Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
204 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 204

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

"Hollywood" Packards from the 20s and 30s?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Highlander160
See User information
Just for fun, who has stories or pictures of what some of the celebs did to their early Packards? We already know the story of Cooper's Deusy racing Harpo's Mercedes, there was a couple special built 29 "speedster" type cars, but there had to be more. Rightfully so, we tend to focus on what was offered as standard models and coachwork. I'm not a minority in thinking Packard had few equals in engineering and quality and they catered to a discriminating clientele. Still, sometimes what the OEM offered wasn't enough. So, who's got what in stories and pics of some early Packard "Hollywood Hotrods"? This could be fun. I have a 29 640 with a 740 body fitted and it was delivered in San Bernadino. Could be an awesome start and I just can't shed myself of the idea. Thanks in advance and le's have some fun!

Posted on: 2011/8/5 15:21
 Top  Print   

Re: "Hollywood" Packards from the 20s and 30s?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Highlander, once we drove across Hollywood.

Posted on: 2011/8/5 19:08
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
In Portland,OR we have a 34 Packard super 8 supposedly been owned by Clark Garble. No documentation just word of mouth.

Posted on: 2011/8/6 22:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
Locally, a late dentist and Packard guy owned a '27 closed car that he clamed was owned by a Hollywood madame...again no documentation, just word of mouth. How can you prove something like that?

Posted on: 2011/8/7 7:04
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Highlander160
See User information
It seems the topic's getting off track a bit. I/we know several Hollywood stars and moguls had Packards. That's not the issue. I'm interested in modified Packards, cars that may not necessarily have been coachbuilt but worked over in minor ways to express their individuality or to boost performance. I have a vision of a late 20s to early 30s roadster with twin rear spares and no running boards. I'm thinking that with the advent of the Jesse Vincent speedster project and the subsequent 626 and 734 hot rods that perhaps some individuals wanted theirs "hopped up" or customized vs buying new. We've seen a few bad attempts from the postwar era, how about some that worked. Also, maybe it doesn't have to be a Packard. It's more a sense of style I'm looking for. Every time I walk out to my garag I want to start tearing into the roadster to do just that. The finished vision is a concours type car vs a marque-specific "judged" example. Taking one to OEM spec is easy. Taking one to a period custom from the early 30s, well that sounds like fun to me. Thanks again. I'm figuring this might take a while to sort out. I got time...

Posted on: 2011/8/8 9:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Quote:

tbirdman wrote:
In Portland,OR we have a 34 Packard super 8 supposedly been owned by Clark Garble. No documentation just word of mouth.

Interesting. Tom Moretti (died a few weeks ago) from Chicago area claimed that his car (Twelve) was Gable's. Is there documentation on the car from Oregon?

Posted on: 2011/8/8 10:38
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved