Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
70 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 67

Kiwi Lad, bkazmer, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 ... 17 »

Re: Bendix Treadle Vac Study- Serioius Business!!
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
ACOlds, are you reading?

Posted on: 2010/12/13 19:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
HH56. Your recommendation of using a remote fill reservoir with atmospheric seal membrane is the best idea i've heard about the BTV in 12 years of Packarding.

Posted on: 2010/12/13 22:12
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
I assume Randy is referring to my project of replicating the remote fill system. The jars I located are the same style and capacity and cap and jar have same thread the brackets will be the hardest part to reproduce. They are a work in progress at this time . My main drive was to make a few for myself and brothers cars . Will need to find a source of a non-vented cap for the TV unit as I have a source for the master cylinder for my use on a 57 Clipper

Posted on: 2010/12/14 1:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Glad to hear someone is working on the remote fill and hope you decide to expand beyond the original few. If you have the bracket solved, that looks like the hardest part so congratulations. One nice thing about those particular vented caps is with it being fairly large and metal, add in a little drill press work they can become unvented and reholed where needed without too much strain.

I know about work in progress. Started a couple of projects, but with my usual few hours of steady work, 5 months set it aside after losing interest cycle, neither have progressed very far. Gave a few samples away on one but haven't been inspired enough to make some needed changes yet to do much more with it. Fortunately mine are more in the "can it be done" category so hopefully your work will go better.

Posted on: 2010/12/14 11:35
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Someone posted about the OD of various versions of the compesator valve adn if the larger ones would hit the valve housing and not work. The engineers who design origianl and replacement parts are very competent dn if a larger valve would interfere and not work there would be a 100% failure rate. that has not occurred thus it is not an issue.
From my prev post photos
#1 .555"
#2 .550"
#3 .585"

Valve housing bore .720" Plenty of room to operate when tipped, it tried all 3

Posted on: 2010/12/16 17:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Fred Kanter Quote:
From my prev post photos
#1 .555"
#2 .550"
#3 .585"

Hmmm...0.035" seems like lot in any "precision fit" situation.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/12/16 18:46
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
How are these rebuilt units cleaned during the rebuilding process? Glass beading seems like it plays a part of the overall process. I've use a product in my blast cabinet that is called 'Star blast' and it cuts through most things. That makes me wonder, that if during the cleaning process, if the internal dimensions change (get bigger) and actual unit material is actually being 'scrubbed' away due to the abrasives being used?

Posted on: 2010/12/18 21:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
A good question but the only thing I would imagine a decent rebuilder would clean that way would be outer surfaces. If he did any of the internal items using Star Blast and roughed things up, I'd really question their competency. Glass or walnut shell type media, being fairly soft, I doubt any damage would be done--although getting all of it thorougly cleaned out might be an issue. Star Blast, being sand, would be fairly aggressive.

The piston if roughed up would wear the seal. If the internal casting surfaces were done, then I think the only place that would be adversely affected if larger would be the seal outer bore area. A leak at either, assuming the gasket has closed the relief port as we have found, would wind up feeding fluid into the vacuum portion. Unless bad enough the fluid was sucked dry in a short distance, would wonder if there would be the sudden failure people have experienced with either.

Posted on: 2010/12/18 23:20
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

37buscoupe
See User information
On the subject of brakes, does anyone know how the Kantor disc brake converion kits are? I want to place on my 37 115C. Thanks, Rich

Posted on: 2010/12/28 12:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
COMPENSATOR VALVE OFFER UPDATE

About a month ago I offered a free new compensator valve to anyone who was doubtful of hte quality or condition of the one in their car. To dat I have fulfilled one (1) request.

BTV FAILURE STUDY

At the same time I requested that anyone who experienced sudden BTV failure send me their unit for examination. Thus far I have recieved one (1) offer, details are being worked out

SOMETHING TO CONSIDER

It is beyond question that BTV's fail. When considering the problem in its entirety, it is important to remember that non-power master cylinders also experience failure. It would be very revealing if it were possible to determine the % failure of BTV's vs. non-power master cylinders.

Posted on: 2010/12/30 23:52
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 ... 17 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved