Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
173 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 170

Don B, humanpotatohybrid, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Packards by Region
Home away from home
Home away from home

kens53clip
See User information
The northeastern states, New York, New Jersey, etc. have the traditionally old money families. The Rust Belt along the Great Lakes had the heavy industry and the heavy industry magnates. California had Hollywood. Texas had oil. Plus there is probably a difference between the dealerships started before 1935 and afterwards, since the junior cars made it possible for the middle class to have Packards.
Ken

Posted on: 2012/3/20 17:39
Ken
53 Clipper Deluxe 4 Dr.

Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
I agree on all points Ken. When you factor in Packard's introduction of the junior cars, the move opened up a whole new market for them and as you stated, provided an opportunity for average income families to own one. I guess it's hard to say when the expansion of Packard's dealership network peaked but based on Kevin's list, it would be interesting to know how many Ford and Chevy dealerships were in California compared to Ford and Chevy dealerships in the southeast. I tend to think that environment did play a major role in the number of survivor cars that made it to "old age" and more specifically cars that spent their lives in cities vs. rural environments when you factor in road conditions. There were a lot less paved roads back in the 40's and 50's especially in the more rural settings and cars, regardless of make, took a real beating vs. those located within the urban spread...and those low mileage survivors most likely stayed with older owners who lived in the city limits and rarely left them...just my worth

Posted on: 2012/3/21 7:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Interesting that the latest PAC cormorant has a story about a 53 sportster sold new by Poteet & Company, Bristol Tennessee. Nice looking car.

Posted on: 2012/3/21 21:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
I had a 56 in 59....and it was starting to go rust wise. Bubbles in rockers and over headlights.....

When I went to buy it, it was the only 51-56 Packard I found with decent rocker panels. Back in the day in the salt belt (where there was snow....) Packards were notorious rusters. I've always felt that if they had paid more attention to rust they might have lasted longer....

Posted on: 2012/3/22 1:32
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Quote:

patgreen wrote:
Back in the day in the salt belt (where there was snow....) Packards were notorious rusters. I've always felt that if they had paid more attention to rust they might have lasted longer....

I don't know Pat but it seems like I've heard that about all the makes when they were exposed to snow and road salt. I guess that prior to the introduction of corrosion protection, the only think they had to combat it was undercoating which helped with the frame and underbody but didn't take care of water contaminated with salt getting thrown into the body seams. In that respect, deep south and southwest cars had a survival advantage.

Posted on: 2012/3/22 7:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
...it seems like I've heard that about all the makes when they were exposed to snow and road salt...

Quite right!

If you can lay hands on a 35 year old edition of the JC Whitney (paper) catalog, you'll find rocker panels listed for a variety of brands. If you were the unfortunate owner of a a '65-66 "Rustang", you could get repair panels for every piece of body sheet metal except the roof and firewall. Take a look at the variety of repair panels offered for the tri-five Chevies.

The availability of repair panels simply highlights the rust prone areas of those vehicles which provided a sufficient opportunity for sales/profit in the aftermarket.
However, complete, brand-new, replacement bodies are now being produced for Mustangs, Camaros, Firebirds, Chevelles, and others.

Meanwhile, the reintroduction of calcium chloride as a de-icer and the addition of salt brine (a by-product of drilling gas wells) a pre-treatment on winter roads is starting to take its toll on contemporary vehicles.

Distribution of old cars by region simply follows the demographics of their tiem as new/late-model vehicles, but salt-water and winter driving take their toll on car populations - regardless of brand.

Posted on: 2012/3/22 9:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Quite true Brian and you're in a prime location to make that statement. I worked with a guy from Pennsylvania that said where he came from, a lot of folks had a winter and a summer car...the summer car which stayed in the garage all winter and the winter car rusting away in the driveway. He said the snow plow would come by and literally cover his car up if he left it on the side of the road. Of course if a guy is lucky emough to come across a "summer" Packard then he's got a real trophy!

Posted on: 2012/3/22 10:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Also there is rust from inside, when a car window is down, or broken. Rain gets in, and sits until it finds a way out. Carpets are good at helping that function.

Posted on: 2012/3/22 11:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Quote:

Gator wrote:
Quite true Brian and you're in a prime location to make that statement. I worked with a guy from Pennsylvania that said where he came from, a lot of folks had a winter and a summer car...the summer car which stayed in the garage all winter and the winter car rusting away in the driveway. He said the snow plow would come by and literally cover his car up if he left it on the side of the road. Of course if a guy is lucky emough to come across a "summer" Packard then he's got a real trophy!

My car was purchased from Rockford,Il and had to be one of these 'summer' cars. I think that winters and road salting are as harsh as it gets there. The car shows no signs of rusting.
Seeing the Packards in the local wrecking yards that are sitting in the open, and have been for many years, their bodies are in surprisingly good shape (not a lot of rust/rot). Maybe the low humidity here in Colorado helps.

Posted on: 2012/3/22 12:08
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved