Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
123 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 123

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Packard Used Car values
Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Came across this ad on another Auto related site.

It is a Mercury-Comet Dealer Ad from 1962.

The used car section has a '56 Packard listed for $595.

This car is 6 years old at this time. Is this a good price for a car that old?

Attach file:

jpg  (90.36 KB)
633_4ecaa9c8421e0.jpg 500X979 px

Posted on: 2011/11/21 14:43
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard Used Car values
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
dang i shoulda gone here....i got screwed..i paid 1000. lol j/k

i do notice that it is the cheapest car in the ad.

Posted on: 2011/11/21 15:00
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
dang i shoulda gone here....i got screwed..i paid 1000. lol j/k

You got screwed twice. I'll bet the one in the ad could be driven off the lot. Packards were not highly thought of in 62 but am surprised the English Fords and Vauxhall beat them out.

Posted on: 2011/11/21 15:11
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
True, it is the cheapest car in the ad.

I am kind of torn. If I were alive in 1962, would I buy a used car that basically had no dealer support because they went out of business?

I would probably not.

Posted on: 2011/11/21 15:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
My father had the same thoughts. In 60-61 I wanted to trade the 51 Packard in on a 56 that was on the Chevy lot in the worst way. I can't begin to count the ways he said NO--mostly because the dealers were gone. I don't remember seeing English Fords or Vauxhalls unless they were Americanized & sold under a different name.

In the small town I came from in that time frame, foreign cars in the high school parking lot consisted of several VW bugs, a Nash Metropolitan, an Opel station wagon which I think was sold by the Buick dealer and a Renault Dauphine. Nothing else foreign I remember in town except a doctor that drove a Triumph roadster and a lady with a Jag -- I think it was an XK120. The Metro was the most fun--8 teenagers could squeeze in but don't ask how. The kid that drove his grandparents Renault didn't get many riders because all too frequently, the passengers had to get out and help push or the car was sitting empty on the side of the road. I don't know if they ever did figure out why that car was so temperamental but he and it moved out of town our senior year.

Posted on: 2011/11/21 15:39
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
In 1961, my Dad bought a 55 Clipper Super off a used car lot for $374. It definitely was the cheapest "recent" used car there.

Craig

Posted on: 2011/11/21 16:16
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Becoming an ophan-brand really eroded values. In 1967 I bought my low-mileage creme-puff 1954 Patrician from a Buick dealer for $65.

Posted on: 2011/11/21 17:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
In 1962 I bought a good 56 400 for $150.00. It had a problem with the PB tranny. The guy gave me a 56 shop manual with it. I fixed the trans about a week later and drove it for four years until some woman tore up the whole passenger side with her 57 chevy. I really came to appreciate that car in the four years I drove it. That's the reason I purchased another 56 400 in 1972. Never looked back.

Posted on: 2011/11/21 17:36
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

vicpick58
See User information
I bought my first Packard the summer of 1975, I was between my junior and senior year of high school.

It was a 1955 Clipper constellation I paid $200.00 for it. I had to tow it home on a chain behind my dad's pick-up because it had not run in a few years and the owner had lost the keys.

I had it running before noon the next day,(a Saturday) and drove it to work on Monday. I loved that car, but it ended up having the low oil pressure problem.

A funny thing at the time, I decided to drop the pan and look at the oil pump and crank bearings, so I went to the local Napa auto parts store and asked for a pan gasket. The guy went into the back and came out with a whole engine gasket kit for a V8 Packard, blew the dust off it and handed it to me. He only charged me a few bucks for it, said it had been there for years. I only used the pan gasket, but had the whole kit including head gaskets. Wish I could remember what ever happend to the rest of those gaskets,I must have given them away when I sold the car.

Posted on: 2011/11/21 20:48
Former owner of: 1955 Clipper Constellation
1956 400
1956 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day all. Sydney, Australia, in 1967 at 18 years of age, I invested in my second Packard and was the proud owner of a low mileage 1952 packard 200 for which I paid $A500. In 1968, in melbourne, I sheared the (would you believe bonded) rear brake shoes during a panic stop and was directed to a wrecking yard and purchased a set of shoes for $A10. It struck me twenty years later that there were two rows ( perhaps 30 vehs) of 55-56 Packard "trade-ins", all Clipper, Custom, etc models. I suspect no actual Packard Senior Models as these were not available in RHD in 55-56. They were all V8's except for a few 51--54 models, from one of which I was directed to get the rear shoes. O-D is very correct that orphan makes are very hard to move .....until they realise that they are good cars, easily maintainable and good fun! Best regards peter toet

Posted on: 2011/11/22 5:14
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved