Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
205 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 204

moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Tires/Tyres?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

LynnFauth
See User information
Visual inspection has revealed the need to replace the wide white Remington L 78x15s on my 53 Clipper. Realizing that tires are a personal choice, what is the advice of readers relative to the available retro tires?

Choices

BFG Silvertown
Coker
American Classics
Goodyear

Any other brands available?

While all of these are the 75-aspect ratio, I'm also interested in the 235R70x15 Vogue Radial VII; it's very similar in diameter. Would the 70-aspect ratio look ok on my Clipper?
I like the mustard and cream look of the Vogues, remembering the similarly-equipped Caddys and Packards of my dad's circle in the 50s.

Thanks for the input.

Posted on: 2012/7/23 8:41
 Top  Print   

Re: Tires/Tyres?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There are the Diamondbacks that several here have and recommend highly.

I also am looking at the American Classic site -- probably some of the same ones you are. One question might be a blurb on the Diamondback site info pages stating that a lot of the old name brand retro tires are not really their products anymore. Would wonder if that is true and the tires really are made by the company with the name or was made in the proverbial garage workshop in China. Goes on to elaborate as to things that might be of concern in that situation so possibly something to consider.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a dealer for Diamondbacks on the west coast -- at least I haven't found one listed yet. If anyone knows of one, would like to know.

Posted on: 2012/7/23 9:29
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
The Diamondbacks I got for my Packard were manufactured by Toyo, a big tire producer in Japan. They are originally a truck tire. The Toyo tires are modified by Diamondback to grind off the outer lettering and bond on a wide whitewall.

I am very happy with these tires because:
1. They are radials
2. They are tubeless
3. They look correct on the car
4. They are high quality tires from a reputable manufacturer (not Chinese)

The modern low profile Coker tires I got with the car made the Packard look like a roller skate because the OD was too small. Also the rpm on the freeway was about 10% higher than it should have been. An old Packard came with tall narrow tires, and they just do not look right with anything else in my opinion.

Posted on: 2012/7/23 9:38
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The Diamondbacks I got for my Packard were manufactured by Toyo, a big tire producer in Japan.

Did you buy directly from Diamondback and have them shipped out from NC or find someone closer?

Posted on: 2012/7/23 9:45
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
My 56 Executive (same as a Clipper) has 235 75 R15's. The CHEAPEST tire that Pep-boys auto chain sold some 12 years ago. After more than 22K miles, probably more like 26K miles they are still good but probably need replacing in the next 10K miles.

I'm not sure about 53's altho the body clearence for the 235's is most likely the same as my 56. There is an ever so slight rubbing at the rear inner fender wells but ONLY under extreme off road (ruff driveays) at very slow speed. Simply not an issue.

My recommendation is stay with the 75 aspect ration. With the streight 8 in the 53 u'll need all the tire diameter u can get. Nothing wrong with the 225 75 R15's either.

As for reproduction period correct tires my PERSONAL experience is somewhat limited and such experiences negative. Without detail, i tend to avoid them and use off-the-shelf current production tires.

U have not yet told us if your 53 is for show or for GO. That makes a difference too. IF it is for show and very minimal to very lite duty slow speed operation then the period correct reproduction tires are a must.

Posted on: 2012/7/23 13:49
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Am very happy with the diamondbacks on my 50, don't recall the size but look great and ride/handle great.

Posted on: 2012/7/23 13:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
+1 on the Diamondbacks. I purchased directly from them and got the same type tire as Fred Puhn described in his post for my 1941 model 120.

Took it for my first drive on Saturday evening and the ride and handling are remarkable.

Because they are a truck tire with a bias-tire measurements they have the correct aspect ratio you need to make the tire look period correct, i.e. NOT a radial look.

Click on their catalogue here:
http://www.dbtires.com/2012_catalog/2012catalog_Lo.pdf and go to the bottom of page 20. See their listings for "Pre-1948 Luxury Cars" fits 15" wheels.

Or give them a call and tell them what you are looking for and they are happy to help you out.

Posted on: 2012/7/23 16:05
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Stivers
See User information
Just my input on Diamondback............The owners name is Bill. He is 74 years old and a great guy to talk to. He has made for me, 2 car tires with 2.25 wide white walls on both sides, that I run on the back of my custom bobber. If you talk to one of the sales associates, they will only quote you what is on the website. Anything special needed, Bill has to approve it. My new www are coming from Diamondback. Their selection is incedible and their prices are lower than the other places. They tell you what the conversion is from the old sizes to today's sizes. You can't go wrong with Diamond back. Here is the way they sell thier tires, You request a specific size www, they choose whatever tire they happen to be using UNLESS you specify tire brand, like Goodyear, Firestone, Federal........you get the picture. Both my car/ bike tires have been Federals and I have no complaints.......just sayin

HotRod

Posted on: 2012/7/23 18:21
It is what it is....
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
I got my Diamondbacks directly from them. The company was very easy to talk to and seemed to care about the customer. This is the opposite from the experience I had with Coker a few years ago.

Posted on: 2012/7/24 9:27
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
I purchased a set of Diamondbacks they were advertised as made by Cooper and the tires I received were Cooper made in the USA . I received a quote from Diamondback Randy told me to contact Dale Mease of Mid Atlanic Packards got them through him for a little less and it helped a Packard group thus we all won.
The tires look ride and handle better than bias tires. Easy to keep clean and they stay nice and white. If you want wide white walls they are they answer

Posted on: 2012/7/24 12:34
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved