Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
117 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1955 Clipper V8 engine paint color
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

KD
See User information
I recently painted my 1955 Packard Clipper 320 V-8 using paint supplied from Bill Hirsch. The paint looks more pink than red. Is this correct? I've been having a hard time finding paint chips or a survivor that I could reference.

Thanks,
KD

Posted on: 2012/7/30 16:52
 Top  Print   

Re: 1955 Clipper V8 engine paint color
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I used Krylon's "Tomato" on the engine of my 55 Clipper Super. It is close to the Packard color, and looks right.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/7/30 21:32
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
One thing I found with the Bill Hirsch paints is you have to really stir the bejesus out of them as all the heavy pigment settles to the bottom of the can and solidifies. Even a paint shaker wouldnt mix it right. You have to be heavy handed with the stir stick and scrap the bottom and sides really well to break all the pigment back up, then the color will actually look better.

Posted on: 2012/7/30 23:31
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Concur 100 % with BigKev. My Hirsch ivory paint had globs of pigment on the bottom of the container. Pull up a chair, crack an adult beverage and sit on your work stoll in the garage and stir. Keep stirring until (2) beverages have been consumed. Works pretty well.

Posted on: 2012/8/1 16:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Kevin AZ wrote:
Concur 100 % with BigKev. My Hirsch ivory paint had globs of pigment on the bottom of the container. Pull up a chair, crack an adult beverage and sit on your work stoll in the garage and stir. Keep stirring until (2) beverages have been consumed. Works pretty well.

But then you have to get rid of the two beverages and by the time you're back, the paint has settled again.

Posted on: 2012/8/1 16:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Quote:

Kevin AZ wrote:

But then you have to get rid of the two beverages and by the time you're back, the paint has settled again.

True, but if you have one more, you won't mind all that much.....

Posted on: 2012/8/1 20:24
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

KD
See User information
Thanks all for the very good advice. The adult beverages will be sufficiently included in my future paint stirring.

I did stir this paint VERY well, being sure to bring up the pigment from the bottom of the can. Hirsch even includes this on the instructions emphasized on the front of the can. Even with this.... Still pink. Not the red I was expecting. I'm considering staring all over with something else, but the Hirsch paint really holds a gloss nicely. If I'm close, I'll keep it. I just don't know what the factory color looked like.

Posted on: 2012/8/4 13:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Just use a Dupont acylic enamel or other commonly available BRAND NAME auto body enamel in the color/shade that YOU THINK is rite. THat's what i've used and many others do to with excellent results.

As far as what is the 'correct shade", give or take a "shade" or two, has no precision whatsoever 40 years later unless oem mix formula is still available and that assumes the ingredients for the formula are still available.

Posted on: 2012/8/4 13:13
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Why don't you just buy one can of Krylon Tomato and do some test painting to see if it is close enough for you? I think you will be pleased with the match.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/8/4 16:14
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

KD
See User information
Thanks again for the advice all. I'm going to probably repaint with another brand that more closely resembles what I can find on the original color, which is Packard illustrations and what little original color I can find on a parts car engine.

Posted on: 2012/8/5 10:35
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved