Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
125 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 125

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

22 Series Rear Shocks
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Michal
See User information
I might be missing it when I search the site but is there a current shock that will fit the rear of my 2202? Those fronts are clearly a special item but I'm hoping the rears won't be. Course I'm rushing to install them before the weekend so I'm hoping to find one of my local joints that might carry a drop-in replacement. Maybe someone out there's gone down this road before?

Thanks as always,

Posted on: 2011/4/13 11:17
Michal

Proud owner of a '48 2272 but I really wanted a club sedan?
 Top  Print   

Re: 22 Series Rear Shocks
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Someone may have a cross-over #, I don't. But just measure the minimum compressed length and the maximum extended length and take them along with a note of what type of ends they have and any parts counter guy worth his salary should be able to match quite quickly. VERY common shock.

Posted on: 2011/4/13 11:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Michal, I bought a set of Delco air shocks from Max Merritt for my 1947 Custom Clipper (2106 2122). I believe the cost was $40.

(o{I}o)

Attach file:

jpg  (29.26 KB)
565_4da5d727685d8.jpg 480X640 px

Posted on: 2011/4/13 12:03
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Michal
See User information
Thanks JW; wish I could make out the model number on those ACDelco boxes. I talked to my parts house and they're gonna match something up and send it out in a few hours... I'll keep you posted.

So far, the shocks that came off don't look too legit. They're a maroon color with a plain silver label and no brand name that I can make out. They've got loops for 5/8 studs and travel 14" - 22".

Attach file:

jpg  (46.13 KB)
2646_4da5ef9eb7941.jpg 640X478 px

Posted on: 2011/4/13 13:45
Michal

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I got a pair of gas-charged shocks for my 23rd series Custom at NAPA. Part #94080. They seem to work fine. Approximately $42 (November 2007). They were selected using the Owen_Dyneto method... took the old ones to the counter man and we matched up a new pair.

Edit: Can't swear that the shocks that fit a 2306 will also work on a 2202.

Posted on: 2011/4/13 15:51
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Michal
See User information
Well I used the Remote Owen Dyneto Method and my parts guys sent me Monroe 37029 @ $37.29 per. I have to admit that they were longer and wider than what came off but I was impatient enough to take my chances and install them for a test. (I'm sure that committed the purchase too.)

Quick run around the neighborhood and I'm happy to report that they feel very nice; sure makes me realize how far down the rear-end had been squatting. The acid-test will come later today when I can get out and pick up the pace a bit...

Posted on: 2011/4/13 17:17
Michal

Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved