Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
98 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 96

Todd W. White, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1956 axles
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I have searched all the 55 and 56 STBs and SCs, but cannot find the reference to the bad axles that plagued the new Dana rearend. Memory says that the first replacement axles had a red stripe painted on them and then came a white stripe followed by a yellow stripe. I don't remember where I initially read this - it may have been in a PAC publication. Does anyone else have this documentation and would you please post it?

Posted on: 2008/5/27 20:06
 Top  Print   

Re: 1956 axles
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The initial factory notice took the form of a letter of November 2, 1955 to "All Packard Dealers", titled "IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT, REQUIRES IMMEDIATE ATTENTION".

That letter indicated that the replacement axles had a daub of either white or red paint on the end (the original axles had no paint marks). This pertained both to Packards and Clippers, and instructions for axle replacement were also part of the letter.

Subsequent to this, there was a recall of the axles with the red daub of paint, so the ultimate correctly heat-treated axles were those with white paint daub on the end. I do have a copy of the November 2, 1955 letter, but unfortunately don't have one of the subsequent recall of the the "red" axles.

Posted on: 2008/5/27 22:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
My 56 Executive has a RED AND GREEN daub on left axle flange and a bell flanged drum. The righht side is painted black.

Posted on: 2008/5/28 7:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
A better question about this issue mite be :
WHERE did the axles break????

Posted on: 2008/5/28 7:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kip56
See User information
Randy,

My 56 Caribbean has the yellow stripe on both driver and passenger sides. I can post a picture tonight if you would like to see the yellow marking. I do not however have any of the documentation.

Thanks,
Robert.

Posted on: 2008/5/28 8:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
According to the the November 2, 1955 letter to dealers, the axles broke at the flange.

My spare axles had what appeared to be yellow daubs but when cleaning and compounding the paint, it was white so I suspect yellow daubs are just oxidized cheap white paint. Never seen a green daub at an axle end.

Posted on: 2008/5/28 8:20
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Here is the link to the PDF version of the Axle Letter in question. Thanks to Dave for sharing it with the rest of us.

https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/1956%20Axle%20Letter.pdf

I will also be putting this in the Articles section for archiving purposes.

Posted on: 2008/5/28 16:43
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved