Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
212 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 210

Test User, Stewart Ballard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Lord Montagu Motor Museum @ Beaulieu
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm going to be in Amsterdam and Rotterdam in July, visiting some maritime museums and then taking a transatlantic crossing on m/s Rotterdam back to New York City with a stop in Southampton. In Southampton two choices during the port stop are a visit to the Lord Montagu museum (National Motor Museum) at Beaulieu, or going to Stonehenge; that's going to be a very difficult choice to make. If anyone has visited the motor museum at Beaulieu or has input, I'd appreciate your comments about it.

Posted on: 2011/4/5 8:56
 Top  Print   

Re: Lord Montagu Motor Museum @ Beaulieu
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
O_D, never been to either place. I understand Stonehenge is not as impressive as one would expect. Sort of like an arrangement of refrigerator size stone blocks. I have a brochure booklet from the museum at Beaulieu and it looks to me be one of the better auto museums. If it were me I would go to Beaulieu and see Stonehenge on a TV documentary. Either way, enjoy the trip.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/4/5 9:42
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The problem with stone henge (and I have been there), is that you cant even get near the stones. They now keep you like 50ft away from them. I guess too many tourists trying to chip off a souvenir has done it's damage over the years.

It's pretty impressive in person, but not the experience you would want if you wanted to walk amongst the stones.

Posted on: 2011/4/5 9:45
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
I've been to both, and as Kev noted there is a fence around Stonehenge that prevents viewers from getting up close. The motor museum is worthwhile.

Brian

Posted on: 2011/4/5 10:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Hi Dave,
Glad to hear that you are visiting the U.K. Although Stonehenge is impressive to look at,as the other guys stated
you can't get near it. Beaulieu is well worth a visit and you are in one of the most beautiful parts of the country with lots of nice pubs in the New Forest. Near to the motor museum is the old village of Bucklers hard where they built the old oak warships like Nelsons Victory. The area is where the build up for the invasion of Europe took place and a lot of the concrete Mulberry floating harbour were built there. It's a shame that you have only a short time here as there is lots of things to see in the area. Not too far away is Lord Mountbattens country home Broadlands which is open to the public.
If I can be of any further help please let me know

Regards

Terry

Posted on: 2011/4/5 11:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks JW, Kev, BDeB, and Terry for your comments. I know the museum is undergoing some substantial renovation and some exhibits may be closed, but it seems the decision will not be as hard to make as I first thought. And good pubs would be a clincher.

Terry, don't know where in the UK you're located, but we're in port from 8 am until 6 pm; if you're really convenient to Southampton it would be great to get together for a visit. If that's a possibility, let's email or PM.

Posted on: 2011/4/5 12:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Dave,
We actually live in Enfield North London but Hampshire and Dorset are our favourite places and now we are retired we can take a trip down to Beaulieu to see you.
Am I correct in assuming that you are on a cruise?
How about we E-mail one another nearer the time to make arrangements?
Terry

Posted on: 2011/4/5 14:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Hey Terry, that would be great to meet and be able to put faces and voices with email and screen names. For sure I'll email you as the date gets closer. Yes, it's a transatlantic cruise; I'll be on Holland-America's flagship m/s Rotterdam, docking in Southampton about 8 AM. Shortly before departure I should have my departure time from Southampton for Beaulieu.

Posted on: 2011/4/5 14:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
Stonehenge is fascinating but the Beaulieu museum was the highlight of our trip to the UK. Not many Packards though!
Beautiful countryside.

Posted on: 2011/4/5 17:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Great, We look forward to that.
Terry

Posted on: 2011/4/6 4:18
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved