Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
229 user(s) are online (147 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 228

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

When/where did worm-type hose clamps first appear?
Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Always wondered when the modern, superior worm-style hose clamps first appeared. An auld auto/aircraft/machinist friend who was around then says during WWII. Anyone know for sure, first application(s)? The CCCA still deducts points if you use anything but the original Mickey Mouse wire clamps on '30s cars, and i believe 1940, maybe '41.

Posted on: 2012/3/7 17:47
 Top  Print   

Re: When/where did worm-type hose clamps first appear?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Actually Packard used a band clamp on the senior cars that looked very similar to the micro-gear clamp. So deducting for them on Senior Packards is not the best idea. Later they went to the constant tension type with the 10-32 round head screw.

Original type clamps worked when the cars were new, but are problematic after eveything becomes pitted. Thus, sealers are required and the rubber and clamps have to be lubricated for proper function.

Posted on: 2012/3/7 18:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Thanks, Dr. Cole. Now i feel better about having the superior worm type on my '47 Super. Meanwhile, if anyone can unearth the first year/application of the modern worm style hose clamps, the Packard Trivial Pursuit in some of us'd love to know. Any WWII vets, grease money teenagers before the war or during the '40s recollect?

Posted on: 2012/3/10 19:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Your "modern worm style hose clamp" might date back to a patent issued in London for 1921 for a "Jubilee clip". The worm-gear style is commonly referred to as an aviation type clamp. I don't know that this style was ever used in OE production for any US vehicle, but has been sold in the aftermarket for automotive repair, from suppliers like Ideal and Murray, for decades.

The screw-adjusting type band clamp that I've seen on Packards in the course of regular production uses a nut and bolt to pull the two "ends" of a band together (show in profile in the attached image, below). The tensioning concept is closer to that used on the double-wire hose clamp, though the flat band likely spreads the force more evenly - provided it's installed correctly.

The Utility section (Gr. 50.675) included in some of the factory parts books shows P/N 230085 for a screw-adjusting clamp sized for the typical radiator hose. This particular number tracks back, continuously, through 10th Series; 120-115C used same type, but of a smaller diameter.

Without support of factory blueprint or equivalent, I suppose it's debatable whether this screw-adjusting clamp was OE for specific production. However, IMHO, it ought to be considered authentic for judging WRT those applications shown in the factory part books.

Attach file:

jpg  (4.20 KB)
103_4f5c28485c80b.jpg 185X189 px

Posted on: 2012/3/10 21:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Thank you, Messrs. BH et Faber. Vindicated at long last. Now i can even more proudly pop my '47's hood before even the most knowing eyes. I long since tired of concours silliness, but it i s nice to know we're authentic.

Never cease to be amazed at the breadth, scope of knowledge on this finest of sites for the world's consistently finest production automobile.

Posted on: 2012/3/10 22:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
There is a solid band-style clamp on the water-pump side of the short hose connecting the pump to the transmission oil cooler on 55-56 V8s. It has the number "30" stamped on the inside of the band. It is not a worm-style but has a screw and nut for tightening.
Many folks discard this clamp, but I prefer to keep it

Posted on: 2012/3/10 23:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
To be honest, it took a little Googling and some help from Wikipedia to discover the "Jubilee clip".

To clarify, it is the type of screw-adjusting clamp shown in the attachment of my previous post that could/should be considered authentic for show - not the worm-gear type.

At best, the worm-gear type clamp could only be considered "period correct" - provided you can show an ad from the period illustrating such a clamp. Personally, I don't think this clamp came into widespread automotive use, here in the US, until after WWII.

Yet, as long as it's your name on the vehicle title, you can use any type clamp you want.

Posted on: 2012/3/10 23:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Attached below is a pic of an actual clamp of the type that Randy is talking about.

While I've never been sure that this is the exact clamp originally supplied as P/N 230085, it looks close enough and works great with the cast water pump inlet on my V8s. The band is a bit thicker than most and slightly cupped, as if an intent to avoid cutting into the hose.

Spring wire clamps suffice for all other water connections on the car.

Attach file:

jpg  (67.88 KB)
103_4f5c2913bb438.jpg 400X300 px

Posted on: 2012/3/10 23:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A bit off topic as to the origins of the worm-gear type clamp, but for those not familiar with the range of OEM type hose clamps used in earlier years, this may prove helpful. I use the double-wire type (upper right on pg. 2)and though I don't have my cars judged often, neither PAC or CCCA have ever deducted for them. They grip very securely, never a leak or drip, and have a nice "of the era" appearance.

Attach file:

jpg  (134.13 KB)
177_4f5cacbdf03d5.jpg 899X1280 px

jpg  (123.42 KB)
177_4f5cacce63494.jpg 800X1027 px

Posted on: 2012/3/11 8:47
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Harrison
See User information
In the UK Jubille brand worm type hose clamps were and still are so widely used that now any type of hose clamp is commonly referred to as a Jubilee clip similar to the way an adjustable spanner is known as a Crescent wrench in US regardless of the manufacturer.
I don't recall them ever being used as OEM equipment on any production cars though I may be wrong but they are certainly widely used in the aftermarket.
See this link for origins.
www.jubileeclips.co.uk/about-us-history.aspx

Posted on: 2012/3/11 10:14
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved