Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
200 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 199

Peter Packard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

54 Clipper heat riser
Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
I have a question about some parts that I discovered were not in place on my engine(288). I looked in the service index and found some of the information, but not all that I need.
1. My hear riser has only that counter weight on the manifold side near the firewall. No spring or cover for the spring anywhere. Should that be on the front side towards the radiator?

2. I see an tube (1 1/2 inch) that looks as though there should be a hose coming off of it on the side of the block next to the heat riser. What should the connection be and where?

3. I do I tell if the heat riser is open? It could cause my overheating as I found out in previous posts.

My manual does not show the 54 engine heat riser set up.

The car starts and runs, cooling system all clean and new, engine temp heats up in a couple of minutes.

Posted on: 2012/7/25 9:33
 Top  Print   

Re: 54 Clipper heat riser
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The coiled bimetallic spiral spring works against the counterweight such that as the spring relaxes from heat, the counterweight overcomes the spring force and drops down and opens the valve. As the engine cools, the spiral spring will gradually overcome the force of the counterweight and close the valve.

So, unless someone has monkeyed with it, the valve is open when the counterweight is in the down position. A functioning valve is nice for a few minutes after a cold start-up if you experience colder weather, but many folks have just left the valve permanently open (weight down).

Posted on: 2012/7/25 10:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I see an tube (1 1/2 inch) that looks as though there should be a hose coming off of it on the side of the block next to the heat riser. What should the connection be and where?

I can't think of anything coming directly out of the block. If you mean the opening in the rear valve cover center, then there should be an L shaped metal tube about 18" long angling slightly toward rear of engine and and down toward ground. It's shown on plate 88 of parts manual. If that's not the item, then a picture or more info would be helpful.

Posted on: 2012/7/25 10:27
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
That would be what I am looking for. Does anyone sell the tube or should I just use some hose to direct it down?

Posted on: 2012/7/25 10:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There should be plenty of parts cars with the tube. Same tube for all 51-54 Ultramatic equipped engines. I'd try for that rather than a hose. The angle at the end is shaped to set up a suction effect when car is moving. It draws air starting at the oil filler cap & thru the engine to carry the condensation and combustion products out.

Posted on: 2012/7/25 10:48
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
On my '54 it faces the radiator, and its a shaft the stick out from the manifold with a notch in it. The spring goes over that notch, and onto a post that comes of the manifold.

Posted on: 2012/7/25 11:19
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
I will be purchasing a spring and a tube shortly. Anyone have either? I have a PayPal account.

Posted on: 2012/7/25 11:28
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Springs are available new from Kanter and Max Merritt.

Posted on: 2012/7/25 11:29
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved