Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
207 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 206

Jim in Boone, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Two National Packard Clubs
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

packick
See User information
Maybe this topic has been discussed ad-naseum in the forum before, and maybe it is a question that is taboo to ask, but does anyone know the REAL reason why there are 2 national Packard clubs (Packard Automobile Classics and Packards International)?

I have heard rumors as to why, but what is the root-cause reason? Is it because of a dispute between a few members some 50 years ago? If so, isn't it time to bury the hatchet and merge the 2 clubs? Or is that a bad idea?

A lot of Packard owners are in both clubs. I would bet that if you surveyed members of both clubs most would say that one national club would be best for the marque. I am curious as to what the forum members think?

Posted on: 2011/10/4 8:58
 Top  Print   

Re: Two National Packard Clubs
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The real reason(s) are buried in the past (and probably best left there) and probably much distorted by today's recollections and retelling of them. Placing aside for the moment the question of whether or not a single club is to be desired, I'd suggest that another generation has to pass before peaceful coexistence and subsequent friendly relations might come to pass.

There was an attempt at a one-time reconciliation for the 100th Anniversary meet in Ohio; it didn't come to pass and if that wasn't a good enough reason, hard to know what would have been.

Personally, I think there is room for two clubs especially when they both take different approaches to the hobby and also each has their own areas of geographic influence.

Posted on: 2011/10/4 9:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Does one or both clubs require national membership before regional membership is approved???

Posted on: 2011/10/4 15:11
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...I think there is room for two clubs especially when they both take different approaches to the hobby...

Dave, thanks for setting gap markers through the mine field. What are the different approaches?

Posted on: 2011/10/4 16:01
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Responding to PackardV8, PAC is no different than other national clubs like AACA, CCCA, VMCCA, HCCA, etc. in that, to be a member of a region you must first be a member of the national. I haven't been a member of of PI for a while and thus can't speak for them now but would be surprised if their policy were any different.

Posted on: 2011/10/4 17:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Packard's International is the same; one must belong to both regional and national clubs to be a member.

Posted on: 2011/10/4 22:04
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Well with PI you can belong to just the National, but you can't belong to the Regional without also belonging to National.

Posted on: 2011/10/4 22:43
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
I don't care what caused the rift but have observed it close up a few times over many years and this year observed a serious attempt at a senior level by one club to reconcile with the other but the attempt was rebuffed. When you are in company with members of both it detracts from the enjoyment of our hobby
My view is the whole situation is ridiculous, they are clubs, not corporations or political parties there should be no competition/rivalry or whatever nonsense is fixed in the minds of the perpetrators. Two clubs is fine but why the friction? How much more common interest could there be?
I guess it will take another generation to resolve but if I could I would like to bang some heads together! Its just plain BS in my view.

Posted on: 2011/10/4 23:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
For many groups/organizations there must be something to contrast to in order to make their club "better" than another. Nothing is more unifying than finding an "enemy" of sorts.

Its the same with the Thunderbird club. 2 international clubs, that don't get along because of a long time grudge that most members don't even know about. One club caters to the East coast, the other more internationally.

It's the old "Oh yeah, well I'll take my ball and start my OWN team!!!" mentality.

Because even within the clubs there are divisions between Original cars vs modified, PreWar vs Post War, Senior vs. Junior models.

That's why I dropped all clubs. I don't need the drama.

Posted on: 2011/10/4 23:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
I would like to point out that there have been several times where the local regions of the National Clubs have joined for joint tours.

Posted on: 2011/10/4 23:53
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved