Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
204 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 204

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 »

Re: Checking transmission fluid
Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Am I missing something here?? Why not just have the mechanic who greases the car check the fluid like they did in the 50's?? If you do your own grease jobs/maintenance at home, check it from underneath and get a proper fill pump, what's wrong with that??

As to the "danger" of a trans running out of fluid and ruining it, if the leak is that bad the trans is shot anyway. REar seals do not leak much, front seals do. If the front seal is shot then usually the bellhousing bushing is shot also.....and that's not all.

Agreed if you are trying to limp home and have to put a quart in every 30 miles a filler tube would be handy, but a flatbed is the real answer.

I have owned 50-54 Non-GS Ultramatics since 1963 and never had need for a filler/dipstick, kind of late in life to start needing one on each car. Granted I hardly drive them any more.

Posted on: 2011/9/20 22:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
Am I missing something here??

Yes, the fact that several owners of 1950-54 Packards, equipped with the original Ultramatic, who perform some of their own maintenance have simply asked for an alternative to going under-car to check and add transmission fluid - similar to what Gear Start, Twin Ultramatic, and many other vehicles offered in later years.

Transmission leaks aside, what's wrong with someone trying to accomodate their request?

Posted on: 2011/9/21 10:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
If it's such a terrible and useless idea, why did packard find it a necessary addition for later transmissions?

Also, kanter's rebuild kit for the ultramatic has bushings in it that may require machining of the transmission to fit.

If the way the transmission was designed was perfect, why did i need to update my transmission to take the new bushings?

Could it be because the ultramatic was a work in progress it's whole life, and those of us with earlier models would like some of the features that the later models enjoyed? The features that Packard deemed necessary for a reliable and serviceable transmission?

Also, my tranny hasn't NEEDED fluid since the rebuild, but i've needed to check it because I NEED peace of mind that all is well, and i want that peace of mind without putting the car up on stands.

Posted on: 2011/9/21 10:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It's not that you need to update your transmission to take new bushings, it's that the bushings wear and the clearances (leakage at bushings) establishes the hydraulic pressures, so bushing and/or shaft wear = pressure loss = ultimate transmission failure. A rebuild with soft parts only (linings, gaskets, etc) without paying attention to bushings & shaft wear is just an exercise in wasting time & money.

I'm not aware of any machining required to fit new bushings, but Ross should be able to offer definitive comment. It is possible, especially as concerns the input shaft, that if the shaft is worn or scored, simply replacing the bushing won't reestablish the needed pressures and certainly won't do much for the life of the new bushing either. Solution is a "rebuilt" shaft, plated up and ground back to standard dimensions. I know Ross has done this many times.

As far as the under-floorboard dipstick, I can find myself sort of agreeing with Fred. The car requires a chassis grease job every 1000 miles so it's going to most likely be on a lift anyway to grease, check differential oil, check brake lines, universals, etc. So since it's on the lift that often, checking the Ultramatic shouldn't be any real additional burden. And if it leaks so profusely that it can't go 1000 miles without needing fluid, that really should be attended to promptly. Certainly adding the underhood dipstick was an improvement and consistent with what other manufacturers were doing but when you consider the under-floor filler and dipstick you should also consider the date of the engineering and the engineering practice at the time.

Was the Ultramatic a work-in-progress? Name an automatic transmission that wasn't constantly upgraded and changed.

Posted on: 2011/9/21 10:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
To Cortcomp,

In this forum discussing checking trans fluid why do you bring up trans bushings?? Is it to help checking fluid level or just to heap scorn on Kanter?? (me) THERE ARE OTHERS WHO SELL BUSHINGS, WHY NO MENTION OF HAVING TO MACHINE THE TRANS TO ACCEPT THEIR BUSHINGS?? ( I already know the answer) How about telling everyone that our head gaskets blow out on '54 aluminum heads (if you don't surface them and make them flat) or other prejudicial stuff

As I stated in another forum, the first several hundred or so EL-Traumatics had some NON-REPLACEABLE bushings, Packard designed some hard parts with thin bronze bushings and the entire part had to be replaced if the bushings were worn. Of the thousands of Ultramatic kits we have sold in 40+ years I recall 3 customers who encountered the problem. It is Packard Motor Car Co that created that problem, not Kanter Auto. To post as you did reflects poorly on Kanter while the problem was created by Packard. I think you should set the record straight and perhaps thank Kanter for all the diligent attention to details which help keep Packards on the road. For example, I MENTIONED THIS PROBLEM ON THIS FORUM SO OWNERS WOULD BE AWARE OF PACKARD'S CHANGE IN DESIGN TO MAKE REPAIRS LESS COSTLY AND HOW TO OVERCOME IT.

It is quite simple to machine the hole larger. While you're at it why don't you mention that the oversize pistons we supply require that the block be bored!!!!! Imagine our stupidity and carelessness!!!

If I sound annoyed,you're right. Some people would rather throw stones than use those stones to build something strong and useful.

Owen_Dyneto, Thanks, you understand

Posted on: 2011/9/21 19:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
fred -

Quote:
In this forum discussing checking trans fluid why do you bring up trans bushings??

Seems to me that cortcomp is asking, albeit sarcasticly, why it's acceptable to update the Ultramatic for some design changes made in later production, but not aomething like a dipstick as used in later years.

Quote:
If I sound annoyed,you're right.

If you're annoyed, then stop telling people, ad nauseum, something that they already know - to go under-car or take it to a mechanic - when they're looking for an alternative.

Be grateful that these people don't throw the Ultramatic out in favor of a TorqueFlite or 700R4 or make some half-fast rat-rod out of their cars.

Posted on: 2011/9/21 19:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Stick shift trans do not have dip sticks and we crawl under the car to check the fluid in those trans. But if ez enuf i would install a dip stick too.

In some cases where leakage is a problem but trans operates good then the dip stick is very convenient. Just because something is a leaker doesn't mean it should be rebuilt. I've had leakers run 50K ++ miles. Rebuild a trans because of a leak??? Not prudent.

Posted on: 2011/9/21 19:51
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
BH

I try to bring reason to discussions in many areas of my life. In my OPINION, many people get scared about things that they need not. For example non-zinc oils- we sell engine parts for all makes and have seen no skyrocketing of bearing sales (wish we did). In my OPINION this is a non-problem. Non-leaded gas, when it was mandated there was a rush to have hardened valve seats installed and stainless valves to prevent inevitable catastrophies----that never happened. Amoco sold non-lead for years and engines did just fine.
Bendix Treadle Vac- Maintain the system well, have it rebuilt by a competent rebuilder etc etc

Fluid level in 50-54 for resaons explained

I have 51 years experience and yes I can be wrong. When I ma, I set the record straight. What I' trying to do is sepatate the REAL problems from the IMAGINED ones.

FRAM/SCAM filters. In my opinion after examining much evidence and internet posts, there is no problem. Just a bunch of misguided individuals who get their jollies trying to tear down the leader in filters, FRAM, and another bunch of brainless "me to's" .

Now perhaps we can all try to solve some real problem or source a scarce part.

"It is the person with the unpopular , controvertial view who persists that often causes progress." A paraphrase of a famous quote, forgot who????

Posted on: 2011/9/21 19:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
quote:
"Bendix Treadle Vac- Maintain the system well, have it rebuilt by a competent rebuilder etc etc".

NAME a "competent BTV rebuilder" !!! NAme and address.

Posted on: 2011/9/21 20:04
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
quote:
"Bendix Treadle Vac- Maintain the system well, have it rebuilt by a competent rebuilder etc etc"

Specify maintenance schedule IN TERMS OF MILES AND TIME for rebuilds and 'draining and flushing' of the brake fluid and or any other maintence procedures.

AND where is such maintenance procedure /schedule documented by PMCC??? There is no such PMCC documentation. NOT in the service manual. Not in the owners manual.

Posted on: 2011/9/21 20:08
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved