Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
185 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 184

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13) 14 15 16 ... 35 »

Re: packards in tv and movies
Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
A couple of different Packards in After the Thin Man used by Nick Charles. Chauffeur driving Nick and Nora Charles in back seat waving hello to all the street folks. Another shot of another Packard along left front showing hood and arrow.

Posted on: 2011/12/28 0:18
Stephen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

J.R. Buzzell
See User information
The movie was actually produced in 1989 and featured Jessica Tandy as Miss Daisy and Morgan Freeman as Hoke, along with Dan Aykroyd as Miss Daisy's son. In the very beginning of the movie, Miss Daisy backs a 1946-1947 Chrysler into her neighbor's yard and her son decides that she should not be driving anymore and gets her a chauffeur, Hoke. In the original script for the movie, however, Miss Daisy was supposed to total a brand new Packard instead of the Chrysler, but the car would've cost too much for the actual production so they went with a Chrysler instead.

Posted on: 2011/12/28 15:04
J.R. Buzzell

1949 23rd Series Deluxe Eight Touring Sedan
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/index.php?Action=view&ID=867
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
J.R., you're dead right! I just brought to your attention that the designer of this Miss Daisy logo obviously confused a Packard with a ZIS.

Posted on: 2011/12/28 15:20
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

J.R. Buzzell
See User information
I was wondering why that car looked so different from a Packard of the era! The first thing I noticed w the red piece on the hood. Driving Miss Daisy is one of my favourite movies and the car that was on that particular ad was also too old to be in the movie, because judging by the way of everything in the beginning of the movie, it took place in 1948 or 1949. Interesting ad for a play.

Posted on: 2011/12/28 15:32
J.R. Buzzell

1949 23rd Series Deluxe Eight Touring Sedan
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/index.php?Action=view&ID=867
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
In the movie, Miss Daisy was driven around in a few different cars. The first chauffeur driven one was, I believe, a great big Hudson. I had never realized what beautiful specialty cars Hudson made until I saw that movie. Further down the road was, I believe, a 1965 or so Cadillac. No Packards though.

It's an interesting movie trick for telling the passage of time--different cars to show the time period or the passing of the years. One of my favorite directors, David Lynch, is always throwing curves at the viewer by mixing and matching cars from many different time periods from two or three decades, and usually showing the contemporary characters driving very striking 60's and 70's cars, even in settings from the '90s and later. I think he has a real eye for what particular models and colors stand out. Cars are characters, or at least moveable sculpture.

Posted on: 2011/12/29 0:46
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
I just saw The Artist, a modern silent movie, and I thought it was great. It's playing in most theaters now. A 1935 Cadillac and Pierce Arrow are in the film. The articles below mention a Bugatti, but I think it was a Packard, the second car that passes by a theater at the beginning of the film.

It's a fun movie. I'm visiting Wash DC for the holidays. The audience here was silent, yet we were watching audiences in this silent film watching a silent movie. We could tell those audiences weren't silent at all...applauding, talking to each other, and to the actors on screen.

A unique experience, unless you're really, really old.

http://jerrygarrett.wordpress.com/2011/12/18/was-this-peppy-millers-cadillac-in-the-artist/

http://jerrygarrett.wordpress.com/2011/12/19/the-cars-of-the-artist-pierce-arrow-cadillac-more/

Joe

Posted on: 2011/12/29 9:38
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

bozonono
See User information
another is the 1934 movie, Manhattan Melodrama with Clark Gable, Myrna Loy. A 30-31 packard long wheelbase touring sedan is dropping people off at the cruise ship.

Another is the 1941 Philadelphia Story with Cary Grant and Katerine Hepburn There is a sweet Packard Convertible, either a 160 or a 180.

ONe of Bette Davis early films has her as the body discovered in the trunk of a packard roadster.

Posted on: 2011/12/30 15:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
"The Last Convertible - 3 disc
Based on the best-selling novel by Anton Myrer, the three-part NBC miniseries The Last Convertible chronicles the lives of five former Harvard roommates, all of whom share the titular Packard automobile. Beginning with the quintet's graduation in 1944, the teleplay by Philip de Guere, Stephen McPherson, and Clyde Ware covers an eventful 30 years, during which time the male protagonists all take turns romancing resident heroine Chris Farris (Deborah Raffin). Perry King is top-billed as Russ Currier, with Bruce Boxleitner as George Virdon, Edward Albert as Ron Dalrymple, John Shea as Terry Garrigan, and Michael Nouri as Jean des Barres. An Emmy nomination was bestowed upon Pete Rugolo's musical score. 1979. $12.00 "

Already mentioned there.

[source:http://yourclassicmovies.weebly.com/classic-mini-series.html]

Attach file:

jpg  (28.74 KB)
757_4f08090a87fcb.jpg 720X540 px

Posted on: 2012/1/7 3:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

IrishPackard
See User information
Hi,

My Packard featured recently in an Irish television series about American presidential candidates.

The candidate is question here is Alfred E Smith.

Slan.

Pat.

Attach file:

jpg  (169.38 KB)
1195_4f08b43402093.jpg 1280X959 px

Posted on: 2012/1/7 16:08
Pat Feeney,
Galway,
Rep. of Ireland.
1934 PACKARD 1101 CLUB SEDAN
1932 DODGE BROTHERS DK8
1927 BUICK MASTER
1923 Model T Tourer
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Pat, that's funny because according to Wikipedia Mr. Smith ran for president in 1928 and 1932. Your wonderful Packard seems to be a very early 1934.

Around the World in Eighty Days
"...Fogg, who has been careful to keep track of every day in his diary, believes that he arrives home on Sunday and that he has lost his bet. However, he discovers, almost too late, that he has forgotten to adjust his timekeeping for having crossed the International Date Line and he wins his bet after all..." [Wikipedia]

Click to see original Image in a new window

At the fifty-seventh second, the door of the saloon opened, and the pendulum had not beat the sixtieth second, when Phileas Fogg appeared, followed by an excited crowd, who had forced an entrance into the club, and in his calm voice, he said, "Gentlemen, here I am!" [Jules Verne]

[picture source:http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~gent0113/idl/images/verne.jpg]

Posted on: 2012/1/7 16:34
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13) 14 15 16 ... 35 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved