Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
71 user(s) are online (47 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 71

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Removing wheel cylinders
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
Hello,

As I'm going to replace the wheel cylinders on my Clipper 1956, I'm wondering if CRC 5-56 is avisable to use when removing the brake line fittings from the cylinders?

Anybody knows?

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Posted on: 2011/9/3 15:22
 Top  Print   

Re: Removing wheel cylinders
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Whatever penetrating oil you like best should be fine.

The biggest problem I have had is that the line fitting becomes rust-bound to the steel tubing. The end of the line often gets twisted off, but may survive with a lot of patience. If not, the line probably needed to be replaced, anyway. It's not that difficult to make a new one.

Just be sure to wash the penetrant off all parts with a solvent after you get everything apart.

Posted on: 2011/9/3 15:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
Thanks for your promte answer.

Tom

Posted on: 2011/9/3 16:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
{Put pen. oil on tubing nut, let it sit. Try to jsut crack tubiong nut free of cylinder. Teh remove bolts sucuring cyl to back plate. Pull cyl away from back plate a bit and put wrench on nut again on outside of back plate. Then turn cyl with hand in the undo direction. Cyo will come off nut without turning nut on line. No chance of damaging line. Then you can work nut loose from line

Posted on: 2011/9/3 19:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
A good thing to have in your tool box is a set of tubing wrenches. They resemble an box-end wrench with a segement cut out to slip over the tubing. This wrench design gives more contact surface than an open-end wrench and is good to have for breaking loose stubborn tubing nuts.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2011/9/3 21:14
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
Thanks.

Tom

Posted on: 2011/9/4 3:03
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved