Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
176 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 174

Tobs, 37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 1929 626 Rumble seat coupe
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I was suspect of the 626 designation as well, but early cars are not my area of expertise. Lets start with the basics, please advise VIN number and/or engine number and a simple wheelbase measurement and we'll go from there...this will determine series and important information such as whether the engine is correct or not.

Posted on: 2011/9/13 11:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tfee
See User information
Nice ride. Did you shoot any pics of the engine, underside and interior?

Posted on: 2011/9/13 11:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
I'm really clueless on where to start as a fair offering price. Any ideas are appreciated as you guys know more than I do.

Posted on: 2011/9/13 20:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
What's the asking price? That's the first place to start.

Posted on: 2011/9/13 21:09
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
The owner just says make offer.

Posted on: 2011/9/14 7:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I'm following this thread because you seem genuinely interested in the car, and the car seems like a super nice example. This website has the most active and knowledgeable group of Packard guys on the internet, so keep posting further details and the chatter will follow.

To put a price on it, I would want to know, as specifically as possible, when the restoration was done, how extensive and how many miles (more likely how much maintenance) since then. Fact is, many of these prewar cars are restored, then hardly driven, which is more damaging than one might think. If a car is not driven regularly, mechanical systems tend to deteriorate, particularly fuel systems. Now, this might not matter if you are buying this for a garage decoration, but if you are considering using such a nice car for its intended purpose, I would think the mechanical history and condition would be where I would probe. Take a close look at the tires too - there may be some indication of age or you can call the manufacturer and learn via a serial number code for sure. Paint/Interior are obvious. Then drive the car. If this is your first antique car, you need to get in tune with antique expectations, which are not the same as in your Lexus or Range Rover or...

I will let others more in tune with this model to guesstimate value, other than to say it appears to be a lovely car and is desirable within its era due to its being a 640/645 (upper end model) and its being a rumbleseat coupe. Bear in mind Kids LOVE the rumbleseat - adults generally not other than for a spin around memory lane.

Finally, there are any number of "appraisers" out there who can evaluate the car's condition and look to price guides for a suggested value, however, unless the appraiser is well versed in the car's history and condition along with recent actual sales, I would consider that value only for insurance purposes. The market for prewar cars is extremely soft, there just isn't real demand for expensive, slow moving toys any more. Sad but true. My personal suggestion would be to contact the local region of The Packard Club or Packards International (yes, there are two national Packard Clubs...) and try to have a knowledgeable member look at the car With you. Heck, the car might even be "well known" and it might just be a matter of asking around to learn its history. History is extremely important as noted - granted this car is not painted "resale red", but with one picture, we cannot even begin to ask all the questions or take a stab at a market value.

More information please...

Posted on: 2011/9/14 7:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
West is usually right. If so, this may be the link to the correct model, there are other models listed for 1929. So start with NADA to get a range.

http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/1929/Packard/6-40-Custom/2-Door-Coupe-2-To-4-Passenger/Values

The low is usually too low and the high too high, but at least you get an idea for insurance purposes. You have to start somewhere if no one wants to hazard a guess. And while the detailed condition and history of a car like this is good to know, assume you'll want to go though it anyway. Do you like it? What is it worth to you? Can you buy it for that?

Attach file:

jpg  (27.55 KB)
1067_4e70ace736e46.jpg 800X282 px

Posted on: 2011/9/14 8:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Gulp! those numbers look way high to me....don't bother with any appraiser thats gonna simply look at 3 price guides and give you an average....

Posted on: 2011/9/14 9:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
"Make an offer." In other words, it's not for sale. It's tough to buy something "right" when the "seller" doesn't have a price on it already. I usually walk away.

Flackmaster is exactly right. It's extremely important to know when the engine was overhauled, by whome, and what was done. If that is not known, you may as well deduct $10 grand right off the top. Have you driven it?

We know nothing of its condition. How long ago was it restored. How well? How indepth? Upholstery materials correct? The rumble seat appears to have been done in naugahyde.

The "values" that Ken posted don't tell us very much. Unless I'm mistaken, the "low" value represents a class 3- car, and the high value represents a class 2+ car. My opinion is that the top should be going down at those prices.

My opinion as to the value of the above pictured car: $30,000 would not be an unfair offer, based on what I see and what I don't know. It looks to be a solid class 3 car, possibly a little better. (Never buy a car based on a photo)

Posted on: 2011/9/14 9:55
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
I'm going to talk to the owner again tonight and try to set up a time to go see & drive the car. It's closer to me than I thought. It was restored in the 80s I think, I'll have to go through my e-mails again to make sure but I think that's right.

Posted on: 2011/9/14 12:34
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved