Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
72 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 70

Jimmyk, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Two Questions about my 1954 Pacific
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Carl Hamilton
See User information
1. My Pacific was missing the gas sending unit when I bought the car,is there an after market sending unit that will work with the original dash gauge in the Pacific?

2. I have the car presently on a rotisserie, stripping, sand blasting etc. I noted on the engine side of the firewall a stamped in number that is (C82457), what does this denote about the car?

Thanks for your input, I am a novice about restoring a car.\
Carl

Posted on: 2012/8/2 15:18
 Top  Print   

Re: Two Questions about my 1954 Pacific
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The gas sender can be replaced with a 57-58 Ford unit. Here is one supplier showing a repro unit but there are several others selling similar.https://secure435.hostgator.com/~dlvry40/ufolder/CgCat.php?onepart=B7A-9275-F

The embossed number means very little anymore since it appears there aren't any factory records surviving. One of our members has collected an extensive database and might have some information. Am sure he would appreciate collecting your data if you'd like to share.

If so, that embossed or "thiefproof" number along with the Briggs number off the little tag on firewall just to the drivers side of windshield wiper motor and the series and sequence number off the tag on the door post am sure would be a nice addition to his research.

54 Pacific ID numbers should start 5477-xxxx and the motor number located on a pad on the block above the starter should start M6xxxxx.

Posted on: 2012/8/2 15:36
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes Carl, I'm the person who seems to have made a second career collecting thief-proof and vehicle number sets and I'd just love to have your VN & Briggs numbers that are associated with your C82457. Send by PM if you're concerned about confidentiality.

Your thief-proof or body dash number places your body towards the end of 1954, the highest known thus far is C87525, the lowest C56898; I wouldn't be at all surprised that the VN confirms that. By 1954 the Briggs number and the vehicle number almost always match.

If you develop an interest in the thief-proof numbers, include an email and I'll get some information to you.

Posted on: 2012/8/2 17:56
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Carl Hamilton
See User information
Hello Owen,

I think you've taken on an admorable task keeping the history of Packards, I thank you for your efforts.
I will gather the numbers on the firewall tag and the one on the door post and send them tomorrow. I am in my office presently but I do remember them matching. My e:mail is bogrunch@darientel.net.

Posted on: 2012/8/3 16:04
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Warren J. Erickson
See User information
Hi Carl:

I too am an owner of a 1954 Pacific. Good luck with your restoration. Sounds like you are doing a frame off? I'd love to do that with mine but space and funds prohibit it. So, right, it's a very presentable "10 foot" car.

Owen:

Thanks for the claification of that number. I never knew what it was either. If interested, I'll send you mine too.

Warren

Posted on: 2012/8/5 8:43
1954 Packard Pacific
1964 Studebaker GT Hawk
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Warren, I'm always interested in the thief-proof numbers if the corresponding vehicle numbers are also provided. The Briggs body# and the engine # are also great to have, where they are known.

Posted on: 2012/8/5 8:53
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Carl Hamilton
See User information
Thanks Warren,

I was right in mid restoration of a 1956 Packard Clipper when I discovered and bought the car for just $800.00 dollars. The car was here in the Southeast section of Georgia.
I stopped work on the 56 and began on this one since it's a much nicer body style, not to mention that my wife really likes this car.
I have no original paper work on the car so I don't know its origin, it has a vast amount of rust on the body and chasis, so I have to assume it was somewhere where salt was used on the roads.
I would be interested in your cars body numbers and if you have a photo, that would be nice. My e:mail is bogrunch@darientel.net
Thanks again, Carl

Posted on: 2012/8/5 18:26
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Warren J. Erickson
See User information
Hi Carl:

Sorry for the late reply, been busy with my sons. If you click on the link, at the bottom of my post. It says: "1954 packard pacific" in blue letters. It will bring you to my packard owner registry. There's a picture of it there at the last Staten Island car show. The packard owner registry is a nice feature. Like I said, it's a 10 foot car but it looks good in pictures. I too had alot of rot around the rear wheel wells. Seems to be a briggs problem. Any specific picture, you need, for your restoration I'll be happy to supply.

My firewall number is C81847. Owen, this is for you also to add to your database. Maybe you'll find some neat stuff. Like who owned it in the fifties, I'd like that!

Warren

Posted on: 2012/8/11 17:09
1954 Packard Pacific
1964 Studebaker GT Hawk
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My firewall number is C81847. Owen, this is for you

Thanks very much for the #, but it's not of much significance without the corresponding vehicle number - pls provide that as well if you can, along with the motor# if you believe the motor is original to the car. Also please note if it's a RHD car.

Posted on: 2012/8/11 17:21
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Carl Hamilton
See User information
Thanks for the picture Warren, you have a very nice looking Pacific. I sure wish mine was that far along. Carl

Posted on: 2012/8/12 8:11
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved