Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
172 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 169

Chuck McDonald, Packard Don, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

sylphon bellows and heat gauge repairs
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jim Eubanks
See User information
I am pleased to recommend a skilled craftsman who rebuilds shutter bellows, thermostats and heat gauges for most all classic automobiles and soon will be doing hydrostatic gas gauges and sending units. His name is Jim Otto and he has many years of experience. Phone 865-966-9494. He reworked the shutter thermostat and heat gauge for my 626 and the same for a friends 29 and does quality work.

Posted on: 2010/10/20 18:54
 Top  Print   

Re: sylphon bellows and heat gauge repairs
Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
The thermostat for the radiator shutters can be easily repaired if the bellows are still intact. I repaired the bellows on my 1929 633 about 8 years ago and it is still working. There is a small hole that has been soft soldered closed, which if my memory serves me correctly, is on the hexagonal nut. I simply drilled a 1/16" dia hole through this and injected about one teaspoon full of ether into the bellows then soldered the hole closed. However it is only a matter of time before the old bellows suffer fatigue cracks and then it will be beyond repair unless suitable replacement bellows can be found. So, if the above repair includes new bellows then that is the way to go, otherwise it is a temporary fix
I have since made a new shutter thermostat using a modern wax filled thermostat from a large industrial diesel engine for another 1929, this works better than the repaired one which opens prematurely probably due to my having put too much ether in it.

Posted on: 2010/10/20 22:27
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hobbs
See User information
David,

Can you supply some more information on this topic, I am in the midst of replacing my sylphon and am always looking at other options.

Posted on: 2010/10/20 23:00
1933 Packard Sedan
Registry
Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
I have a sketch and some photos that I have tried unsuccessfully to attach to this post so if you let me have your e-mail address I will try again.

Posted on: 2010/10/21 4:16
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hobbs
See User information
Sound great, the wax option intrigues me, I look forward to your email.

Posted on: 2010/10/21 7:58
1933 Packard Sedan
Registry
Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I guess you guys know the earlier series used a different Sylphon that the 33 (and perhaps 32) and up? As far as the early type goes, of course they can often be repaired but the only person I know who has them remanufactured is Automotive Restorations in NJ.

Posted on: 2010/10/21 8:56
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jim Eubanks
See User information
New bellows are installed. He also builds them for some of the major peddlers.

Posted on: 2010/10/21 14:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
Hobbs, I have sent you a direct e-mail with details of the "new" thermostat. Let me know if you do not receive it. My attempts to "Attach file" never work, otherwise I would have posted it here.

Posted on: 2010/10/21 18:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
Jim Otto 865-966-9494 repairs these.

Posted on: 2010/10/22 14:38
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved