Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
159 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 155

John Sauser, Stefanie, bkazmer, William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: AACA Packard DF debacle starting
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Satirical references are meant to be just that, and hopefully humourous.

Most people have seen the Seinfeld episode featuring the "Soup Nazi" and in that connotation, as in this one, use of a "Nazi" is a means of conveying a meaning and nothing more.

It's often been said that satire is the lowest form of wit. If that's a truism, it should be beneath our dignity to even contemplate giving credence to anything other than it's intended meaning.

Posted on: 2008/6/23 5:56
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
I support Eric and his posting of the pictures concerning the AACA moderators, ie Steve M and Peter G. I have no time today to tell about how Peter G. made a private phone conversation public in AACA forum.

John F. Shulman

Posted on: 2008/6/23 6:52
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Some of us have been online with Packards for nearly ten years and have seen a lot that colors our opinions so strongly.

One website not only won't let you state a complaint about a vendor, but you can't even recommend a vendor (that is, unless they are a paying advertiser) without getting a nastygram from their control freak webmaster. Thankfully, you'll find none of that crap here at P'Info.

However, while I technically accept the TOS at the AACA Forums, I rarely post there anymore because of the heavy-handed moderation that goes on in that site. Granted some things could get out of hand down in "The Basement" (the former Misc. Chat section) at times, but since that Forum was eliminated by the powers that be, moderation got out of hand in the marque-specific forums.

The low point for the Packard DF came in late 2006. John hinted at one of several episodes that bordered on an abuse of power, but I'll spare you the details. Suffice it to say that the AACA's handling of the situation and management of their Forum software only set the stage for the succesful relaunch of a Forum here at P'Info.

For anyone who took offense at the satirical reference to any dictator, I wonder how you would have felt if you saw how the admins at the AACA site deleted thread after thread that remembered Pearl Harbor Day and WWII in the BCA General Forum last December. Though the posts have all since been deleted, several particpants of that Forum made some much worse comments about the admins, publicly, there.

My point is that if other sites and clubs were so good for the hobby, we wouldn't be here today building this one.

Posted on: 2008/6/23 10:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Dear All,

I understand that many folks are quite peeved at the AACA moderators. It is an AACA operation, and AACA can set whatever rules they deem appropriate. And their moderators must abide by the rules set forth by the AACA. This does not make them evil.

Just as this site is free, so is theirs. They have chosen to pursue compensation from advertisers, and this certainly effects their policies. This site does not receive compensation from advertisers, and so it's policies are different. This makes for diversity in operations and competition for users, both good things.

I stand by my earlier, and apparently minority, opinion (and Stalin is no better). Satire is fine, but I am arguing that using mass murders to satirize the approach of moderators for an antique car forum is really more than a bit over the top. Using Ashcroft or Agnew I could see, as the complaint is one of censorship.

Best Regards,

Tom

Posted on: 2008/6/23 17:50
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Tom,

I understand your point, and I'll even agree with you that the comparison is extreme.

However, I'm a firm believer that power corrupts, and my experience with the administration of the AACA Forums supports that belief. It has often gone beyond "playing by the rules". I could cite plenty of evidence publicly to support that, but will spare the viewers from that debate.

Yet, you might be surprised to know that my first trip to Hershey, over 30 years ago, inspired me to restore and preserve cars, but the more I got to know about the AACA as an organization, the less I liked. Years later, their Forum appeared to offer a great way for owners to get together online, but its administration too often stifles the exchange of ideas that are beneficial to the hobby. Of course it's thier site, and the admins can run it any way they want - right into the ground, for all I care.

Now, Packard enthusiasts have the best of all possible worlds right here at PackardInfo, and there's still more to come!

Respectfully,

Posted on: 2008/6/23 18:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Since my previous two analogies are met with criticism, perhaps this one is more suiting:

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2008/6/23 20:04
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

dongle
See User information
I stand with Tom. The pictures and references are in extremly poor taste. It is insulting not only to the AACA forum admin (whether or not you like them or agree with them) and to us the viewers of this sewage.

This is a really tired topic perpetuated by a few. The only ones that REALLY care are those few.

Quite frankly, 'cause I'm sick and tired of this, these few need to take a hard look in the mirror. I have been around for many years and in many packard forums (long before the migration to the AACA sponsored one and long before many of the readers of this post). It's a little more than coincidence that these forums - no matter who hosted them - always seem to come full circle and degrade to failure.

When is the light going to come on?

Posted on: 2008/6/23 20:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Since I've never been one known for good taste, I guess it suits me just fine.

As for the pictures and words I have put on this thread, they are nothing more than a satrical OPINION, and should be taken as such. If the tree-hugging hippie Liberals take offence to it, then so be it. Crying to momma about everything that offends you is the equivalent of a 1 year old crying about spilled milk. I have no intention of apologizing for said offences, and if people cannot handle a joke in a satrical manner, I suggest they either grow up, don't look at the thread, or just move on. Being upset because I posted a picture of a dictator that's long dead, and comparing the picture to the practices of a certain forum moderator, shows no ability to discern a joke from a accusation. The moderators of said site have shown repeatedly NO tolerance for anything that isn't along their line of thinking, which is their right, as it's their site. I just choose to boycott said site from any contributions that I would make to further Packards and automobiles of all kinds. Their loss, too bad. There's quite a few on here who have opposition to dictatorial practices, myself included. So, instead of taking offence to what I have written, try to look at things from both sides of the issue before you get upset at what people say. Trying on other people's shoes usually will make a person understand. As an ending, Ask RickL about the practices of said site, and the loss that he suffered when the moderators played Hiroshima on his thread about his car. It was the online equivalent of the Bombing of Dresden.

Posted on: 2008/6/23 20:32
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

dongle
See User information
I won't dignify the personal sniping above.

I wrote that last diatribe with the thought of stating my bit and leaving it at that. Before I get flamed any more here, understand I have absolutely no connection to ANY club or oganization or business or whatever.

However, I will ask a couple of simple questions - and you know what, consider it an opportunity for quiet introspection rather than an invitation to an open pi**ing match through this forum.

People didn't like the rules (again), they picked up their bat and ball and went home. So be it, I don't care.

Why then keep returning for the simple purpose of stirring the pot?

Why then continue to flame that group for having rules for you, an invited guest?

This isn't a contest.

Posted on: 2008/6/23 21:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
The great thing about this country is that we all have the right to say what we believe and we also have the right to ignore things that people say we don't agree with. That being said that being said if I disagree with something some one says I just ignore it they have the right to say it and I have the right to ignore it. Why get all bent out of shape over what some one posts its a free country.Free for them to post free for you to ignore if you disagree.I may not agree with what you say but I agree with your right to say it or print it. Thats what freedom is both sides have rights.

Posted on: 2008/6/23 21:29
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved