Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 149

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: 1949, 2265 Deluxe Eight Club Sedan *TECHNICAL DATA*
Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
40 years ago it was 1971, 22 years after the 49 Packard was produced. I consider 1971 to be "recent" in the context of what we are discussing.

For sure Germany is not a Banana Republic, I've been there and think it is closer to a Bratwurst Republic.

On the subject of the 1903 vehicle, I did not intend to imply that a German made high quality vehicle would be exempt, I meant that I would think that the authorities would realize that a 1903 vehicle would not have had noise standards from the manufacturer. I was trying to put in in the realm of common sense.

I'm most interested in how this will be resolved, like to learn something new. The moral values of the noise output of a 60 year old car which in probability will hardly be driven somehow escapes me, but as I said I can still be educated.

Posted on: 2011/6/20 14:06
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

alexander
See User information
huuuuu....guys :) :) :)

buerocracy and common sense don't always go together.

they have their regulations and need to fill in something. it's not their fault.

so I don't blame it on the engineers in charge, but rather on the people, who have set these rules at some green table (mabye even in Brussels during European harmonisation).

So -in the worst case- I will have the car weighted, make a sound test and try, how fast it will go. Of course, that will cost, but what else, if I don't find such values from somebody else.

The tricky thing is though, that the same institution, who will do the German car papers, will also do those test and measuring procedures (and charge for that)................
????????

I'll keep you posted :)

in the meantime just enjoy the forms of the Packard 22nd series ;)

Attach file:

jpg  (31.30 KB)
3155_4dffac1e55a63.jpg 300X450 px

Posted on: 2011/6/20 15:03
Packard-enthusiast from Germany
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Alexander

It looks like the front end, rear end and all points in between will pass the tests. Should you have any sag or droop over the years, I'm sorry, but we cannot help.

Posted on: 2011/6/20 15:32
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

alexander
See User information
no manuals here for such ???? ;)

Posted on: 2011/6/20 15:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
40 years ago it was 1971, 22 years after the 49 Packard was produced. I consider 1971 to be "recent" in the context of what we are discussing...

The mentioned ABE (Vehicle Type Approval) is a certificate of compliance, issued for a vehicle type and based on manufacturer's data. If a vehicle type based on its manufacturer's data complies to the national regulations then this vehicle type gets a Vehicle Type Approval. The process of getting this general approval is detached from a specific car and its age is irrelevant too. If Alex would install a trombone instead of an exhaust nothing would change as long as the vehicle type has a vehicle type approval.

To get a license plate a specific car with Vehicle Type Approval has to conform to the manufacturer's data. That would be the suitable moment to have an exhaust pipe installed instead of a trombone.

Quote:
...On the subject of the 1903 vehicle, I did not intend to imply that a German made high quality vehicle would be exempt, I meant that I would think that the authorities would realize that a 1903 vehicle would not have had noise standards from the manufacturer. I was trying to put in in the realm of common sense...

If manufacturer data for a vehicle type are not available a car needs a single certificate of exemption. For that purpose it has to be measured to ensure that it corresponds to the national regulations. Its origin, build quality and age are irrelevant.

Quote:
...I'm most interested in how this will be resolved, like to learn something new. The moral values of the noise output of a 60 year old car which in probability will hardly be driven somehow escapes me, but as I said I can still be educated...

A car which in probability will hardly be driven doesn't need a registration. The inner sense for a car registration is to drive it.

Posted on: 2011/6/20 15:37
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Not to highjack the thread but all this reminds me of the time in the early 1980's I imported a 1966 Mustang convertible from Arizona into Canada. I was surprised when the Canada Customs officer began asking questions such as engine size in CC's, weight in Kgs. etc. I guessed well enough to satify him until he got to "Interior space in cubic metres?" I replied "It's a convertible..if I put the top down can I say infinite?"
He wasn't amused so I had to guess again.

Posted on: 2011/6/20 15:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...until he got to "Interior space in cubic metres?" I replied "It's a convertible..if I put the top down can I say infinite?"...

Posted on: 2011/6/20 16:06
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

alexander
See User information
[QUOTE]:
"The moral values of the noise output of a 60 year old car which in probability will hardly be driven somehow escapes me, but as I said I can still be educated."

OBJECTION, your honour:
The reason I bought it, was it's beauty and TO DRIVE IT !!!!

and.......having driven my Club Sedan (on private ground) already makes me look at this "sister" ;)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Packard-Convertible-1949-CONVERTIBLE-PACKARD-GUARANTEED-1-OWNER-W-DOCS-/140566825753?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item20ba6f8b19

Posted on: 2011/6/20 16:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Alex, kontaktiere gr??ere US-Car Importeure. Sofern Du die Daten eines jemals registrierten 49er Club Coupe in den H?nden h?ltst, bist Du aus dem Schneider.

Alex, try to get in contact with established US-car importers. All you need is the data of one single 49 club sedan which has been registered in Germany.

-->http://www.american-dream-cars.net/

-->http://www.uscars24.de/Deutsch/Index.html

Posted on: 2011/6/20 16:30
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

alexander
See User information
well, yes, one possibility, but....if a similar car had ever been regsitered in Germany, the T?V would have a data sheet, no ?

Posted on: 2011/6/20 16:33
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved