Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
141 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 141

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Hubcaps for a 1940 One Ten... and other early features
Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
Hi:

I need to find a set of hubcaps for my car, of the Packard script type. I have seen them listed as 120, 160 and 180, but I believe the look the same as the ones for the 110 models.

Can anybody verify on this? Are they really the same for all the models Packard offer in 1940 or is there any difference between them?

Any chance anybody might have a set for sale?

Thanks,
Victdor

Posted on: 2010/10/24 0:10
 Top  Print   

Re: Hubcaps for a 1940 One Ten
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I believe Bill Hirsch reproduces them.

Posted on: 2010/10/24 0:11
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Kanter Auto Parts is the only one with script hubcaps for 1940. These were used on the cars made prior to Feb 1940. After that they used the ones Bill Hirsch sells which have the series number around the hexagon, but no script. The 110 hubcaps look the same but are smaller than the others, so be sure they have the right size for 110. I bought the script ones from Kanter and they are beeea-utiful.

I have one 110 wheel and rough script hubcap I bought by mistake for $40 on eBay. That's why I am so knowledgeable NOW.
Joe

Posted on: 2010/10/24 0:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
Joe: Thanks! Very usefull information. I believe my car used the earlier ones but is there a way I can be sure of it without the plate, which is missing? I have the earlier type of bumper, but I don't know till when was that one used.

I still need to get Jim Hollingsworth book.

Thanks again,
Victor

Posted on: 2010/10/24 11:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Hi Victor,

I have a couple of Packard 110 hubcaps that I took off a pre-war (I think it was a 40 or 41) coupe when I was 10. No, I didn't steal them, the car was behind a Shell station in Albany that belonged to a family friend. If I remember right, the car had a blown engine or some such and was headed to a salvage yard. As I remember I thought even then it was a waste because the car was really in pretty good shape. It was the first 6 cylinder Packard I had ever seen.
Back to the hubcaps: they still have the original factory paint and around the hexagon are the words "Packard 110" two times. One is really very very nice, the other could use some touch-up on the paint. Chrome is very good on the better of the two, and driver quality on the other. It maybe that it just needs polishing but I've never tried.
Let me know if you are interested as they aren't doing me any good. I can take a picture and send it to you.

Jim L. in OR

Posted on: 2010/10/24 15:02
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
JimL, I think what you did is what we now called "recycling", but we used to call it "liberating". Either way, you saved something that is going to have another life. Thanks.

(o{i}o)

Posted on: 2010/10/24 18:21
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Early cars (mostly built in 1939...pre Feb 1940) have script through the hexagon hubcap. The later cars have the hubcaps with the series number around the hexagon.
Early cars have Mottled Aspen woodgrain, not a darker, browner Sapele Mahogany. (see photo)
ON 110s, the Packard Script at the front of the hood vents is red on early cars, but could have been changed at the dealer to a green background if the customer complained that the red washes off.
There is some added chrome on the doors of the later 110 that was not on the early ones.
The upholstery on the 110 was improved over earlier cars, but not sure how.
A fleur de lise emblem on the trunk lid on early cars was replaced on most cars with a shield-shaped emblem with the Packard coat of arms and front grille design. But if the fleur is there still, it's definitely an early car.

This info is from a PAC magazine article by Ray Anselmo, Winter 2005. He belongs to PAC. Not contradicted by what I know. My car has the script caps, mottled aspen, and no chrome strips on the sidemount covers, which were added to later cars.

Attach file:

jpg  (17.71 KB)
1067_4cc4f30d4efb2.jpg 800X154 px

Posted on: 2010/10/24 22:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Forsyth
See User information
The script ones from Kanter won't fit the 110.....different size. I got a set that says 110 from Hirsch. Don't know of any other source of caps for the 110.

Posted on: 2010/10/24 22:56
Carpe Diem!! Registry
 Top  Print   

Re: Hubcaps for a 1940 One Ten... and other early features
Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
Joe:

Thanks a lot for all the info. I am learning a lot. By the way, I looked at your blog and it is great. Magnificent car, congratulations.

On the hubcap controversy (thanks to the guys that have been participating), I guess I first need to find out if my car is an early or late model (no plate). Engine nr is C23992B (with engines for 1940 starting at C1551 and end at C64111), which would situate the car as around 1/3rd of production, so it is probably the earlier model. The past owner gave me two sets of the front moulding with the emblem at the side of the hood, one says Packard and the other 110, so that will not be a clue to help me determine if is an early or late car. The only clue I have is that I have the earlier type of rear bumper, sort of tappered at the ends. The front one is surely incorrect as it is an even earlier type.

Would you know when the bumper change took place? I mean from the tappered bumper to the straight bumper. Perhaps that will help in determining wether I need the script smaller hubcaps or the 110 hubcaps.

Jim L.: Thanks a lot for your offer of the hubcaps. I need to find out which type I need first.

Appin: Thanks for the tip. Hirsch will be, in case that is the type of hubcap that I need.

Victor

Posted on: 2010/10/25 18:57
 Top  Print   

Re: Hubcaps for a 1940 One Ten... and other early features
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
You're more than welcome.
If you wind up needing the "Packard 110" caps, let me know and I can send you a picture of these.

Posted on: 2010/10/25 19:16
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved