Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
234 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 234

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

1932 Packard question
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

James Butcher
See User information
I have looked at two 1932 Packard Twin Six brochure and the chassis diagram between them seem different? One has two cross bars angled out in the middle while the other has a regular X frame similar to the Light 8.

Were there two different frames for the 9th series 12-cylinder cars?

And... the frame is very similar to a 1926 Horch 303 frame while the other looks like their 1930 type 400 frame. Was the first style like the attached 1926 Horch photo considered an X frame by Packard? Horch doesn't consider their's an X.

The other style frame is the last picture.

Any diagrams of these?

Thanks!
Eric

Attach file:

jpg  (62.94 KB)
2957_4e93376ff39ac.jpg 1176X515 px

jpg  (39.50 KB)
2957_4e9338ae5ce15.jpg 720X549 px

jpg  (35.15 KB)
2957_4e933942ad5e9.jpg 720X477 px

Posted on: 2011/10/10 13:23
 Top  Print   

Re: 1932 Packard question
Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
I believe the Deluxe 8 and the Twin Six share the same chassis.

Posted on: 2011/10/10 20:59
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

James Butcher
See User information
What is so odd is that you can clearly see the two distinctly different chassis designs in the above pictures but both came from two different "A Pre-View of the New Packard Twin-Six" brochure and the captions are identical. Possible they were going to use the other design at one point but decided to use it on the 8 cylinders instead hence possible artwork change? But then again, I am not sure and hoping someone with knowledge can answer the puzzle.

Anyone with diagrams of the 1932 model - even lube chart diagram? Thanks.

Eric

Posted on: 2011/10/11 6:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Friends

One of the chassis is probably from a prototype before the design was finalized. Somebody grabbed a negstive without looking at it closely.

There were numerous changes made. The Twin Six was originally going to be a smaller displacement front wheel drive car to compete with the Series 40 Buick. The engine was salvaged, turned around, and enlarged when they couldn't get the front wheel drive transmission to stay in one piece. Frames weren't shared with Super Eights until later

PMCC was also under market pressure on the top end from the numerous makers with 12 and 16 cylinder engines.

Regards

John Harley

Posted on: 2011/10/11 6:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
What JHH says is correct but I don't believe that's the explanation as both of the pictures pretty clearly show a rear-wheel drive chassis. There were of course two different Twin Six frames in 1932, for the two different wheelbases (142 and 147 inches), perhaps that's the explanation?

Posted on: 2011/10/11 8:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

JHH wrote:
Friends

One of the chassis is probably from a prototype before the design was finalized. Somebody grabbed a negstive without looking at it closely.

There were numerous changes made. The Twin Six was originally going to be a smaller displacement front wheel drive car to compete with the Series 40 Buick. The engine was salvaged, turned around, and enlarged when they couldn't get the front wheel drive transmission to stay in one piece. Frames weren't shared with Super Eights until later

PMCC was also under market pressure on the top end from the numerous makers with 12 and 16 cylinder engines.

Regards

John Harley

John, your above statement got me to thinking: How was the flywheel and clutch situated to be used in the Prototype's front wheel drive? From the photo it looks like the engine is in a conventionally oriented position. You really got me wondering. Thanks.

(o[]o)

Attach file:

jpg  (106.59 KB)
565_4e9468a81bcb9.jpg 1280X853 px

Posted on: 2011/10/11 11:03
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

James Butcher
See User information
True, I have seen the 'ol switcheroo in different places. I can recall right off the frame dimension chart for the 1938-1939 Graham in our Chilton's Body-Frame book being completely different that the production car design.

Haven't seen anything on a front wheel drive Packard but do find a patent registered (submitted in 1934) for a rear engine car.

Maybe someone will find me some 1932 diagrams of some sort for the actual 1932? Thanks!

Posted on: 2011/10/11 15:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

Huffstutler wrote:
True, I have seen the 'ol switcheroo in different places. I can recall right off the frame dimension chart for the 1938-1939 Graham in our Chilton's Body-Frame book being completely different that the production car design.

Haven't seen anything on a front wheel drive Packard but do find a patent registered (submitted in 1934) for a rear engine car.

Maybe someone will find me some 1932 diagrams of some sort for the actual 1932? Thanks!

The photo that appears above is of the engine compartment of the Prototype front wheel drive Packard. I have more photos that I took at Pebble Beach in 2008. If you would like to see them PM me. Regards.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2011/10/11 17:04
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

James Butcher
See User information
Thanks John, I stand corrected

It is a 1931 prototype and found the pictures online.

For those unfamiliar with the way these early front wheel drive engines sat, and from what I read the concept came from the Cord L-29...the engines basically sit backwards. The transmission is in front but there is no long neck since there isn't a driveshaft so the transfer case is more compact. The fan still sits towards the radiator though.

Another question...

The chassis for the 1932 Twin Six, how many years was it used? Only 1932 or also in 1933? Seems the 1934 Twelve used a different frame similar to the Eight's? Any clarification on that?

Thanks!
Eric

Posted on: 2011/10/11 18:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It shouldn't come as any surprise that the Cord L-29 and the Twin Six FWD prototype had engineering similarities; the Packard effort benefited from the L-29 experiences and both were primarily the work product of C. W. Van Ranst and Tommy Milton who were taken on as consultants by Packard. The story goes that they were paid $10,o00 for the Twin Six design work.

Posted on: 2011/10/11 19:28
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved