937. The cheapest Plymouth model came with black fenders and running boards, having them painted body color cost extra. How long they did this I don't know but Dodge pickup trucks still came this way in the early 50s.

Ironically on a Packard you could get the same thing but it was called 2 tone and cost extra.

I'm just guessing on that last part. Does anyone know Packard's policy on 2 tone finishes in 1937?

Posted on: 2010/6/9 19:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Just my opinion, but I'm not aware of any factory 2-tone color codes that year. The cars are not designed with natural break lines for color (like the wrap around belt trim on the 41's). Could an owner get it done? Probably yes, for a fee. How likely was that to happen on a 115?

Posted on: 2010/6/14 14:42
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved