Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
216 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 213

DM37, Don B, 37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Packard Trunk?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Martin OToole
See User information
Have a trunk marked as a Packard trunk. At first I was convinced it was fake, but the musty smell from the interior could mean that it's real. The fitting seem too bright and contemporary to the rest of the item. The wood seems age-appropriate, but oddly positioned to me.

The Packard badge is blue.

Martin K. O'Toole
Marietta, Georgia

Attach file:

jpg  (121.39 KB)
2793_4c4b9edd2731b.jpg 1020X765 px

Posted on: 2010/7/24 21:18
1940 Model 1807 Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard Trunk?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Martin OToole
See User information
Here's the trunk in a wider view.

Martin K. O'Toole
Marietta, Georgia

Attach file:

jpg  (80.00 KB)
2793_4c4b9f9177053.jpg 1020X765 px

Posted on: 2010/7/24 21:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The label sure looks appropriate. Looking at a few accessory catalogs of the 30's, I see curved top trunks and fitted square suitcases. In your pictures, the trunk looks more squared so will be interesting to hear from those in the know whether they think it is real and what year and model it might be used on.

Posted on: 2010/7/24 21:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
One of the several types of "K" trunks Packard offered, most probably from the years between 1932 and 1936. Mfd by the Kam-Lee Company. There were also several interior configurations.

Posted on: 2010/7/24 22:04
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Martin OToole
See User information
I'll try again. I note that I have been upgraded to "not to shy to talk," so permit me to babble away.

The educational quality of this forum is splendid. The link provided by Guscha makes clear that my trunk is the first one listed. One thing that troubled me is that the locks and hinge opened apparently upward. This seemed to design that would invite water leakage in bad weather.

The interior does show the Diamond "K" mentioned in an IM to me.

So it appears correct, but should have been sold between 1931 - 1936 if the link is correct; too early for my 1940 as a dealer supplied item. Maybe I can fantasize that I saved it when I traded in my 1934 V-12 convertible sedan? :)

Martin K. O'Toole
Marietta, Georgia

Posted on: 2010/7/25 15:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Hi Martin: I'm not sure what else you're looking for. As I mentioned earlier in response to your question, you have a Kam-Lee trunk, sold by Packard as well as other prestige car manufacturers, factory or dealer installed, and appropriate to approximately 1932 thru 1936. In those years several styles were offered, both top-opening and back-drop-down, with different internal configurations of suitcases and hatboxes. Yes, the liner should be blue, as in the (lousy) photo below.

There are two pages in the 1934 Accessory Catalog devoted to trunks, also attached.

Attach file:

jpg  (97.28 KB)
177_4c4cbbdccbefc.jpg 956X1280 px

jpg  (91.10 KB)
177_4c4cbbe90a901.jpg 923X1280 px

jpg  (97.85 KB)
177_4c4cbbfc9b260.jpg 1280X709 px

Posted on: 2010/7/25 17:35
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Martin OToole
See User information
Owen:

Not looking for anything now. I am confirming that the excellent informational sources have satisfied me. Sorry if I did not make myself clearer.

Martin K. O'Toole
Marietta, Georgia

Posted on: 2010/7/25 18:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Martin
The other thing(s) you'll need if you want to use a trunk on your car: You'll quickly notice that with the accessory trunk on the rack, you will no longer be able to open your regular trunk. Packard offered a set of folding brackets that allowed you to swing the trunk forward, allowing you to open the regular trunk. You may need to "rig" up your own brackets, though, as the original brackets are scarce.
In my opinion, though, the accessory trunk does absolutely nothing for the looks of the car. I would only put it on when touring (your regular trunk should suffice, though), or if you just want to show it off as a novelty.

Posted on: 2010/8/2 8:53
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved