Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
180 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 179

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1940 Packard 110 convertible... to buy or not to buy? That is the question...
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Hi victor, that looks like a fine car! Congratulations. I think you have a very worthy candidate for your time and attention. Please don't hesitate to share more photos and keep us posted on your progress.

I will PM you Jim's contact info. I have a '40 also and refer Jim's book at least once a week. I promise you it is the '40 owners best friend, and a darn fine read for all interested in Packards.

Jim

Posted on: 2010/9/30 20:44
 Top  Print   

Re: 1940 Packard 110 convertible... to buy or not to buy? That is the question...
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Looks like a good project to me. Suggest you simply post your specific wants as you determine what you need. Plenty of guys on here, myself included, should be able to help with parts...how is shipping to Mexico, or might you have a US friend/ship point?

Posted on: 2010/9/30 23:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
Jim and all:

Thanks for your comments! I just got the car last night. I will start working on an inventory of what I have and I need to get and start by getting Jim Hollingsworth book. I alwys like to get as much information as possible and find all the parts needed (or most of them) before embarking on a restoration. That will probably take some time, and I also need to finish some other projects before I start the heavy work on it. In the meantime, we will work on the mechanicals, to turn the car into a driveable one. Car's engine does not sound bad, but I need to find the correct carburator (any leads?), air filter, coil, points... and also work on brakes, gas tank and line, etc. The car already has a new radiator.

One question about the dashboard which I haven't been able to find out about. Were 110 dashboards painted body color (certainly hope so) or the sort of white wood I have seen in 120's?

Thanks,
Victor

Posted on: 2010/10/2 9:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Victor - unfortunately, Jim Hollingsworth passed away last Oct. He had the book printed himself, so there is no printer to go to to get one. Amazon has a used one for sale for $275. I have a first edition print I bought from Jim when I lived in Dallas. It does have tons of information in it. If you will let me know what info you need, I'll see if I can find it in the book. Just pm me.

I had a 40 120 when I lived in Dallas, and Jim helped me out of lots of tough spots. The 40's had several different wood graining available -sounds like you've seen the Aspen (gray wood grain) version. Jim woodgrained his dashes using the Grain It technology plates. I've done my 39 dash as well. It's not extremely hard once you pull the dash. Be glad to share info on that process as well.

Be sure to look on this website on the Packard Model Info section and look at the salesman data book. There is a lot of good information in there. And the price is very reasonable!

Posted on: 2013/1/4 20:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Just curious-is the car still 6v postive ground? I noticed an alternator in a picture. Any idea what the orginal color was?

Posted on: 2013/1/5 15:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
David:

Thanks for your post and willingness to help. I did get the book from Jim Hollingsworth. The other Jim in the post gave me his contact info. I had met him before in a Packard club meet and bought a 1941 Patent plate from him. Now I got his book also, which he kindly sent, after spending quite a time with me on the phone helping solve some doubts. He was a great guy, incredibly knowledgeable. The Packard world lost one of it's great assets.

About my car, I haven't done much to it, other that slowly buying the needed parts. I got a correct carburator, a generator (need to revert it to 6V possitive ground) and several trim pieces, bumper, hubcaps, dashboard parts, etc. I am still missing some things.

I plan to restore it in burgundy color (though to tell the truth I haven't even tried to find out what color it was originally). I am planning on medium brown leather interior, and therefore I am considering doing the dashboard in the regular wooden color which was also original, and not on the Aspen (grayish white) type.

I have been working on several project and this one is on the waiting list. I may not even start it this year but perhaps on the following one. That is not to say I don't like it and not have a goal of having it on the road soon... but I do have some other things which I need to attend to first.

By the way, I did check on brakes, bearings and engine, and took it out for a spin. Not bad at all, though I will have to redo most of the car.

Thanks again,
victor

Posted on: 2013/1/5 20:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
I tried to post some pics of my first drive with the car, but the page responded: "Protector detects attacking actions"

Anyhow, you are not missing anything real interesting... the car is a mess and needs a lot of work.

Thanks,
victor

Posted on: 2013/1/5 21:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Let me know if you would like the dash wood grained. I have the plates to do that in the original burl elm, as well as the mahogany for the window trim.

I went back to your first post. You can look on Bill Hirsch's websitehttp://www.hirschauto.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PACHUB-13 on the reproduction hubcaps. The early 40's had a script Packard, and the later ones had the red hexagon with the word Packard 110 on them. Jim also talks about this in his book, if I remember correctly.

Posted on: 2013/1/5 21:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
Thanks David. I will not be restoring the car soon but I will keep it in mind and thanks a lot for your help... or if you would consider selling your plates, I will gladly get them from you.

Thanks
victor

Posted on: 2013/1/5 21:54
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved