Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
134 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 132

Scott, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Looking at a 1951 Packard 400
Just popping in
Just popping in

Younggun
See User information
Going to look at one this afternoon or tommorow.

What should I look at in specific on these cars?

Thanks guys!

EDIT: Car may be a 300

Posted on: 2011/10/25 14:40
 Top  Print   

Re: Looking at a 1951 Packard 400
Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
If Ultramatic needs work, I'd assume $2k to have it sent to a quality rebuilder. Yes, it might be less, but...

Plating. Wool interior. No issues with the rest of the mechanics unless a total mess.

Posted on: 2011/10/25 15:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Younggun,
to PackardInfo.

Concerning your question, besides the the mechanicals and other things already mentioned, rust in floors, trunk, dog legs and rocker panels are areas you should particularly take note of.

If you do purchase this Packard I invite you to include it in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo.

Posted on: 2011/10/25 15:45
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

oregonstan
See User information
Take a look at the body number on the inside of the drivers door 2472 for the 300 2452 for the 400. Tail lights on the 300 and 400 is the same.
The others covered most of it regarding rust I have a 300 and it does have it's share of rust. The more complete the better otherwise you will be be paying a bunch for all the missing items. Also to look at the wiring for poorly repaired wires. Also depending if you want to keep it original with the 6 volt system.
It would help to know if it was the proper engine too looking at the manifold for the 327 on it as well as serial number on the block itself on the drivers side closest to the firewall. For some reason mine doesn't have anything on that plate but there is a number listing for what it should be. The 300 has a 5 main 327 and the 400 has the 9 main 327.
There's a lot to look at and it depends on what you are willing to pay and if you want to resale then the less repairs the better. If you are going to fix it up how much skill you have to take care of the repairs. I think I might be rambling too much so with out knowing anything else. If you like it and you feel it is a good price pick it up. I'm enjoying mine but it is also a long term restoration hobby.

Posted on: 2011/10/26 23:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
the important thing is the body and pans ,
everything else is replacable
/[see if she smokes ,that could be rings if its black ,or head gasket if its steamy ,engine rebuilds in thase old straight 8's are 2-3 k and the parts kit is 2k \
whats the milage ? 70-80k ? your looking at a set of front end parts
original wires? there cloth and probable vaporising if original that means shorts and wiring mysteries
korea war chrome ? they left out the nickle coat so the bumpers and grill will be pitted ,thats 500/bumper that yo have to think about
has someone alreAdy done some of the resto thats like free money that usually isnt recouped at a sale
most important is if the car appeals to your aesthetic

Posted on: 2011/11/3 0:20
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved