Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
135 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 135

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 56 57 58 (59) 60 61 62 ... 72 »

Re: 51Packard's....51 Packard
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you can't get better alignment playing with which side of bracket the generator ears are mounted on, there is also a different bracket AL vs Delco if there is a chance that is not the original generator.

Posted on: 2012/3/27 22:39
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Good thought Joey, but if I am reading the parts manual right, only the earlier cars (like yours) used the spacer. I do not see one listed for 24th series cars.

Howard, parts should be original to the car. The generator is between both ends of the mounting bracket. If I tried to move it, it would be way out of whack. It's only off a little. Maybe loosening the bolts at the base of the generator bracket will give me a little room to slide it forward.

Posted on: 2012/3/28 18:11
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
3-28-12

Cut out one of the newly found rusted out sections of the trunk. Put a wire cup in the grinder and started to remove the seam sealer around the spare tire well. I thought about drilling out the spot welds and taking it out to make the metal repair around it easier. Then I thought it might be too much work and I probably would not get it back in right.

Another welding attempt also. Turned up the heat a little. Got some blow through so I guess it is penetrating. I attempted to weld the slits that formed in the metal the first time I tried to get the body off of the frame. Maybe rust behind it was causing the blow through. Don't know. Took a pic of the weld I thought was the best today.

Attach file:

jpg  (74.62 KB)
508_4f739b445f734.jpg 1280X721 px

jpg  (84.69 KB)
508_4f739b678bf98.jpg 1280X721 px

Posted on: 2012/3/28 18:16
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

51Packard wrote:
Good thought Joey, but if I am reading the parts manual right, only the earlier cars (like yours) used the spacer. I do not see one listed for 24th series cars.

Howard, parts should be original to the car. The generator is between both ends of the mounting bracket. If I tried to move it, it would be way out of whack. It's only off a little. Maybe loosening the bolts at the base of the generator bracket will give me a little room to slide it forward.

Not sure what you mean by centered but my generator has both it's mounts on one side of the bracket ears--the front. No spacers. If yours won't work like that to move the generator forward, any chance the bracket mounting holes to engine are offset slightly and that is reversed?

Posted on: 2012/3/28 18:53
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
You make want to run to harbor and buy a copper welding spoon. It should help to prevent the blow through on the thinner areas. Also useful for filling holes and gaps.

Posted on: 2012/3/28 21:08
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
BigKev, what settings are you using on your welder? I'll try some copper behind it and see, if I can get it back there.

Howard, here are some pics showing the alignment slightly off. My generator bracket is between the two ears on the generator.

Attach file:

jpg  (51.09 KB)
508_4f74545887afd.jpg 1200X676 px

jpg  (47.45 KB)
508_4f74546483e4a.jpg 1200X676 px

Posted on: 2012/3/29 7:24
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I thought there was two holes on the bracket bolting it to the block? If there is on the block but not on the bracket, then likely that bracket is from another application, OR someone homemade one (i've done it, and you can do it again.) Make one like that with a vice and some flat stock, drill both holes but slightly back of that bracket's holes so you can move it forward, and slot it and use lock washers and adjust as needed then done. I did the same when the alignment was questionable, and added a spacer up top (think it was there already) where the top bracket mounts to the block, between the block and bracket, and everything lined up great.

Posted on: 2012/3/29 8:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Also, don't quote me, but i THINK there was a difference between the 48-50 gen brackets and the 51 and up gen brackets. I remember having to mess with things because the bracket that came with my 53 motor wasn't lining up, and the 50 bracket was long gone.

Posted on: 2012/3/29 8:07
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I forget the settings. There is a chart on the inside or my welder, and I just set it up based on that for 18 gauge. If you are seeing a lot of spatter, then either the surfaces were not clean enough, or you need more shielding gas.

Also I found lots of well spaced tack welds are better than trying to lay solid beads.

Posted on: 2012/3/29 8:26
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Thanks guys. There are two bolts that hold the bracket to the engine. I broke the head off of one of them. This is the original bracket from what I can tell. I'll try and see if there is a little "give" available if I loosen the bracket to engine bolt and try to slide it forward.

BigKev, I used the chart settings originally, but the penetration wasn't there. At this point my wire feed is slower than the chart and voltage higher. I'll just keep trying. At least the metal is sticking!

Posted on: 2012/3/29 10:51
[url=h
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 56 57 58 (59) 60 61 62 ... 72 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved