Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
217 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 217

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Unknown wire on 47 Super Custom Clipper?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

packard7
See User information
I am trying to find out where a loose wire in my 47 Packard super custom 8 goes. The car has the electromatic clutch. There are 3 wires in the loom. Two of them are male push in connectors that go to the Clutch Control valve. The 3rd wire is about 9 inches much longer and has a round wire connector end. It seems to come from the Overdrive control relay. It is not a live wire so I assume it acts a ground for another circuit? Any ideas?

Posted on: 2011/5/22 0:44
 Top  Print   

Re: Unknown wire on 47 Super Custom Clipper?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
To be sure I will have to go look at the wiring harness on my car but my guess is it is the wire for the plunger switch called the "direct speed switch" located down by the shift control levers. It is attached to an adjustable aluminum arm. Wish I had a picture but if you search the 46-50 Manual in Section 7 you will find a wiring schematic, a dsecription of its purpose and a photo of the switch.

Posted on: 2011/5/22 8:33

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I think Clipper47 has identified it. Is this switch present on your car? In addition to the service manual, there are some better pictures, descriptions and service instructions in the training manualhttps://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/ClutchAndElectromaticClutch.pdf

Attach file:

jpg  (23.42 KB)
209_4dd915b4bbe82.jpg 494X388 px

Posted on: 2011/5/22 8:55
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

packard7
See User information
Thanks so much. I am missing the switch... I detailed the engine over the winter, and now I am having grounding problems. I was hoping this wire was my problem

The overdrive works intermittently, If I ground the switch at the dash it works all the time. If not it works sometimes. The car won't crank after it gets warm , and the negative cable gets hot when you hold the throttle in the starting position. As soon as the car cools it cranks fine. Also one of the turn signal indicator light comes on without the directional switch. And... the ammeter goes to the full pegged position. The generator is putting out 30 amps under load and 7.5v.

Is there a ground strap from the engine to the frame? I did not remove one and I don't see one in the wiring diagram?

Posted on: 2011/5/22 12:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Grounding the lock out switch means you're bypassing the kickdown switch and governor or depending on side grounded, even the lockout switch so I would concentrate the search for intermittent OD in the wiring and switches in that string. If you have an early loom with 2 separate parts connected with 6 plastic connectors between the loom piece going to OD and the main harness, those connectors were a source of intermittent problems and were eliminated in later cars. Otherwise, might look for a bad connection or dirty governor or kickdown switch. The lockout switch plunger can wear and possibly it is right on the narrow edge--connecting one time solidly and not the next.

What size cables from the battery to ground and solenoid. Most recommend at least a 0 ga for 6v and better yet would be next size larger. Aftermarket cables from the parts store just won't work if you have those. Also make sure the cable and bolt connection at generator bracket front bolt to engine where ground connects is clean & does not have any paint to impede connections.

Posted on: 2011/5/22 12:58
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

packard7
See User information
Thank you very much. I have had the cables for a long time and they aren't corroded. They are 0 gauge, but based on your comment I will buy some authentic ones from Kanter.

I cleaned the connection at the alternator and soldered new ends on some of the wires at the solenoid and the clutch control valves.

SO far today it has been starting every time. I would rather know what was wrong... now I am unsure if I have fixed the problem...

I have a gas mileage question.. I get about 7 mpg. The exhaust smells very rich. Is that common on the big 8?

Posted on: 2011/5/22 23:08
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Keith Woodall
See User information
Did you have any luck with your wire?I am working on a 46 super clipper overdrive trans and it will make you pull your hair out.You are not alone.

Posted on: 2011/5/22 23:22
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

packard7
See User information
Yes, 47packard identified the wire and I found the missing switch ( whats left of it). I cleaned up all the connections and replaced some wire ends. Now everything is working...The wiring is really something. When you read all the literature on this site it's very complex. With all mechanical switches I am amazed anything works...

Posted on: 2011/5/22 23:46
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Keith Woodall
See User information
Do you know why the chat line is not working?

Posted on: 2011/5/22 23:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Was just in the chat room... it's working.

Posted on: 2011/5/22 23:57
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved